Options

African Safari in South Florida (huh?)

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 28, 2013 in Wildlife
OK... maybe not as cool as a real safari like the one Harry and Andy experienced but I had a great time at Lion Country Safari in South Florida. It's a large preserve that hosts a ton of different animals. It's about a 4 mile drive through the preserve.

It was raining the entire time which made for some outstanding light. This is not my usual fare, I'm a people shooter, but I'm pretty happy with the shots.

1 - Gemsbok Gazelle
Lion%20Country%20Safari-2-XL.jpg

2 - African Lion
Lion%20Country%20Safari-4-XL.jpg

3 - Asiatic Water Buffalo
Lion%20Country%20Safari-8-XL.jpg

4 - Asiatic Water Buffalo
Lion%20Country%20Safari-10-XL.jpg

5 - Impala (i think)
Lion%20Country%20Safari-7-XL.jpg

6 - Wildebeest
Lion%20Country%20Safari-13-XL.jpg

7 - Southern White Rhino
Lion%20Country%20Safari-16-XL.jpg

8 - Southern White Rhino
Lion%20Country%20Safari-19-XL.jpg

9 - Southern White Rhino
Lion%20Country%20Safari-21-XL.jpg

10 - Southern White Rhino
Lion%20Country%20Safari-22-XL.jpg

11 - Giant Zebra
Lion%20Country%20Safari-24-XL.jpg

12 - Chimpazee
Lion%20Country%20Safari-26-XL.jpg

13 - Giant Zebra
Lion%20Country%20Safari-25-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited September 26, 2013
    That light was sweet. The shine from the wet hide on that baby rhino makes that shot. What type of gazelle is that in the first pic (which is fantastic, BTW)?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2013
    Thanks David. As I said, it was a pleasant surprise since it was spur of the moment to go and my expectations were quite low. I have quite a lot of great shots from the day and had trouble choosing which to add here. As it is, I think I went a little overboard with number posted.

I've updated the photo titles with the names of each of the animals that I grabbed out of the guide they gave us at the entrance. The gazelle you asked about is a "Gemsbok" or Oryx Gazella Gazella. Very pretty animal. They are all actually.

The rhinos were absolutely amazing. At one point, I thought one of the adults was going to ram our car. It was right up against it. It was wild! Of all the shots, the rhinos are my fav but I also love that wildebeest shot and the shot of the chimps. Something about the chimps shot clicks with me.

Thanks for commenting.

Alex

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2013
    Beautiful set of images especially the rhinos. The weather really provided you with some wonderful light that you used well.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2013
    Thanks Harry.

My Smug Site