HATE IT! Sigmas new 'S' 120-300 f/2.8

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited September 28, 2013 in Accessories
What a waste of money. Thought I'd share some pics.

Each one at a different event.

:dunno Maybe its my camera, but it works fine with all my other lenses. :scratch

DAV_4583-L.jpg

DAV_4379-L.jpg

DAV_4654-L.jpg

And it wont focus either. Unless it connects again, and it can be sharp. Even bought the dumb little dock.

It works, then it don't, then it does, then it doesn't. If i twist the body just right it will work. Yeah, that helps during an action packed game.

Oh yeah, Emailed Simga two weeks ago, and they seem to care less, cause I have not had a single reply.

10-12-13.

Got a second one. :(:

My second one came broken, so it went back to Sigma and now its back, and so far... working good.

Comments

• EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2013
    It breaks connection with camera and goes to f/2 or f/90. Usually f/2 and wont focus, and if I miss it, I get black images. I use D800 with grip and usually a flash cord (for games). Day or night, it still does this.

These are all f/2

I have the Nikkor 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200 2.8's and no probs with any of them. I also have an old 15mm Sigma, no probs. I did send the D800 back to the service center a few months ago, and its been much sharper since. But this kills me for shellin out almost $4k.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    Sorry, but I personally know three Nikon photographers who all hated this lens and returned them after just a few weeks. None had the communication issue you describe, but they all complained of soft images on D4 and D800 bodies.

Do you need the flexibility of a zoom? If not, you would be better served selecting a prime focal length and getting the best lens you can afford at that length.
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Sorry, but I personally know three Nikon photographers who all hated this lens and returned them after just a few weeks. None had the communication issue you describe, but they all complained of soft images on D4 and D800 bodies.

Do you need the flexibility of a zoom? If not, you would be better served selecting a prime focal length and getting the best lens you can afford at that length.

And they all used the new one? That just came out a month or two ago?

If I had $7k I'd get the factory one for sure.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    First suggestion is to clean the contacts on both the camera and lens.

Second suggestion is to try another body.

If that doesn't help, send Sigma another e-mail describing the problem and ask for an exchange. If you don't get a response in a day or so, try using another e-mail account.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    Sigma Corporation of America
    Attn: Service Department
    15 Fleetwood Court
    Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
    Tel: 631 227-2036
    Toll Free Tel: 800 896-6858
    Fax: 631 585-1895
    E-mail: info@sigmaphoto.com
    Rich
    And they all used the new one? That just came out a month or two ago?

If I had $7k I'd get the factory one for sure.

Yes, the new version. One person had the lousy old version and swore off sigma. He tried the new one after reading positive reviews but was disappointed again.
    edited September 17, 2013

Yes, I think it would be too limiting to be fixed all the time. But I've thought about it...
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    First suggestion is to clean the contacts on both the camera and lens.

Second suggestion is to try another body.

If that doesn't help, send Sigma another e-mail describing the problem and ask for an exchange. If you don't get a response in a day or so, try using another e-mail account.

I dropped it off to some friends who have a D700 and D4. We'll see after they get a chance to play with it.
    rkw624 wrote: »
    Sigma Corporation of America
    Attn: Service Department
    15 Fleetwood Court
    Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
    Tel: 631 227-2036
    Toll Free Tel: 800 896-6858
    Fax: 631 585-1895
    E-mail: info@sigmaphoto.com

Called them today, some smug ahole of a guy said to return it or send it in, and kinda like "yeah so?"

Yes, the new version. One person had the lousy old version and swore off sigma. He tried the new one after reading positive reviews but was disappointed again.

Thats too bad. When it works I'm really digging it. Its sharp, and if I took the time to do the lens calibration thing with the USB dock, I bet it would really be outstanding.

I just need to fix the connection thing. Its got to be a minute little adjustment.
    edited September 25, 2013
    Sent it back, got a new one, and it came with rear cap off. And this little piece broke off.

:boid

photo-L.jpg
  • photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2013
    what a nightmare. you could try their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SigmaCorporationofAmerica?fref=ts
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    That's terrible.
    I have to say though, that my experiences with Sigma lenses have been totally satisfactory. I have three, and my latest (the "old" version of the 120-300) is the best sports lens I've ever used. Yes, better than the AF Nikkor 300mm f/2.8, and the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited September 27, 2013
    Crazy as it may be, and completely unscientific, but I set up a table top tripod, some lights and stuff to focus on, and wouldn't ya know, that dang Sigma came out sharper than my trusty 70-200. I cropped them at 100% and did the split view screen, and that dang Sigma is pretty right on. Still pissed that it's got a broken piece.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2013
    Confirms My Experience
    No, you're not crazy. Check out the resolution chart I shot in this thread.
    And note that this was actually shot with the Sigma 1.4X TC on the lens so, if anything, it might be a little degraded. :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited September 28, 2013
    Weird. And for what its worth, took the new copy to a game tonight, and got the same black images. It kept disconnecting, and missing shots. ne_nau.gif