Options

[Implemented Google Adsense] Google Adsense alternative

shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited October 5, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi guys. Since the new smug has taken off, I've lost the ability to bring in ad revenue using adsense. Apparently the new site doesn't support Java. Does anyone know a work around that will allow me to display adsense ads without using Java?

Also are there any other AD sites I can use instead?

Comments

• Options
    shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Anyone?
  • Options
    eddiefeddief Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    Anyone?

I'm in the same boat. From what I see in the forums, There's a big uproar over all the customization which was taken away. Hopefully, we'll get some of that back. For now, I've been checking out ZENFOLIO, which lets you have a separate EXTERNAL homepage, so you can put anything you want on there. Which would work for me.

And yes, I have definitely seen many ad publishing sites which offer code in HTML format. I don't recall the names. Just do searches for ad publishers.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    The HTML code you've seen is probably based on iframes, which are also not supported on SmugMug.
  • Options
    AdamNPAdamNP Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    I've brought this up several times since the new SM rolled out. I was more than covering my annual payment here with Adsense alone. I just posted a thread for this in the Feature Request forum. I'm very pessimistic it will be done, but if you want the same, please add your voice to it.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238494
  • Options
    chrislundiechrislundie Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    This is crazy I feel like we are losing here, if we can't do at least what we could originally why stay. Sure it looks better but functionaliyu for the ned user seems to be redcued and the ability for me to no longer make ad revue is crazy. We are told full "customization and its like more limited customization"
  • Options
    d3needshelpd3needshelp Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    Following...
  • Options
    Band ParadesBand Parades Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    I think this is a total disgrace, I would have imagined before releasing the new smugmug, their developers or at least one of them would have thought about google adsense .. I like many others on here are losing money, this is what covers my monthly fee for smugmug. I have messaged smugmug asking about the google adsense and if it's at all possible to switch back to smugmug legacy, to which I received the automatic email within a day saying the usual stuff

"This is a confirmation email letting you know that we have received your email. Due to the overwhelming response and interest in New SmugMug, and for the first time in our company's history", then i received another the following day saying

"Thanks for contacting SmugMug support :)

I'm certainly sorry that Google Adsense is not available with new SmugMug at this time. The JavaScript coding is something we're working on, and there will be more information in the future.

Unfortunately, once you unveil your new site, we are unable to revert your account back to legacy SmugMug. I apologize for any inconvenience!

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,"

I feel we're all getting fobbed off instead of someone actually coming out and saying "it's not going to happen" or if it is .. when !!!!!

SMUGMUG don't keep us in the dark .. after all we are paying customers ........
  • Options
    gcortezgcortez Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 25, 2013
    I was a happy SmugMug paying customer until they took away ability to add adsense. Anybody here can suggest a different image hosting site that supports adsense?
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2013
    It'd be a lot more work to move to a different provider (which will have its own lack of features you want) than it would be to just wait until the Adsense content block is released, since it's now in testing that means it's very close to release.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2013
    I've a question about adsense. Can you specify what is advertised on your site, or does Google choose? Can a user decide to only show ads relevant to the pages the user is on. Say I have an adsense block on my wedding pages, can I specify Google to place only weddings ads, not wedding photographers, but bridal shops, etc.?
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2013
    Typically, Google chooses. You have the option of blocking specific categories of advert, or blocking particular domain names. If you want to spend all day approving adverts, you could enable the Ad Review Center, which allows you to approve adverts before they run, although you'll end up with a drop in ad revenue as fewer advertisers will be bidding in the auction for space on your website.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    It'd be a lot more work to move to a different provider (which will have its own lack of features you want) than it would be to just wait until the Adsense content block is released, since it's now in testing that means it's very close to release.

Is there any chance you could let us know roughly an eta and will you be posting here when it happens.
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion, I'm not SmugMug staff! However, I'll bet that we see that block within the next 3 weeks, for no real reason (just my spidey-sense).

I can reply here when I see SmugMug's announcement.
  • Options
    Lamah wrote: »
    Sorry for the confusion, I'm not SmugMug staff! However, I'll bet that we see that block within the next 3 weeks, for no real reason (just my spidey-sense).

I can reply here when I see SmugMug's announcement.

Oh sorry ..
    That would be great, many thanks
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 5, 2013
    Adsense content block is now available.

See AdSense Content Block. Per Michael's request, feedback and questions should be placed in that thread.

--- Denise