Options

Fallow Buck

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited October 7, 2013 in Wildlife
I considered myself quite lucky to get these two shots of a Fallow buck as they are difficult to get near.
C&C always appreciated.
Cheers
Bob
RF1A0203%20Fallow%20Deer-X3.jpg
RF1A0180%20Fallow%20Deer-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    I considered myself quite lucky to get these two shots of a Fallow buck as they are difficult to get near.
    C&C always appreciated.
    Cheers
    Bob
    RF1A0203%20Fallow%20Deer-X3.jpg
    RF1A0180%20Fallow%20Deer-X3.jpg

Do you have this breed of deer across the Pond?
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Very good captures BOb, some of the best I've seen from you. The shallow DOF in the first really has your subject popping out.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    Looks like you're getting used to your new gear, Bob.

Main pita feature (imo) is the road / path in both pics ... especially the first, since, as Hb says, you've got some nice separation going and it'd be (much) better without the road.

It makes me wonder about the environment and whether you'd have been able to 'lose' the path/road in the first by ... dare I say ... getting lower :) ... as it seems there's some sort of ridge / drop behind the animal.

If there's a possibility of doing this (or at a different place at the venue) it might be worth considering a 'stakeout and hope' approach ... especially if this venue is one you visit on a regular basis?

There'll never be a guarantee that subjects will place themselves between you and the background that YOU want ... but it might be worth a try?

I'd be looking for locations / angles where there's no obvious 'hand of man' elements ... as I already have to at my own local venue :)

pp
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited October 5, 2013
    Bob -

I really like the first shot you posted.

and... I think you just identified a previously unknown-to-me animal in some photos I took on a trip to the Lakes District back in 2008. Is this the same animal?

Thanks for checking!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2013
    Harryb wrote: »
    Very good captures BOb, some of the best I've seen from you. The shallow DOF in the first really has your subject popping out.
    Thanks Harry I keep trying the best I can.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2013
    Looks like you're getting used to your new gear, Bob.

Main pita feature (imo) is the road / path in both pics ... especially the first, since, as Hb says, you've got some nice separation going and it'd be (much) better without the road.

It makes me wonder about the environment and whether you'd have been able to 'lose' the path/road in the first by ... dare I say ... getting lower :) ... as it seems there's some sort of ridge / drop behind the animal.

If there's a possibility of doing this (or at a different place at the venue) it might be worth considering a 'stakeout and hope' approach ... especially if this venue is one you visit on a regular basis?

There'll never be a guarantee that subjects will place themselves between you and the background that YOU want ... but it might be worth a try?

I'd be looking for locations / angles where there's no obvious 'hand of man' elements ... as I already have to at my own local venue :)

pp
    Thanks PP of course you are right the road really spoils the composition. Yes I am enjoying the combination of the 5D3 with the 100-400L. I just use the 5D2 for landscapes. I find it difficult to get up and down but I have just bought a mat to lay on and I posted some squirrels having taken them at eye level. If you have the time I would appreciate if you would look at them and tell me what you think.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2013
    Bob -

I really like the first shot you posted.

and... I think you just identified a previously unknown-to-me animal in some photos I took on a trip to the Lakes District back in 2008. Is this the same animal?

Thanks for checking!

--- Denise

Yes Denise there are Fallow deer in the Lake District and that is what you have photographed. The male is called a buck and the female is called a doe.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    ... I find it difficult to get up and down but I have just bought a mat to lay on and I posted some squirrels having taken them at eye level. If you have the time I would appreciate if you would look at them and tell me what you think.
    Cheers
    Bob

Well, Bob - don't take any notice of me rattling on about 'getting low' then - I have no wish to be a star witness @ a coroner's court ...

Might be an idea to look for (if not already doing so) situations where the ground / environment itself can help ie subjects on natural ridges / logs etc where the immediate land behind falls away, rather than rises?

Don't know what sort of mat you've bought, but I use half a roll mat ... as used under sleeping bags. Decent thermal and damp insulation and they're generally between a fiver and a tenner ... and last a fair while unless used on sharp gravel etc. I'm kneeling (rather than lying) on it, which is why I cut it in half, btw.

Had a quick look at the squirrels.
    Stuff I noticed
    Mottled, distracting backgrounds - caused by leaves.
    Branches that can't be cropped out and are in the way.
    Still seem too high - was the cam on the ground, or you lying on the ground, with elbows on same, cam in hands, or something else?
    Thought some shots would've been better with more space in front of the subject.

All imo, of course, but hth?

pp
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited October 5, 2013
    Yes Denise there are Fallow deer in the Lake District and that is what you have photographed. The male is called a buck and the female is called a doe.
    thanks Bob!

--- Denise
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Nice job, Bob. For some reason, the hardest to capture wildlife always like to pose with a road in the background! Happens to me all the time. Nice photos, still! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    Nice job, Bob. For some reason, the hardest to capture wildlife always like to pose with a road in the background! Happens to me all the time. Nice photos, still! Best, Pam
    Thanks for looking and replying Pam.
    Bob