Options

Is it bugs or is it me?

CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited October 9, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
After a day of frustration and feeling stupid, I've come to see if the issues I'm having is me or the template is buggy. Perhaps it's just cuz I'm in preview mode, haven't unveiled. I chose Isis, though perhaps that wasn't wise....

My home page is perfect, also fine are my html/css custom footer, contact page and still working on the About me, but some how it took out the legacy html. Thought working in the preview wouldn't effect legacy.... Anyway, I have 2 other navbar titles that are giving me the issues; Galleries (browse) and Events. I'm not doing anything fancy, just simply want them to work to unveil before leaving town on a shoot.

On the Galleries navbar link, want specific new galleries I have created to show as thumbnails to click on. Should be pretty simple, yet I cannot get it to work and save. I've created that page numerous times how I wanted it, only to have a blank page after saving.

When I tried to create Events link page it also changed the Galleries link page to the same thing! On Galleries and Events I'm using the galleries drag/drop. Reckon that's a no-no.... I then customized Events for "just on this page" and again it also changed the Galleries. :scratch

I have their perspective links different, so cannot understand what is wrong. I've spent a couple of hours perusing the forum to no avail. At the moment I've taken out the link for Events and have 2 galleries staying up. Yay, but for how long? Still have the Legacy site up and not sure how to link the preview site to look at. My apologies.

I would very much appreciate any help given. Thanks in advance!
www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    The templates basically just change the content blocks that are placed on the page to begin with, plus some CSS to change the style of the page. There won't be any problems like the ones you suggest caused by the layout you've chosen.

How are you saving, exactly? If you're using the "preview" button, try not using it, it doesn't work very well.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    Thanks for the reply Lamah!

Hmm... Perhaps after the unveil it will straighten out. But in the mean time it's damn annoying. I've spent way too many hours on a minimal site with the supposedly easier to use New Smugmug. After the first couple of times pushing Preview, I stopped using it. I mean what good is a preview button if it takes you always to the Home page instead of the one you're working on. So now I click on Done, then Publish Now.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    Charly wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Lamah!

Hmm... Perhaps after the unveil it will straighten out. But in the mean time it's damn annoying. I've spent way too many hours on a minimal site with the supposedly easier to use New Smugmug. After the first couple of times pushing Preview, I stopped using it. I mean what good is a preview button if it takes you always to the Home page instead of the one you're working on. So now I click on Done, then Publish Now.

Yea, that's a bug they need to fix. Since you haven't unveiled yet you can use the "Publish" buttons. It keeps you on the page you're at. Publishing is NOT unveiling so you don't have to worry that you're making it public. Using publish will make your life simpler :)
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    Yea, that's a bug they need to fix. Since you haven't unveiled yet you can use the "Publish" buttons. It keeps you on the page you're at. Publishing is NOT unveiling so you don't have to worry that you're making it public. Using publish will make your life simpler :)

When I am in custom mode, I have only 3 buttons (upper right corner): Settings, Preview, Done. Curious I have to click done then click on a Publish now button.... Which means I cannot work on the site all I want, but instead need to keep navigating back and forth. Is this normal?
  • Options
    miseryshusbandmiseryshusband Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    Charly wrote: »
    When I am in custom mode, I have only 3 buttons (upper right corner): Settings, Preview, Done. Curious I have to click done then click on a Publish now button.... Which means I cannot work on the site all I want, but instead need to keep navigating back and forth. Is this normal?

When you click the done button, you get choices or "publish", save for later, and discard changes. Since you haven't unveiled yet, if you "publish", the public won't see your changes.