Options

Help Pick Comp Card Images

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited September 24, 2013 in People
Finally got free for a day to do a fun shoot. A young man that had senior photos done with me has decided to try his hand at modeling. He is attending a three day workshop in Chicago in October and they asked that he bring comp cards with him. I had the time and the desire to try em.

Here are a few images that jumped out at me. Let me know which ones you like and feel are comp card worthy. Please also add any critique you would care to give.

Thanks.

Dom-101-L.jpg

Dom-112-L.jpg

Dom-115-L.jpg

Dom-121-L.jpg

Dom-135-L.jpg

Dom-145-L.jpg

Dom-150-L.jpg

Dom-155-L.jpg

The whole set is here:

http://brycewilson.smugmug.com/People/Outdoor/Dominick/31924706_BXWbkJ

Thanks for taking the time to look!

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    They're all well-lit, well-posed photos (although 3/5/6 coming up just a tad green for wb on my monitor) Given that current modeling style is very aggressively "fashion" - think Calvin Klein for men - I'd say pick the ones which are most in that vein, with a couple of the more "catalog" style shots (eg the golf ones) to show that side of things. Personally, I'd keep #7 here entirely out of the mix - I think you were going for commercial-style humor, but to me it reads kinda cheesy Sorry!

From the gallery I also like 33 (tucked out shirt more modern feel, flatter lighting and very neutral background focuses on him) and 52 (for sultry look), although I might play with the crops. There are others in the newspaper/coffee series which work better than the one posted above, I think - 46 is the one that has the most natural feel for me).
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    3 and 6 are the only ones that I think make a connection.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    1-4-6-7 for me. Very nice work.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Given that current modeling style is very aggressively "fashion" - think Calvin Klein for men - I'd say pick the ones which are most in that vein, with a couple of the more "catalog" style shots (eg the golf ones) to show that side of things.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in and give me some direction. I'll be the first to admit that being more of a Brooks Brothers type of guy that I do indeed struggle with the contemporary fashion look. That would most likely be something I'd need to do a bunch of research and get current with if doing this sort of thing on a regular basis.

I do appreciate the direction given. Thanks again!
  • Options
    3 and 6 are the only ones that I think make a connection.

I appreciate your opinion! I do indeed understand the connection point on those images.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    1-4-6-7 for me. Very nice work.

Thanks Charles.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    Yeah, the others are nice "senior portraits", but for modeling I think 3 and 6 work best.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    Suggestion if there's a next time: look through the Sunday paper circulars and/or Lands End, JC Penney, Kohls, Macy's and other department store catalogs- those are not "extreme" fashion style, but give a good idea of a very useful general style le for different ages and demographics (via the different departments) thumb.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    4 and 6 are the best shots for the intended purpose. He looks good and appears natural and confident...confident being the key. 4 could use a bit more light around the head area. If I had to pick one it would be 6...by a wide margin.
    Check your greens also the first shot particularly seems to have a tint.
    2 and 5 may be tilted left (jumps out at me because I am a chronic left tilter)