Options

Lightroom not carrying Develop settings into SmugMug

MotoriderMotorider Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited October 1, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I'm running LR 5.2 with SM plugin 2.0.4.

Lets say I change an image from color to B&W in LR.
- It gets correctly flagged as needing to be republished in LR
- After republishing it, SM continues to show the original color image

This happens if I change other 'Develop' settings in LR also. Isn't SM supposed to display exactly what LR shows as being published? This seems too obvious to be a bug, I must be missing something here.

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 30, 2013
    G'day motorider,

What do you currently have the "Image Format" set to ? If it's set to "Original", the original unedited photo will always be exported.

Lightroom%20Publishing%20Manager%20and%20Lightroom%205%20Catalog.lrcat%20-%20Adobe%20Photoshop%20Lightroom%20-%20Library.png

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2013
    Ahhh, that's what 'Original' means! As you said, when I set it to JPEG it now carries my Develop settings from LR into SM. Although I did have to remove & republish those images in LR for the Develop changes I had previously set to take effect in SM (I never tried it with a setting less than 100% though). Thanks David.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 1, 2013
    Yeah, that's standard LR functionality rather than something we implemented.

In regard to removing and republishing, you don't have to do that...you can simply select the photos and right-click and select "Mark to Republish". And undo that by selecting "Mark as Up-To-Date".

You don't really need to save with 100% quality, it exponentially increases the filesize without really increasing image quality once you are over 92% or so. Jeffrey Friedl wrote a good article about it.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2013
    David,

Thanks for the very helpful information about "Mark to Republish" & "Mark as Up-To-Date", I'll give it a try. And especially for the pointer to Jeffrey's very enlightening article, it will certainly change the way I export JPEGs. I have to say though that I wasn't concerned with file size in SM because I was told here that SM automatically resizes my images online, and my main goal here is to allow my family to download the very best quality images I have (in case they wanted to print them). With that in mind, how would you suggest I set the quality for these images?

One thing that's not intuitive with the SM plugin is that 'Original' setting. I would have thought that if I had a JPEG original in LR, that I was just exporting the file again as a JPEG (hence I shouldn't change it from 'Original'). Perhaps if it's a LR thing that you can't change, maybe you could add a note that tells users that 'Original' actually means that it will export a copy of the 'unedited original' image in LR (disregarding any Develop alterations made to the image in LR).