Options

Sort new galleries first

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited October 7, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'm still previewing my site conversion.

The Folders thumbnails seem to be using the oldest contained gallery for their thumbnail.
I'd like all Folders to always use the most recent Gallery as their thumbnail. I'd like all folders to always sort the most recent gallery to the top, automatically, for that matter.

Can anyone elaborate on these questions? Folder thumbnails and default gallery sorting within all folders...

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 6, 2013
    You should be able to set the sort order in the Organizer. The sort specification is in the upper right section of the page.

See the sorting section of this help page - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210667-organize.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2013
    Love the Organizer!

I'm still not seeing a way to make the Folder use the thumbnail from the first gallery it contains. I've sorted the Folder by Date Modified, 9-1, so the first gallery is the most recent. All the galleries are password protected, but I do have a featured image for each. Any suggestions on what else to try or read up on?
  • Options
    tobemetobeme Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2013
    Can we select a photo we want to display for the thumbnail of both folders and galleries? Right now it is randomly selected and the one selected isn't the ideal photo.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    In organizer sort any way you'd like. But on the folder page for the box click the wrench and look at
    the display tab. Make sure "Organizer Position" is set for "Sort By".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 7, 2013
    Nimai wrote: »
    Love the Organizer!

I'm still not seeing a way to make the Folder use the thumbnail from the first gallery it contains. I've sorted the Folder by Date Modified, 9-1, so the first gallery is the most recent. All the galleries are password protected, but I do have a featured image for each. Any suggestions on what else to try or read up on?
    I've set a featured photo for each folder. It doesn't appear to pick up the featured photo from the galleries for use in the folder (or I've missed how to get that to work).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    When I try to select a featured photo for a Folder, I'm presented with a dialog showing all of my galleries, but since they're all password protected, none of them have an image I can use as Featured!
    I want a more dynamic setting than this - for me, using the Featured photo from the latest contained Public gallery would be what I want.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Nimai wrote: »
    When I try to select a featured photo for a Folder, I'm presented with a dialog showing all of my galleries, but since they're all password protected, none of them have an image I can use as Featured!
    I want a more dynamic setting than this - for me, using the Featured photo from the latest contained Public gallery would be what I want.
    When picking a "feature photo" you can browse to anywhere on your site. For the featured photo to
    work "External Embedding" has to be on in its gallery.

BTW, I have not found where a featured photo for a folder is set?
    Edit: found it, organize > settings
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    I realize I just had a different preconception about how Feature Image works. I get it now that I can actually drill down into any gallery and pick a featured image for a Folder. While I'd still like a way to set this to be the image from the latest Gallery, it's not too much trouble to go set the Folder's featured image when I add a new gallery.

Thanks all!
  • Options
    tobemetobeme Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    In organizer sort any way you'd like. But on the folder page for the box click the wrench and look at
    the display tab. Make sure "Organizer Position" is set for "Sort By".

Yes, I have "organizer Position" for my folders. Does that mean the first (or last) photo will be used for the thumbnail? It doesn't seem to be the case.

I also found something quite strange. All my galleries are set to "position". When I sort manually in Organizer, after hitting done, the photo got back to the original position as if it hadn't been moved the first place.