Options

President's Cup

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited October 7, 2013 in Sports
So I got my first professional sports opportunity at the President's Cup this week and wondered if anyone had some great tips for golf shots. I got some shots at the Memorial Tournament during the practice rounds which a magazine liked and asked me cover the President's Cup. Any hints about working inside the Media Center?

M
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    I went through your shots. I am an avid golfer and I have shot a couple of tourneys. The "swing" shots imo are actually the most boring shots. If you are going to do swing shots then make sure you leave enough room in your buffer to catch the "pose" at the end. That's where you will see there eyes and emotion and body language. Catch guys as they are walking or waiting or when/if they make a big putt or lining up a putt. Its hard at a tournament but always strive for a clean backgound immediately behind the player. Try some angles right behind the golfer so you can "see" what he is seeing when teeing off for example. Get detail shots..signage, clubhouse, flowers, teebox markers, pins, etc. Get a few shots at the driving range as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    I went through your shots. I am an avid golfer and I have shot a couple of tourneys. The "swing" shots imo are actually the most boring shots. If you are going to do swing shots then make sure you leave enough room in your buffer to catch the "pose" at the end. That's where you will see there eyes and emotion and body language. Catch guys as they are walking or waiting or when/if they make a big putt or lining up a putt. Its hard at a tournament but always strive for a clean backgound immediately behind the player. Try some angles right behind the golfer so you can "see" what he is seeing when teeing off for example. Get detail shots..signage, clubhouse, flowers, teebox markers, pins, etc. Get a few shots at the driving range as well.

Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. I;m still processing the final day, but have uploaded the first few days of the tournament here: http://www.emmett-photography.com/Sports/Presidents-Cup-2013

I enjoyed the whole media experience for the PGA Tour Event, but realized that you end up spending a lot of the time trying to ensure you capture all the players and trying to second guess where to get the best shots of the right players. It was a huge learning experience for me and one I hope to repeat for more events in the future.

Cheers/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course