Options

Chelsea Beach Shoot

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited October 10, 2013 in People
I asked Chelsea what she wanted with the beach shoot,"Cute, hot, or make the guys drool?" Her little sister who came along answered all of the above. Our plan A location was too windy with the North wind blowing over the bay and no obstructions, plan B was closed do to govt shutdown, and plan C access was closed as well. Since Plan C was just a boardwalk to the beach and the actual beach can't be shutdown we walked. It was windy and couldn't really use modifiers on the alienbee even with her sister as an assistant. I needed this practice because I have a beach wedding coming up in the late afternoon so this gave me a good trial run for lighting conditions if it is sunny. I like overcast at the beach but for this shoot it was completely clear.

p2086394397-5.jpg

p1986916759-5.jpg

p1973337856-5.jpg

p2061589430-5.jpg

p2024283875-5.jpg

p2080300446-5.jpg

p1985948996-5.jpg

p1910195023-5.jpg

p1952954856-5.jpg

p1984926431-5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    Very nice set specially for shooting in such bright lighting conditions. 3 6 and 9 really stand out to me
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    Boy, I like oyur idea of a "practice" model Jon. rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, the lighting is spot on and I like everything except # 6. I see what you were doing and like the POV but I think this one distirted her face. Somehow she has a different, less flattering, look in this one.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    Very nice set specially for shooting in such bright lighting conditions. 3 6 and 9 really stand out to me

Thanks!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    That is a nice set, like the variety of looks.
    If I had to nit I would say try not to have the horizon cutting right through her neck...but that is a nit....it isn't that distracting in these.
    Cute young lady.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    Bilsen wrote: »
    Boy, I like oyur idea of a "practice" model Jon. rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, the lighting is spot on and I like everything except # 6. I see what you were doing and like the POV but I think this one distirted her face. Somehow she has a different, less flattering, look in this one.

You always take that chance shooting up and using wide angle. I tell the subjects this isn't a classic beauty shot, but more about angles and POV. Some models really like this type of shot, some just tolerate my attempts.

I can't lie and say I don't have fun on these shoots but they really do help me on paid gigs when the customer wants it done quickly.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    zoomer wrote: »
    That is a nice set, like the variety of looks.
    If I had to nit I would say try not to have the horizon cutting right through her neck...but that is a nit....it isn't that distracting in these.
    Cute young lady.

I struggle with that at the beach and I agree with the nit. I try to get some above and below, but sometimes the most flattering angle isn't one that does that.
  • Options
    rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    Great set. My only crit would be the reflection on her stomach and upper leg in #2. To me it makes her skin look like it's wrinkled or something. The pose is great though.
    Rich
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013
    Overall awesome. 1 is pretty. 2 is wowzers. Those eyes! Anyone who has ever spent enough time at a beach will recognize and enjoy the reflections. 4 is simmering. In 5 the flash is a little too harsh for me, and her chest looks bony. 6 is fun, I like it. In 7 she looks possessed and I think the pose is awkward. 8 would have been great but there is a halo around her boob and unfortunately her bikini bottom isn't fitting right. 9 is very cool, but maybe you can do something about the peeling skin on the back of her shoulder. 10 is great, and I like the lens flare.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Eustace2Eustace2 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    This is a beautiful set. How did you light them? Did you use the Alienbee without the modifier?
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    #9 is awesome!
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2013
    Overall awesome. 1 is pretty. 2 is wowzers. Those eyes! Anyone who has ever spent enough time at a beach will recognize and enjoy the reflections. 4 is simmering. In 5 the flash is a little too harsh for me, and her chest looks bony. 6 is fun, I like it. In 7 she looks possessed and I think the pose is awkward. 8 would have been great but there is a halo around her boob and unfortunately her bikini bottom isn't fitting right. 9 is very cool, but maybe you can do something about the peeling skin on the back of her shoulder. 10 is great, and I like the lens flare.

Thanks for the detailed critique. I agree with most of them. On 8, the halo was my bad. Since I had to deal with high speed synce issues I couldn't blur the background in camera. I just goofed on erasing out that part.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2013
    Eustace2 wrote: »
    This is a beautiful set. How did you light them? Did you use the Alienbee without the modifier?

From 5 on I used the AB800 with the supplied dish. It was just too windy to use anything else. I've thought of getting a beauty dish but even then I would imagine it would catch wind.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    Regardless of whatever nits there are these are fabulous. Love the warmth and lighting.
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2013
    jonh68 wrote: »
    From 5 on I used the AB800 with the supplied dish. It was just too windy to use anything else. I've thought of getting a beauty dish but even then I would imagine it would catch wind.

get some sand bags. I had the same issue and one of my shoot through umbrellas lost its life haha
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2013
    get some sand bags. I had the same issue and one of my shoot through umbrellas lost its life haha

:) I've thought about it but then it's more junk to carry to the beach.