Options

Teen headshots

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 3, 2013 in People
C&C always welcome!

Other than Mini-D, I haven't done headshots for kids/teens, so wasn't quite sure how it would go, but had a lot of fun with this pretty teenager. She's done some acting, and maybe wants to consider some modeling; she's only 5'5" ish, but she's a natural in front of the camera.

And ~drumroll~ I have FINALLY found an easy, nearby, relatively-open-access (but not crowded) location to use at the weekend. It was soooo nice to be able to step back a little, and use the 70-200 without worrying all the time (and that lens is rivalling the 135L at times - I am so glad I took the plunge and got it!).

1 i-HHKk7BS-L.jpg

i-3RzTCLG-XL.jpg

3. (see if you can guess 1. location 2. light sources. Muahahahahaha :D)

i-QJRHMp2-XL.jpg

4. Curious if the comp on this works for others or not. I really like the green, but wonder if it's distracting for some?

i-2KbzBXz-L.jpg

i-nxLqWqs-L.jpg

i-VxLp9PK-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    1 and 5 are stunning! I have a nit about 6 though. The midtones in her skin are a bit too yellow. Besides that, I like this set :)
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2013
    Thanks MG! Do you mean 6? I see a bit too much yellow in 5, but 6 is if anything on the magenta side (not by the numbers, just looking at it).

It was a fun set - even though we had unexpected BRIGHT sun and wind (not what we - or the weather report - had anticipated lol) there were loads of neat little shaded places we could shoot. I am SO excited to have thought of this spot! Shooting at the weekends has always been a real problem for me - home is tough on the family, and parks are usually filled with people and it's hard to get on with the job because of distractions. We had a few people who needed to get past us on the bridge, but it wasn't a problem at all. It's also close enough to home that for extended shoots, I can easily do indoor/outdoor looks without a lot of "on location" hassle :)
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2013
    Can't resist one more :)

i-m4WCFBK-XL.jpg
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2013
    #1 is the winner here for me. I like the crop and her expression is just perfect.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2013
    #1, #5 and #6 are my faves. I like the closer crops, I guess. I like the wind-treated hair, and her eyes are gorgeous!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    I'd be very happy to have taken these and I'm sure she is happy with them too. I love the backgrounds on 2,4,5, they look very "designed" like something out of a clothing catalog. A few comments:

1, A little cool? I'm sure you'll deal with the fly-away hairs. Great eyes.
    2, Face and eyes a little dim?
    4, I like the green on the right very much, but I don't like her expression.
    5, My fav. Love the shadows of the louvers. Great eyes.
    6, Could use a little more brightness
    7, My runner-up, I like the pose.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2013
    Thanks guys!

Jack, those "louvers" are actually the shadows from the bridge in #2 - sat her down with her back to the sun and played :)

I like the pose in that last one too. Even with very specific direction, it was REALLY hard to get her to *not* just turn straight to me and to separate her head from her shoulders, so I was pleased to have at least a few with angles.

Since nobody guessed the location: It's the roof of a multi-story parking lot, and the bridge is a footbridge to the buildings across the street. Seriously.Awesome. Can't WAIT to shoot there again!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    like 1 4 and 5. The couldn't resist shot is my favorite of those posted.
    As mentioned the color doesn't look quite "right" of course these days people use so many color variations in portraits.
    Overall a really nice set.
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2013
    Thanks Zoomer! I really like that added one as well - no idea why I didn't "see" it on the first pass :) Good to see you posting! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2013
    I like the set, but I'm not a fan of the crops. That's a personal nitpick. I'm more go in closer if you are going to crop than just copping a little bit of the top of the head.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2013
    Yeah, I do seem to have clipped just the tip of her head on most of these. That said, it's kind of typical in Headshot Land - I just get eyes where I want them and don't worry too much about the edges (as long as I don't have amuptations or other cropping infractions). The 8x10 thing is a pain too - I find it a really annoying aspect ratio. I try to remember to shoot loose enough that I can crop in elegantly, but sometimes it doesn't work out quite like that lol
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    Looked at them with my director's hat on (and for me that's stage, not filem), and I love the set. I especially appreciated 1, 3, 5 and 6. She is very expressive and (as #3 hints) seems to have a mischievous spark...always an appealing trait. Did you do any contemplative or serious shots? Just curious.

She is a beautiful young lady and I'll bet she is thrilled. You certainly did find a great location. (BTW, on my monitor #7 has a slight yellow cast on the teeth. I don't see that in the other shots.)
  • Options
    kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    need more contrast on her face