It's Here!!!

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited October 7, 2013 in Finishing School
Photoshop CC for Photographers!! Get it while it's hot. :clap

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    $9.99 per month? Wow!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    While $10.00 per month is a good value, it doesn't solve the real issue with this CC cloud stuff.

You / I / we don't have a hard copy with a perpetual license. No one knows what the future will bring
    or what policies, problems, pricing, etc can arise which could prevent access / use of your CC version. The non use period could be short or long. At a time where you need it the least or at a critical time.

While you will still have the files, you will have lost all the organization and work you have done.

Don't drink the cool aid. Resistance is not futile.

Sam
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    Sam wrote: »
    While $10.00 per month is a good value, it doesn't solve the real issue with this Don't drink the cool aid. Resistance is not futile.

Just don't paint yourself into a corner. Save as TIFF, not a proprietary file format like PSD. If you have to bail on the subscription, do it wisely with a back up plan in mind. Understand that all proprietary processing, an Adobe product, a Microsoft product, a product from any company is just that, proprietary and if you move away from that process, you leave behind a lot of functionality. You need to plan how you'll move your assets into something else.

Frankly, the deal is pretty darn good considering what it cost every 18 months or so to upgrade. And with the new model, you'll see updates with NEW features regularly along with bug fixes instead of having to wait those 18 months. Do the math, it's a pretty darn good deal.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2013
    oops...never mind.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    arodney wrote: »
    Just don't paint yourself into a corner. Save as TIFF, not a proprietary file format like PSD. If you have to bail on the subscription, do it wisely with a back up plan in mind. Understand that all proprietary processing, an Adobe product, a Microsoft product, a product from any company is just that, proprietary and if you move away from that process, you leave behind a lot of functionality. You need to plan how you'll move your assets into something else.

Frankly, the deal is pretty darn good considering what it cost every 18 months or so to upgrade. And with the new model, you'll see updates with NEW features regularly along with bug fixes instead of having to wait those 18 months. Do the math, it's a pretty darn good deal.

This is called, the teaser, the bait, the taste, the loss leader, the pain you feel after gobbling it up is the hook being set.

Disclaimer: I don't hate Adobe. Their products have been industry leading state of the art. I want to continue to use them, but I do object to this subscription model.

If Adobe were to offer say a LR CS photography package for sale, and then an option to subscribe to the maintenance and update service for say &10.00 a month, I would be interested. This way if I choose not to take the service package I still have the original program. They would need to make the service update service worth while. That would ensure Adobe keeps working hard and we will keep buying by choice not forced necessity.

Them is my opinions.

Sam
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    I already own CS5. They can't take that away from me. I already own LR5. They can't take that away from me. If I'm worried that some years down the road, I'm going to bail out of CC, I always have the option of exporting all my work as jpgs before I pull the plug. Most of my keepers are up on my SmugMug website anyway. I'm not concerned about what "might" happen way down the line. $120 per year for perpetual upgrades seems like a pretty good deal. Don't pass up a damned good deal because it might not be perfect.
    Sam, don't you already own PS and LR? What's your worry? I don't understand your concern at all.
    John :
    Earache wrote: »
    The ISP limits bandwidth usage on a monthly basis - in my plan package, 15GB up+down - and I guarantee that I pay more for the privilege than city slickers.
    So, many net activities are just out of the question - on-line gaming, cloud back-up, on-line movies, Adobe?, etc.
    Also, there is often a sketchy connection due to weather and technical issues, and (long) latency is very annoying.

Eric, I think you misunderstand the CC model. The software resides on your computer. You download LR and PS once. You're not working in the cloud. You're working on your computer just like you always have been. I think your concerns are baseless.
    John :
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2013
    Icebear wrote: »
    Eric, I think you misunderstand the CC model. The software resides on your computer. You download LR and PS once. You're not working in the cloud. You're working on your computer just like you always have been. I think your concerns are baseless.
    You're right, I don't know that much about the Adobe CC model (and I have been curious about it), that's why I put a question mark about that - I was just musing about cloud computing in general and I should have posed a question and not gone OT in your thread - sorry about that - it's like, dang - did I say that out-loud?
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    I already own CS5. They can't take that away from me. I already own LR5. They can't take that away from me. If I'm worried that some years down the road, I'm going to bail out of CC, I always have the option of exporting all my work as jpgs before I pull the plug. Most of my keepers are up on my SmugMug website anyway. I'm not concerned about what "might" happen way down the line. $120 per year for perpetual upgrades seems like a pretty good deal. Don't pass up a damned good deal because it might not be perfect.
    Sam, don't you already own PS and LR? What's your worry? I don't understand your concern at all.

I believe I stated my "worry". I don't understand your lack of at least contemplating the many concerns expressed.

Stop and think about it for a minute. First I read Adobe CC would cost $50.00 per month for all the programs.

I heard lots of complaints. Then I see Adobe CC for photographers is available for the reduced price of $29.95.

That didn't seem to go over real well so now we have $10.00.

Ya see a trend here? What would the price be without any blow back?

Lets speculate a little. CC is $10.00 now, next year $20.00, the year after $30.00. Hardware, software, OS is also changing. At some point sooner or later our existing CS6 and LR5 will not be compatible with the new computers.

At this point you (will be), (possibly be), stuck with paying what ever or starting over with products that are less then state of the art.

Once Adobe has established the cloud marketing plan there will be no going back or compromise. If any options or compromises are to be had, now would be the time, there will will be no later time.

Many companies go through an aging process. First the priority is product quality, and innovation. Next increasing distribution and marketing. Then IPO and mega riches. Then the priority changes to the stockholders and increasing profit. Profit is NOT a bad word, but when it becomes the only word it's bad for both the company and the companies customers.

Sam
  • rdallandrdalland Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    Lets speculate a little. CC is $10.00 now, next year $20.00, the year after $30.00.

FWIW

From the Adobe CC FAQ:

Will the cost of my Photoshop Photography Program membership increase?

Customers who sign up by December 31, 2013 will be able to continue their membership. This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price.
    From the Adobe CC FAQ:

Will the cost of my Photoshop Photography Program membership increase?

Customers who sign up by December 31, 2013 will be able to continue their membership. This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price.[/QUOTE]

Terms and conditions

VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. Eligible customers may purchase an Adobe Creative Cloud membership to Photoshop CC™ and Adobe® Photoshop Lightroom 5 bundled together for a reduced price. Offer valid for purchases of an annual plan, which requires a 12-month contract. This offer is only available to customers who own an older version of a Photoshop or Photoshop Extended product, version CS3 or later (CS3.x, CS4, CS5.x, or CS6), and who purchase directly from the Adobe Store or by calling a regional Adobe Call Center. This offer is not available to Education, OEM, or volume licensing customers. Residents of embargoed countries are not eligible. This offer is limited to one (1) purchase per customer. Offer is subject to U.S. export control laws and laws where the recipient resides. Offer may not be assigned, exchanged, sold, transferred, or combined with any other discount or offer, or redeemed for cash or other goods and services. Offer is valid until December 31, 2013, and can be changed without notice. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.

Renewal
    After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering.

:D

Sam
  • rdallandrdalland Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    Renewal
    After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering.

:D

Sam

Looks like they need to get their shit together...
    edited September 22, 2013
    First I read Adobe CC would cost $50.00 per month for all the programs.

I heard lots of complaints. Then I see Adobe CC for photographers is available for the reduced price of $29.95.

That didn't seem to go over real well so now we have $10.00.

Ya see a trend here? What would the price be without any blow back?

Sam

The Full Monte CC is NOT available for $10.00 per month. This new program only includes PS and LR. Plus, the $10.00 deal is only available to people who already OWN CS3 or later. It's a very much trimmed down CC. Don't compare CC at $50.00 to CC for Photographers for $10.00. Apples to oranges.
    John :
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013

I don't understand why you would need to "export" anything. The program is on
    your computer and usable as long as you pay the bill. The files you create are also
    on your computer. If you pull the plug on the rental, the files are still on your computer.

If the file is a file with adjustment layers, you can still work with the adjustment layer
    if the adjustment layer is a style that you have with the Adobe version you owned
    before renting the cloud version. In other words, a Curves adjustment layer can
    be adjusted after you terminate the rental, but a (new feature) adjustment layer
    cannot be adjusted after you terminate. The layer remains with you, though.

The $9.95 rental deal is only available to people that already own legit copies of
    CS3 or above. If you rent and later drop out, you still have your copy of CS3
    or above on your computer.

If you don't own CS3 or above, you can still rent the cloud version, but it costs
    more.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/