New Look To The Shopping Cart

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited June 2, 2014 in SmugMug Product News
Go ahead and add some products to your shopping cart, and check out the new Look! We would love your feedback regarding the Cart, so please post it here.

This is mainly just a new look, and functionality really hasn't changed, but based on user tests we did, people found it much easier to navigate and add products too.

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2013
    Don't see an "empty cart" or "reset cart". Go into checkout and see one there but then no "return to photos".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    Allen, there is a Continue Browsing button on that page where you can clear the cart.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    I like the new look for purchasing single photos but I don't like that the new look doesn't extend to the "purchase multiple photos" page. The pages should match as much as possible - mixing the old and new looks for the cart is not good.

On the new look purchase single photo, the checkboxes on the side are almost a nice touch to help the viewer narrow down their choices. I don't offer Matte or Glossy finish photos on my site but both checkboxes are there. Funny thing though, if I only leave Matte checked I see the canvas offerings I do sell. That seems just plain odd to me.
    If finishes are not offered by the site I think the checkboxes for those finishes should be disabled.

What is the purpose of the checkbox "cannot be purchased"?

Since metalprints, thinwraps, and canvas are not photo finishes but are buttons across the top I unchecked all of the checkboxes to see what would happen. At that point nothing was available for sale - including metal, thinwraps, and canvas. Rechecking the check boxes does not re-enable sales. Going back to the gallery and clicking add to cart does not re-enable purchasing of that photo. Choosing a different photo does fix the cart.

Thanks for asking for feedback; I think this is a step in a good direction.

--- Denise
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Allen, there is a Continue Browsing button on that page where you can clear the cart.
    If I empty the cart that disappears.
    Also there is no warning that you'll lose photos in the cart if you have not entered
    a quantity and click "go back to photos". This has been mentioned in the past,
    why their cart is empty after adding a bunch of photos.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    This is mainly just a new look, and functionality really hasn't changed, but based on user tests we did, people found it much easier to navigate and add products too.

I hate to be so negative but... really?? Still not compatible with mobile devices, still doesn't show what merchandise will look like with our own pictures, still doesn't expand so we can see more products at a time, and on and on and on.

I've had confidence issues with smugmug's direction for a long time... better looks, worse (or at best the same) functionality. I figured you guys were working on a new shopping cart. This is NOT what I expected. It's exactly what I should have expected though. Knowing smugmug developers have been working away at a better looking shopping cart with no improved functionality, when there are so many features missing or broken, only strengthens my concerns.

On a side note I ran into a couple bugs the first time I used the new cart. You can see one of them in this screenshot (Firefox 23.0.1), the bottom left text gets cut off:

i-b4Kwhms-XL.jpg

I had a second issue which I can't recreate, but it happened once... After unchecking "not in my cart" (at least I think that's what it says) and checking it again, it wouldn't show any items with only Glossy checked. Items appeared when I checked other finishes, but not glossy items. Leaving the cart and entering it again made the problem go away.

Dave
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Bravo clap.gifclap.gif
    Nice job, BWG
  • ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    OK, I was logged in with Safari and went to the shopping cart just fine. But with Chrome, I am not logged in and when I clicked on a photo to purchase I get a message: "Wrong Permissions". I tried several photos - same thing.

UPDATE: Logged out in Safari and got the same message.

Colleen
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
    And one more thing - when I was logged in it showed the base price of 29¢ for a 4 x 6, but when I clicked continue, it wanted to charge me $4.00 which is my customer price.

UPDATE: The above problem was on my laptop using Safari - tried it again on my desktop and it worked fine. However, still getting the "Wrong permissions" message when I'm logged out in Chrome and Safari on both machines.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

OK, I'm logged in and I put an item in my cart and went to checkout. Then I emptied the cart. I get a message about checking my cookies and a link to an article about how cookies are needed. But there is no link to take me back to the gallery I was viewing or continue browsing.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

pilotdave wrote: »
    I hate to be so negative but... really?? Still not compatible with mobile devices, still doesn't show what merchandise will look like with our own pictures, still doesn't expand so we can see more products at a time, and on and on and on.

I've had confidence issues with smugmug's direction for a long time... better looks, worse (or at best the same) functionality. I figured you guys were working on a new shopping cart. This is NOT what I expected. It's exactly what I should have expected though. Knowing smugmug developers have been working away at a better looking shopping cart with no improved functionality, when there are so many features missing or broken, only strengthens my concerns.

On a side note I ran into a couple bugs the first time I used the new cart. You can see one of them in this screenshot (Firefox 23.0.1), the bottom left text gets cut off:

i-b4Kwhms-XL.jpg

I had a second issue which I can't recreate, but it happened once... After unchecking "not in my cart" (at least I think that's what it says) and checking it again, it wouldn't show any items with only Glossy checked. Items appeared when I checked other finishes, but not glossy items. Leaving the cart and entering it again made the problem go away.

Dave

Dave, as I said this was a simple change in the look. NOT a "new shopping cart". Please don't mistake it for that.
    ceasley wrote: »
    OK, I was logged in with Safari and went to the shopping cart just fine. But with Chrome, I am not logged in and when I clicked on a photo to purchase I get a message: "Wrong Permissions". I tried several photos - same thing.

Could this be happening because I chose to try to purchase a photo from a smart gallery, but the original gallery is password protected? I think that's it exactly because I just took the password off one of the original galleries and I'm able to get to the cart just fine. That really bites. All my public galleries are smart galleries that draw from password protected galleries. I had no idea that would mean they could not be purchased. I've taken the password off all of them for now.

Update: I reported this as a bug and was told it was, in fact, a bug and that they would look into it.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

• pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    Dave, as I said this was a simple change in the look. NOT a "new shopping cart". Please don't mistake it for that.

Understood. But if smugmug was working on an improved shopping cart system, I doubt they'd also have someone working on a new look to the old system. I can only assume a new cart is coming along at Andy's old "stay tuned" pace. Which always seemed to mean it was on somebody's to do list. Kind of disappointing but hopefully it means resources are being put into more important improvements.

Dave
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    Go ahead and add some products to your shopping cart, and check out the new Look! We would love your feedback regarding the Cart, so please post it here.

A step in the right direction for sure but keep pounding the work desk because… on initial observation:
    - I don't offer matte or glossy so there shouldn't be optional checkboxes for them as it = confusion.
    - It's not intuitive to look for a separate button for same size's… Under Photo Finishes I offer Luster, Metallic & Gilcee… The option for metal prints, canvas & thin wraps should also be listed as check boxes here. My suggestion would be to change Photo Finishes to Photo Types or Style or… something whereby all different Print Styles of the same size could be listed… then the left option would include: Luster, Metallic, Gilcee, Canvas, Metal Print, Thin Wrap & Canvas (minus glossy & matte which I don't offer).
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2013
    I don't like all the check boxes on the left! I don't offer all of those things but they are still showing up as checked options on the left! (Yes, I logged out to test that it wasn't just showing up for me logged in!)

:(

And if I empty my cart, I can't get back to where I was browsing.
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • danilewdanilew Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2013
    Once you empty the cart, there is no "continue browsing" button. In fact, there is no way to get back to my website unless I use the back button on the browser.
    Thank you,

DaniLew
    edited September 14, 2013
    Michael -
    Here's a sequence showing that the continue browsing button is removed when you click Empty Cart.

--- Denise
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    One thing I should point is that I dont like and can be confusing, even though I only set Glossy prints option in one of my galleries it shows all of the print finish or paper options. Again even though its not available because of my settings it is confusing why have them showing with a check mark and I dont have that option available in my settings for the other print options.

Now clients will see this and ask for those options or contact me because they are confused.

i-vSpqJWB-M.png
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    Great feedback everyone! Thanks for your input. I have submitted all of these to be investigated.
    One more thing about the check boxes. I'd rather my client look at only the sizes that do not need cropping, instead of it saying "require cropping" I would rather it said "Doesn't Require Cropping"
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

edited September 17, 2013
    And I have confirmed, the old shopping cart had all of the same checkboxes, just in an expandable menu, so they wouldn't have been seen as easily.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    One thing I should point is that I dont like and can be confusing, even though I only set Glossy prints option in one of my galleries it shows all of the print finish or paper options. Again even though its not available because of my settings it is confusing why have them showing with a check mark and I dont have that option available in my settings for the other print options.

Agree with this. Would only love to see checkboxes for options that are available.

Additionally, I think it would be MUCH cleaner if the different paper types were scrunched down into a DROP-DOWN menu instead of as additional rows. Each paper SIZE should be ONE row and the different options for that size are listed. As it stands now, the list of products goes on for miles and miles and miles because there's so many options.

Lets say you offer 4 paper types for a given size, and you offer 10 sizes. The user now sees FORTY different options on the screen. That's quite intimidating! Squishing it down to 10 options looks much more visually appealing.

I've lost several costumers due to the fact that they got to the shopping cart screen and were frozen on what choice to make. They saw so many options on the screen and were confused about the differences that they decided NOT TO BUY! That's really bad and there was nothing I could do about it. One time a customer got so confused by all the options that they placed an order for a "Metallic Print" instead of a "MetalPrint". The print was supposed to be a birthday gift. By the time we sorted it out and cancelled the order the birthday had passed and the customer had gotten a different gift. I lost an order.

Moral of the story: if you're going to give the Shopping Cart a redesign, can we make it slightly more useful by slimming things down a bit. List each paper size, then have some menu for paper type options.

I also agree with:
    One more thing about the check boxes. I'd rather my client look at only the sizes that do not need cropping, instead of it saying "require cropping" I would rather it said "Doesn't Require Cropping"
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • androidtandroidt Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    Agree with this. Would only love to see checkboxes for options that are available.

I also agree with this. I currently only offer metal prints and having all the photo finishes is confusing to my customers. They are not aware they are filters and think it has something to do with the metal finish. I would like an option so none of the filters are present. I only offer 6-7 sizes so filters are not necessary for me.
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    Already have customers asking me about which finish to "check" - we don't offer most of them but they don't understand the check boxes. :( Please make them go away for products not offered!
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    edited September 25, 2013
    Already have customers asking me about which finish to "check" - we don't offer most of them but they don't understand the check boxes. :( Please make them go away for products not offered!

Thanks for the feedback. I have been working with the team to see what our options are. I will keep you posted.
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2013
    Wow! I had no idea the Cart was so messed up. Must be as only the "look" has changed. Hope y'all iron this out as it seems a properly functioning Cart should be a pretty high priority item for SmugMug. Wonder what would ACTUALLY happen if someone selected one of those boxes that the owner has set to not support. Would the transaction go through anyway? Or would it just blow up and give or not give an error message?
    edited September 27, 2013
    Wonder what would ACTUALLY happen if someone selected one of those boxes that the owner has set to not support. Would the transaction go through anyway? Or would it just blow up and give or not give an error message?
    That's easy for you to try!

If the box is selected and the owner does not support the item the product will not be offered for sale. You can try it on my site if you'd like (without actually purchasing) - I don't offer prints in matte and glossy. If you click matte and glossy and unclick the other finishes you will see that there is nothing offered in the standard prints section.

--- Denise
  • JSS44JSS44 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2013
    I agree with many of these comments. It is confusing that all of the photo finishes on the left are already checked. That makes it seem like the customer has indicated they want to buy each finish. It is also confusing that all of the photo finish options are listed even though I only make one finish available for purchase. As others have suggested, the cart should only list finishes on the left that are actually offered by the seller.

In addition, I don't understand what any of the choices under "Products" mean. Regarding the "Require cropping" option, from other comments here it sounds like the intended meaning is an option to only show photos that do not require cropping. This should definitely be clarified. Also, I already set up my price lists so that the only sizes offered for an image are those that don't require cropping. There should be a way for the seller to remove from the cart any reference to cropping. Or even better, a way for the seller have the cart automatically only show sizes that don't require cropping. As for the "Not in my cart" and "Cannot be purchased" options, I don't understand those at all.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    The cart has had, and continues to have, many problems. If it's not intuitive, a customer will bail on the order instead of trying to wade through all those checkboxes, product video, etc. And please, get rid of "The Goods." It's beyond unprofessional.
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    JSS44 wrote: »
    I agree with many of these comments. It is confusing that all of the photo finishes on the left are already checked. That makes it seem like the customer has indicated they want to buy each finish. It is also confusing that all of the photo finish options are listed even though I only make one finish available for purchase. As others have suggested, the cart should only list finishes on the left that are actually offered by the seller.

In addition, I don't understand what any of the choices under "Products" mean. Regarding the "Require cropping" option, from other comments here it sounds like the intended meaning is an option to only show photos that do not require cropping. This should definitely be clarified. Also, I already set up my price lists so that the only sizes offered for an image are those that don't require cropping. There should be a way for the seller to remove from the cart any reference to cropping. Or even better, a way for the seller have the cart automatically only show sizes that don't require cropping. As for the "Not in my cart" and "Cannot be purchased" options, I don't understand those at all.

I hate to say this, but it only took me 30 seconds to figure out what was going on in the cart. The check boxes "drill down" which items the user wants to see. All are checked at the start to show all possible offerings of that type. I guess it might be a bit backwards, but most sales sites show you all the items in the large category until you click to narrow it down...
    I shop Best Buy for instance. I was looking a 2 in 1 laptop. When I go to that broad category I can then click boxes to narrow my search. SM does it the other way... narrow the search by unclicking... backwards but I get it.