Roller bags

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 8, 2013 in Accessories
Yes, tons of old discussion about these and I realise that Thinktank and Lowepro are the benchmarks, but any newer and other info to add? In a perfect world I'd like

- no more than 22" on the long side
- flashes to go in vertically (rather than lying on their sides)
- be able to carry 2x bodies with 24-70 and 70-200 attached (plus 3-5 primes, 2-3 flashes, 2-3 triggers, batteries and odds and sods).
- prefer the bag itself not to already weigh a ton

The Lowepro x200 is nice, but spec says it's 24". We have enough international travel in our futures that I'd rather stick within current carry-on guidelines. Tenba Roadie looks like another interesting model. Sadly, there's nowhere around here that sells them for me to see them in person...

Any other brands/models to check out? Features you like/detest? Things which break too easily?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2013
    Diva: I gave up, and am much happier.

I have purchased so many bags, and when I need them, they often don't quite fit what I need. I often take camera gear when I travel on business, so what I can take will vary with the amount of luggage I have, etc. Having a camera only rollabord might work with vacation, but often I need to carry a change of clothes, book, etc along with camera stuff. And I got tired of the big honkin backpack.

So here is what I did, and maybe its an option for you:

I purchased a number of bag inserts, from single lens pouches to larger soluions (see B&H search) Specifically I got a BBP from Amazon, and a Mountainsmith.

So, when I want to take all the camera gear, I can load up my Timbuk2 Copilot with these pounches and inserts and take anything and everything. Its all well protected, but not super easy to access during a shoot. The Timbuk2 Copilot is great, because you can access pockets from outside, and there are dividers that help a ton to organize (vs a big open bag). Usually, there is clothes and whatnot in part of the bag, camera gear in other parts. I have the 22", and my tripod fits well (folds to 19"). They make a 20", but not sure about tripod fitting in that. When I get on location, often I take what I need (not everything) in a Clik Elite small backpack.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2013
    What I've done in the past was put existing smaller bags into a rolling suitcase, so I thought about getting one of the Calumet inserts to use instead. That said, the roller I've been using is probably heading for "last legs", and the other one we actually use as a carry on, so I think at this point I want another bag, and one with the added features a purpose-designed case will give me. I'm doing as many of my headshot shoots on location as I can, and in particular it would be GREAT to have a bag that can handle a small lighting stand and umbrella-mount modifier (which is usually all I need) so I don't have to bring my separate "lighting bag".

The lowepro x200 is not only a bit bigger than I want - it will definitely exceed international carry-on unless you get very lucky - but is also out of stock everywhere, it seems (including the manufacturer's site!). I do like the thread in the tripod handle (cool idea) and the built-in combo lock, but I am definitely iffy about the size, even with the removable internal pack. The x100 might be an option, but it's hard to tell from the photos if it would be big enough - the dimensions are good, but I just can't work out whether it will hold my kit or not. I really wish we had somewhere around her that I could look at them!

I know everybody raves about Thinktank, but the Airport v2 is bigger on the outside. It's also somewhat more expensive, and doesn't have a tripod solution (unless I've missed it - correct me if I'm wrong).

So..... currently leaning towards the Tenba Universal Roadie II If anybody has or has used it - or even just seen it in person! - I'd love to hear about it! I'm not quite ready to buy yet, so am still open to other suggestions as well thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    Both Lowepro and Thinktank have a myriad of rolling cases designed specifically to meet international airline regulations. (In fact, Thinktank even has a model called the Airport International.) It seems you've decided to exclude them based on the specs of their larger cases which don't meet your needs. headscratch.gif
  • NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    divamum wrote: »
    So..... currently leaning towards the Tenba Universal Roadie II If anybody has or has used it - or even just seen it in person! - I'd love to hear about it! I'm not quite ready to buy yet, so am still open to other suggestions as well thumb.gif

Hey Diva,

After tiring of lugging backpacks, etc., I finally bought this roller bag before this year's wedding season. My back thanks me and because I wear suits when I shoot weddings the Roadie II made all the difference for me being able to dress as I like. The roller handle is sturdy and the wheels are inline skate style, so they roll very smooth. All told, it's well constructed with three nicely reinforced handles on the side for when you need to carry up steps, into an overhead bin, etc. Lots of pockets on the flap lid which unzips and opens on the long side to reveal the interior. The interior is lightly colored and the Velcro dividers can be moved around quite well. Plenty deep for a gripped body or to carry flashes upright as opposed to laying them flat.

I literally carry 2 full shooting kits for both my wife and me and virtually every lens we would ever use on a wedding day -- 3 bodies (2 gripped) and 8 lenses --- 70-200 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 16-35 f/2.8, 24L, 50L, 85L, 100L macro and 2 EFS lenses, 17-55 f/2.8 and 10-22 for my wife's 7D. The flap has plenty of space for lens wipes, filters, gels, extra bats, cards, etc. A couple of outside pockets are handy for flash mods that fold flat (flashbenders, etc.) Designed to hold a laptop but I don't use it for that. Bag also has a little cable that you can lock to a pole or something at a venue. Flimsy but it may slow a thief down. Comes with an external tripod mount, but I've never used so I can't offer comments but you may be able to use it to carry a small light stand.

My flashes do go into my separate light bag with a couple of lightstands for OFC. Lose some of those lenses and it would swallow up several flashes, no problem.
    edited September 29, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Both Lowepro and Thinktank have a myriad of rolling cases designed specifically to meet international airline regulations. (In fact, Thinktank even has a model called the Airport International.) It seems you've decided to exclude them based on the specs of their larger cases which don't meet your needs. headscratch.gif

Actually, I'm mostly excluding TT because they're closer to $400 rather than $300. If I'm willing to downsize to the Lowepro x100, I can even go as low as $260 (it's on special right now). While I appreciate that I have expensive gear to protect (and an irreplaceable spine lol), I do have limited funds, so if I can keep this purchase more affordable, I will be much happier :)

Nago, that is just the kind of info I was hoping to get from a user. That's the Universal, not the Large? If so, sounds like it's a very serious contender (especially if I can find a sale or coupon to bring the price down a little). I really do like the way you can lift the Lowepro out of the outer case and the tripod-thread handle, but I'm sure I can live without those; I prefer the way the Tenba carries tripods (no parts to lose - they're all attached), and the pocket arrangement is rather like my existing bag and how I tend to separate things anyway.

I just wish I could find somewhere local that has them so I can SEE the various models - real pain that I have to do this online only. I can of course return, but bulky items like this aren't very cost effective to mail...

Thanks - anybody else, feel free to chime in! thumb.gif
  • NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    That's the Universal, not the Large?

It is the "Large"

My apologies for any confusion! Specs on the Tenba site indicate it's 2" longer than the Universal and 1/2" deeper.
    Here's a Lowepro which also fits all of your criteria including your price point. http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-LP36399-PAM-Roller-Backpack-Black/dp/B005UKMQH0

Sounds like you've already decided on the Tenba, I'm just demonstrating that there are other options in the "benchmark" group you may not have seen.
    Yeah, I keep going back to compare the TT Airport International as well - it seems to be a bit of a Tardis and is able to hold more than its outer measurements suggest........ :D

Have read mixed reviews on the "lite" model of the Lowepro - the link you pulled up is mostly positive, but seems a lot of folks feel it's kinda flimsy. Which takes me back to.... wish I could SEE them to judge for myself!

I keep comparing models from all three brands - it's good that there's no "bad" choice here, but it is taking up way too much mental real estate - dropping that kind of cash on something which isn't strictly speaking in the image chain hurts. Although not as much as my aching shoulders.... rolleyes1.gif
    I applaud your diligence. I can tell I'm very happy with my TT Airport Security II. I've even flown with it internationally, pre-checking airline size restrictions of course. Interestingly, after reading this thread I realized it has a tripod/light-stand holder I never really noticed before. :giggle
    I got sick to death of trying to remember dimensions and compare, so I made myself a chart, copied here in case it ever helps somebody else.

i-jNRcjpZ-L.jpg

And while I still can't find any of these bags locally, I DID see a Crumpler Gourmet Extravaganza which, frankly, looked HUGE (spec calls it 21x17x11) - I can say with some certainty the Crumpler would hold my kit and then some. It's not one on my list (confirmed by seeing it) - too expensive and I didn't like the rigid internal dividers - but at least it gave me a better basis for comparison than an empty suitcase :D

ETA: Why is it this hard to choose a flippin' bag! (Answer: $$$$$$ I'm sure if I was only spending $50 I wouldn't care nearly as much!)
  • perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    Guys ask women this question all the time...

For me it's simple. I get whatever Thinktank bag fits my needs.
    ETA: Why is it this hard to choose a flippin' bag! (Answer: $$$$$$ I'm sure if I was only spending $50 I wouldn't care nearly as much!)
    edited September 30, 2013
    Guys ask women this question all the time...

rolleyes1.gif
    edited September 30, 2013
    Ok, another thing to add (I'm mainly posting this saga in detail in case anybody else is ever searching - I've had so much trouble getting the info I want, I reckon multiple people may as well benefit from it!)

I noticed in a thread on POTN that one of Tenba's management team had chimed in on another product; helpfully listed his email address, so I took the liberty of writing to him last night, and had a reply this morning. BIG PROPS for customer service - I'm impressed.

======

Dear Mr Waisnor -

Saw your email posted at POTN while researching this product, and am taking the liberty of sending you a note.

I am trying to find out if the wheeled Roadie II Universal (not hybrid) will be big enough to carry:

7d & 5dii (ungripped)
    70-200 2.8is
    24-70is
    85mm
    135mm
    2 50mm
    2-3 flashes
    3-4 triggers
    Bits and pieces

In a perfect world, I'd love to carry the 24-70 and 70-200 attached, although that may be hoping for too much.

I have been googling for days, but not seen many pictures other than the official product image on your website, which doesn't really give me enough information. Sadly, there are no local retailers who carry it so I can look at it in person. I'd simply move to the larger model, but I likely have international travel in my future, thus the endless research to try and figure out what to get!

==========

His reply:

Thanks for your email. Everything you listed here should fit, you will just have to pack it tightly. You couldn't easily have the 70-200 and 24-70 attached at the same time, but one or the other would work. And we always recommend the Universal whenever possible just because it's nice to have the option for international carry-on without having to buy a second case.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
    edited October 1, 2013
    Annnndd....

as luck would have it, I wound up making a last-minute trip to NY for other reasons, so took myself to B&H to look at the bags in person.

(aside: first trip to B&H "in the flesh" is QUITE an experience.... not sure how I feel about it - it's cool.to have THAT much stuff available on site, but it's pretty overwhelming, too. Also, have to say they kinda screwed up in that they had the wrong pricetag on what I wanted, but wouldn't honour the "wrong" price, so they lost the sale - I'll order it online from Adorama since my cc gives me airline miles for them pol.... But I digress)

The Lowepro roller UNBELIEVABLY heavy - I tried to pick up the x200 and thought they had stuff in it, but no - it just weighs a ton. So glad to have found that out; spec is great, but the extra weight would've made me miserable.

Thinktank bags are every bit as fab as I expected; if they were just that tickle cheaper, I'd be sold. That said, I think I prefer the pocket layout on the Tenba.

The Tenba Roadie is exactly what I had hoped it would be, only better. It's light, well-balanced, nice tall, solid handle, and the midsize Universal will hold a ton - it's deep enough that flashes and many lenses will go in vertically (or double stack) without a problem, which will open up a lot of space with my kit.

I'm.disappointed B&H wouldn't honor the mistaken labelling (even with local tax, it would.still.have saved me $30, AND I would have had it right away), but really glad I got to see the bags in person even.if.I still have to order and have it shipped. :) At least I know I've made the right choice!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2013
    wow that Hybrid Tenba looks really nice. I might have to unload my old Lowepro backpack for that one....hmmmm bag envy....
    edited October 1, 2013
    cmason wrote: »
    wow that Hybrid Tenba looks really nice. I might have to unload my old Lowepro backpack for that one....hmmmm bag envy....

That's the only one of the Roadies they didn't have as a floor model, but it's identical to the Universal except that it has straps in the back pocket instead of general storage.

I can't stress enough how pleased I was that it felt and handled as good as it looks - really happy I could look at them. I was still strongly considering the Lowepro, but "hands on" demonstrated beyond a doubt that it is NOT the bag for me. Going to place my order now :)
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2013
    first trip to B&H "in the flesh" is QUITE an experience.... not sure how I feel about it - it's cool.to have THAT much stuff available on site, but it's pretty overwhelming, too.
    I've been to B&H in person a number of times, and it's always overwhelming - but in a good way!

Thanks for all the details on your search, Divamum. I've outgrown my latest bag and have been thinking about a larger roller bag for a bit myself. Since I'm not in NY these days, I've been trying to find somewhere to check them out in person as well, and the information you passed along really helps. Since I doubt I'll be doing any international travel in the foreseeable future, I'm leaning toward the Tenba Large, as I'm really just looking for one bag to carry all my stuff, mostly in the trunk of the car.

Thanks again!
    edited October 2, 2013
    Oh good - glad my blethering was helpful! thumb.gif

The large would be ideal in the car. I admit, I considered up-sizing, but I think I'd just feel compelled to fill it rolleyes1.gif Nago's list of what he has in it above is probably on the conservative side for its capacity.

One thing to be aware of (in case it's something that will bother you): the housing for the wheels/handle means there is a raised area on INSIDE of the back of the bag; this means that portion isn't as deep as the rest of the inside. It won't bother me - I'm pretty sure the ungripped 5dII with a 70-200 will sit nicely right on top of it - but some people have mentioned it as a negative in their reviews.

Actually, here are two more things for you to look at, Moose (and I have NO idea why it took so much googling to find them - for whatever reason, search engine juju isn't pulling up the name of this thing and attaching it to these reviews; I found them pretty much by accident). They're videos, which give a much better sense of scale IMO.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0013077/article/Tenba-Roadie-II-AdoramaTV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODv1jPhofg

Oh, also: one thing which goes as a tick in the TT column, but not Tenba's, in case that's the kind of thing that worries you: it's only a 5-yr as opposed to TT's lifetime warranty.
    edited October 2, 2013
    YES!!! wings.gif Contacted Henry P at B&H with my story, who checked, found that the item was indeed mismarked, and is giving it to me at the labelled price. So, in the end, I'm not only getting an awesome bag, but getting it for an awesome price. Took a while to get to this point (and it now has to be shipped since I'm no longer in the city), but YAY!

There is a reason I shop at B&H and Adorama for camera gear, and THIS kind of customer responsiveness is why they get my business!
    edited October 2, 2013
    Thanks for the links to the videos, Divamum - and I loved the guy's dog poking his nose into the shot! And I'm so glad to hear Henry took care of you - I was disappointed to hear about your in-store experience, because that's not the way B&H normally treats their customers, so it's good to see they responded and did the right thing. As you said, there's a reason I shop at B&H for my gear - in fact I just placed my order for the Tenba Large. Thanks again!
    edited October 4, 2013
    Woot Woot Woot! Arrived today, and I can't believe I'm this thrilled by a *bag*. I've usually gone super-budget or mcgyver for things that aren't in the image chain so this is a real splurge for me, but it is soooooo nice to have a really quality, purpose-designed item. Couldn't be happier with it. Had to be a little creative with arranging the compartments, but I knew that would be the case; if I were to store flashes and triggers without their cases/pouches it would actually be an easy fit (and that's the route I will go if I find I do want a little more room, or need to add an extra item).

Btw, I have NO IDEA why people grumbled about the "indented" area inside: yes, it exists from the handle protrusion BUT they include two thick pieces of precision cut foam padding to fill in the space should you choose. Where's the beef? I kept one in (to even out the "bump" for lens storage) and removed the one on the other side so my flashes slide right in vertically. Perfect.

Anyway, Moose (and whoever else reads this overinflated saga :giggle) there we have it. Two thumbs up for the Tenba Roadie (sweetened for me by the unexpected hefty discount!).

PS Ha! I hadn't noticed the dog until you mentioned it iloveyou.gif
    edited October 4, 2013
    Thanks for the update, Divamum! Glad you are so happy with the bag. Mine should be here on Monday, and I'm really looking forward to it!
    edited October 8, 2013
    I got my Tenba bag last night - it's everything you said it was Diva! I put most of my stuff in it, but I'm sure I'll rearrange things half a dozen times before I'm through. The good thing is there is lots of room, and plenty of dividers to move around.
    edited October 8, 2013
    Yay! Glad you like. I'm super-happy with mine :)