Monitor Calibration / PC-MAC /Thumbs look dark on pcs

rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
edited November 3, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Help, need some feedback on this situation...
been posting my pics after slight exp. mods. in iphoto 5, using imac g5 17" / 1.6g to do this(and they look great on my mac and print very nice on my home canon p6000) .. but then if i check my site from work or other pc every thing looks way too dark,previously i had done the mac monitor cal. setting to "pc" compatible..
now i have to post 350 pics asap ( last race of the season) and i uploaded my vers 1 (looks great on my mac - but too dark on all pcs ) then did a ps/cs action to lighten them all (they look way to light now on my mac- but look much better on all pcs ive checked) this is vers 2--- (most of my potential cust use pcs)
i just ordered the calibration pics from ez-print today,and they said once i calibrate, my monitor will show actual print examples...my worry is that if they still all look too dark on my smugmug pro site to cust they wont bother to order--even if actual print matches my monitor (and would be fine when/if ordered)... do i add a note in my galleries to mention situation??!?
any guidence / sugg / feedback is welcomed!!

thanks in advance,
rich
:dunno
http://HooliganUnderground.com
Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited November 3, 2005
    You might be running into the Mac vs. PC gamma difference (1.8 vs. 2.2). You mentioned that you set the software to be compatible, but I think we need to wait for a Mac person to look at your post to offer up some ideas here.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    David,
    Thanks for fast response, and I think you're right on all counts.
    I've even thought of just running both gallery "versions" and mark 1 "pc-viewing only" (disable purchase option ) and the other " mac viewing and ordering" but seems like a lot of trouble if not needed...
    rich

http://www.hooliganunderground.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 3, 2005
    Several of the pros on the Image Print Yahoo group all have said that they currently calibrate their Macs at a gamma of 2.2 and a color temp of D65 ( 6500 Kelvin) iPhoto may be calibrated to a gamma of 1.8. I use a Spyder2Pro from Pantone Colorvision to calibrate my monitor to a gamma of 2.2.

I edit my shots on a Mac at home, and I see them on my PC at work and they look very similar, so they should be similar.

The other question is what color space are your images tagged with? There has been a number of discussions here and the consensus is that all shots heading to the web for viewing should be saved in the sRGB space. NOT Adobe - I know that many books rec Adobe - but for the WEB sRGB solves a lot of problems, since most browsers ( Safari is an exception) are not color space knowledgeable, and Adobe color space images look very desaturated on the WEB.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Went back to check/verify some of my settings...
    A) canon 20D - color space: sRGB (never changed);color temp 5200k; Parameter: "1" (canon default) also have never touched: WB, WB shift/bkt, aeb.(most my hooting is bright summer sun mid-day)
    B) i mac g5 - sys preference: Display: - 1440 x 900; brightness set about
    3/4 to the right; colors: 'millions';. Color:- 'imac calibrated'; (didnt use expert mode) set target gamma @ 2.2; target white point: "native" (hmmm - should set to d65??)

rich
    i did notice i had the option to change monitor to sRGB if i uncheck the 'show profiles for this display only' box...I'm starting to get in over my head !!
    oh yes, i use safari...
    also i havent gone into my ps/cs(8.0) to check anything in there yet, usually i just run an action to save @ j10 for smugmug upload speed (i dont change image size approx 3500x2300 from jpeg fine as ez print sugg to maintain large print size capabilitys) ne_nau.gif