How to display folder and gallery descriptions in new Smugmug?

vwlovr63vwlovr63 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 19, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
I can't find the option for this.... In my old smugmug I was able to have the Folder and Gallery descriptions display under the title of each, directly next to the feature photo. This was essential to my preferred way to organize and navigate the site. I described what was in each folder or gallery, without having to click in to the gallery to see the description.

I've been screwing with this for 2 days now trying to find an option to bring them back. I even upgraded my account from Basic to Power just to see if they removed the option for basic users. Now I have a Power account I don't even need and still can't seem to make those darn descriptions come back. So I emailed Smugmug support and they suggested I come ask here, so here I am! Appreciate your help! I assume I'm missing something that's right in front of my nose.

Comments

• MotorsportsMotorsports Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Go to the appropriate folder or gallery and then choose customise/folder (or gallery) settings. In the dialog that opens on the basics tab the 'title' field is the one that shows underneath so make sure that is populated.
    Mike

http://photos.gridshots.com
  • vwlovr63vwlovr63 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2013
    Go to the appropriate folder or gallery and then choose customise/folder (or gallery) settings. In the dialog that opens on the basics tab the 'title' field is the one that shows underneath so make sure that is populated.

Ah, but the title will trail off if it's more than about 2 or 3 words. I have on average 2-3 sentences that used to appear in addition to the title, prior to opening the gallery. Used to be you'd see a list of your folders and a little description next to it, saying how many albums, how many photos, when it was last modified, etc. And next to albums, you could write a nice informative description. I wish I had taken screenshots before migration. But for example:
    Christmas 2012
    [100 photos, last modified 1/1/13]
    We went to Hawaii and learned to scuba dive!

Christmas 2011
    [100 photos, last modified 1/1/12]
    We toured around the country visiting our family and friends!
    Now it's like I have all these ill-described galleries just sort of mashed together with just their titles. And if the title was longer than about 40 characters, it just runs off the side.
    "Our Fun Christmas 201..." Super helpful. eek7.gif
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 5, 2013
  • starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    In other words, you can't do it.

This was a feature that was important to me, too, because it told me what was in the galleries. My naming convention includes a date and a description for each gallery, and those lengths are often too long to fit in the newly configured view. So I have to guess what's in the folder.
  • kp2000kp2000 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2013
    Yep, we need FULL titles and descriptions back!
    I'm not pressing the unveil button until I can show meaningful titles and descriptions with my galleries.
  • nwardripnwardrip Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2015
    Please bring this back! It is essential to how I organize! Also, you must add a date property to each gallery so that galleries can be auto-sorted on date within a folder. The add date and modified date don't cut it.
  • burtenshawburtenshaw Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2015
    I would REALLY like to have this as well. It is the main reason I haven't upgraded to the new Smugmug. With thousands of galleries and over a million images this is a big deal to me.
  • burtenshawburtenshaw Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2015
    burtenshaw wrote: »
    I would REALLY like to have this as well. It is the main reason I haven't upgraded to the new Smugmug. With thousands of galleries and over a million images this is a big deal to me.

Adding this CSS code allowed the complete gallery name to display.

/* Place Titles on Thumbnails in Folders.
    Will wrap the long gallery titles in the grid format. */
    .sm-tiles-grid .sm-tile-info p {
    padding-left: 24px !important;
    padding-right: 0!important;
    overflow: visible !important;
    white-space:normal !important;
    height: auto !important;
    }
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

Resurrecting an old but I think most pertinent thread...

This is labeled "planned" in the suggestions area (feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/12348453-add-a-displayable-folder-description-to-folders.

Any chance there is a (even very vague) time frame attached to that planning?