F4 +1 in another Fantastic Journey

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited October 23, 2013 in Journeys
In mid-September a group of five photographers met in Northern Arizona for a week long adventure on Lake Powell and some of the surrounding area. This is their story.....

It had been five years since the Dgrin shootout in Moab UT and the trip that originally created F4. F4 is a silly and simple group name we created for ourselves along with individual photography based nicknames (It may be juvenile but when you are on a week long trip, nicknames help keep the mood light and in turn makes for some humorous events and photos).

For a pre-read check out the thread from our trip back in 2008: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=108766

The cast of characters:

anwmn1 - a.k.a. ISO
http://aaronnewman.smugmug.com/

kdog- a.k.a. F-Stop
http://www.desertilluminations.com/

Nikolai - a.k.a Aperture
http://nik.smugmug.com/

jdryan - a.k.a. Shutter
http://galleries.jdryan3.com/

As mentioned above, it had been five years since our original paring and though we have maintained contact and even shot with one another in our travels, we had not got back together as a group. We agreed that this was absurd and started negotiations in February on a 2013 trip to re-unite. After settling on a Lake Powell Houseboat trip as the main event of the trip we started working out logistics including dates, flight plans, meals, and if we were going to open the trip up to other photographers. We decided that we would open this up to potentially two additional photographers provided we were all in agreement on the individuals. We ended up adding one to the group....

Introducing...

bgarland - a.k.a Focus
http://bgarland.smugmug.com/

The stories and images to follow are each of our impressions and take aways from the this years trip.
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2013
    ISO's story..... (pre-trip)

This trip was a both fun and a headache to put together. Logistics kept changing, details were left vague, and other than our scheduled pickup time of the houseboat everything else was pretty loose and free flowing. This is somehow both calm and stressful.

Friday - I had taken this day off of work and originally planned to start heading North. However, with the rest of the group not really planning to meet until Sunday afternoon or early Monday morning in Page, AZ I decided to modify my plans a bit and work on some non-photography stuff.

On June 30th of this year 19 firefighters from the Granite Mountain Hotshots lost their lives when they were over run by a wildfire. This event took place in an area not far from where I grew up and one of my childhood friends was one of those lost. With the help of many, a local shop in Phoenix AZ has agreed to restore my friends 1957 GMC truck which will be used as a memorial & tribute vehicle in parades and events. I decided to spend much of Friday working on this project and helped with some final disassembly of the truck. After turning wrenches for several hours I headed home to shower and load my car for the photo trip and headed North for the night.

I arrived in Winslow AZ around 10pm after dealing with weekend traffic and driving through an occasional monsoon shower. I stopped in an area called the Little Painted Desert, a fitting name, to shoot a few images of a moonlit terrain and distant thunderstorms before settling into night 1 of 3 of Hotel de Car.

A full moon lights up Little Painted Desert as a distant thunderstorm fires in the background.
    IMG_6390-XL.jpg

Saturday - after a few hours of broken sleep in the passenger seat of my car I awoke and made the 1.5 hour drive into Flagstaff, AZ. Still not really concerned about photography I spent the morning catching up with a high school friend watching one of her son's play in a basketball game. Then I drove a mile down the street to catchup with another high school friend who had a daughter playing in a volleyball tournament. This was shaping up to be a low image capture "Photography Trip"!

After a quick lunch I headed North on Highway 89 and then out to Tuba City to shoot Coal Mine Canyon at sunset. Coal Mine is an interesting canyon as it is quite vast yet invisible from the nearest roadway and with most of it being blocked by private property, it is very limited in viewpoints. Non-the less three other photographers ( 2 local and 1 from Germany) were around the canyon this afternoon.

A rainbow fades as shadows grow in Coal Mine Canyon
    IMG_6518-XL.jpg

I spent a few more hours shooting the desert and storms around Tuba City before starting my drive to Page, AZ. About 20 miles outside of Page I drove upon a fantastic scene. A couple formations rim lit from the moon yet silhouetted against lightning flashes from a passing storm. With my shot composed and my camera ISO & F-stop set, a sudden confusion and then frustration came over me. Somewhere I had disconnected part of my intervolometer cord and it was no-where to be found. I search the car twice, my camera bags three times each, and re-traced my walking path several times, yet the cord was not to be found. I finally determined it was most likely lost the night before in the Painted Desert over 100 miles away.

Frustrated I headed toward Page, fuming even more as I read messages from Shutter and F-stop about lightning they captured in Valley of Fire. I arrived into Page shortly after midnight and went to bed - night 2 of 3 in Hotel de Car.

Sunday - After just a few hours of sleep I awoke and all my frustration was gone (temporarily). I was in Page and while I have shot in Page a lot, I was about to explore an area I had never been in before. I spent several hours hiking, climbing, scrambling, and even had a few hair raising sliding descents while scouting a couple sandstone ridges before I could no longer ignore my stomach and its request for food. While in Page, Fiesta Mexicana is my go to restaurant and a few shredded beef tacos hit the spot. I took shelter in the shade of a building, tore everything out of my car one more time looking for that blasted intervolometer wire and then took a nap waiting for F-Stop, Shutter, and Aperture to arrive into Page.

The guys arrived a couple hours later and we decided a proper way to catchup is over drinks. Back to Fiesta Mexicana for margaritas!!

Aaron Newman

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2013
    I met with F-Stop in Bakersfield, CA:

i-N3csHpv-X2.jpg

From there on we traveled together in his Green Mean Machine:

i-jJtkqSS-X2.jpg

We picked up Shutter in LV, had a nice dinner in "Samurai 21" in Mesquite:

i-Pd4fWJq-X2.jpg

and ended up spending a night in Zion Lodge, grabbing the last room in a 100 mile radius at 1am:

i-xmsz7Hv-X2.jpg

In the morning we did an obligatory walk to Lower Emerald Pools:

i-mF7QxLm-X2.jpg

(time to wonder again, how differently we see things:)

i-89xqgmc-X2.jpg

and then proceeded to Page, AZ with a quick stop in the Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP:

i-5pwDPkP-X2.jpg

In Page we hooked up with ISO:

i-w859mpb-X2.jpg

After a traditional visit to "Fiesta Mexicana"

i-8cH5Tkp-X2.jpg

we went to shoot some nice local rocks ISO discovered earlier:

i-79pLnSf-X2.jpg

With a repeat session next morning:

i-bHS8xDF-X2.jpg

F-stop trying to get me out of his frame, Shutter shooting closeups, ISO chimping:

i-XgwRBf9-X2.jpg

Later the same morning we finally got our boat and our new team member, Focus:

i-zbKHjZt-X2.jpg

Foucs and ISO navigating the narrow confined space of Wawheap Marina in our 48' Navigator:

i-vgCLkJd-X2.jpg

Traveling on the house boat (HB) was nice and relaxing:

i-4Bc45hk-X2.jpg

F-Stop prepping the margaritas:

i-zsrDR2N-X2.jpg

And wth those the travel became even nicer:

i-9ZDtVmR-X2.jpg

Once we got far enough, ISO, Shutter and F-stop deployed the power boat (PB) in search of the
    proper beaching location for HB:

i-kVqm4g5-X2.jpg

leaving me and Focus to handle the HB:

i-xmqv6r3-X2.jpg

In an hour or so the adequate beach was chosen, coordinates communicated to us via CB radio, and
    fairly soon we were meating our mates on the beach:

i-wrkpTqF-X2.jpg

Next morning we took our PB for a ride around the local "fiords":

i-mnDrVsq-X2.jpg

Shutter fearlessly using his iPad (instead of two fine dslr bodies in his pelican case):

i-jLX59Sd-X2.jpg

ISO navigating the narrows:

i-RctRTmd-X2.jpg

F-Stop shooting the debris:

i-WQMMvWV-X2.jpg

Foucs and ISO on the PB:

i-zGgZtgt-X2.jpg

Shutter finally pulling out his Zeiss:

i-wSFSCcp-X2.jpg

Another morning, another morning shoot:

i-wZMTnmZ-X2.jpg

And after sopme quick breakfast it's time to move our HB to a new location:

i-bVhcJhp-X2.jpg

Again, what a lovely way to travel:

i-8gMTwGD-X2.jpg

ISO and Shutter observing the shores:

i-gbVzGm3-X2.jpg

Shutter cannot decide which device to use, as ISO and F-Stop made their - so different - minds:

i-kPTwTtM-X2.jpg

Time to deploy another location recon mission:

i-fJ5x3SX-X2.jpg

After - literally - beating a very fierce competition with a couple of plastic chairs, the beach
    head is secured:

i-66539nP-X2.jpg

After some power nap:

i-jFNzMG9-X2.jpg

we went on a land recon hike:

i-d3TKKHj-X2.jpg

Focusing on Focus through the crack in Split Rock:

i-5CDMkVV-X2.jpg

(here's a more adequate picture of the same two:)

i-zRVgTJK-X2.jpg

F-Stop and Shutter went a different way, but finally they got back, too:

i-VxjFNfW-X2.jpg

After all those hikes, some nice juicy steaks by Master Chef Focus were very much appreciated:

i-tSKD8K2-X2.jpg

Remember how last trip ISO was always making fun of Canon guys shooting close to each other?
    Well guess what: he finally bit the bullet, joined the C-ranks, and naturally:

i-GJXnxgx-X2.jpg

More fiords for Shutter and F-Stop to shoot from the PB:

i-bLvVwsQ-X2.jpg

Shutter is wondering if the location is any good for a night shooting:

i-25R85Zr-X2.jpg

Next day we returned our HB to marina

i-HXpxJ8d-X2.jpg

Picked up Focus's fancy camping gear:

i-4HsjVQ2-X2.jpg

And headed toward Vermilion Cliffs National Monument

i-sSTcfL9-X2.jpg

As before, Shutter's help navigating bad terrain was invaluable:

i-cbJSV9q-X2.jpg

Finally on location - with comfort:

i-z7xBbRF-X2.jpg

Some night shooting - through the entire night:

i-spvtpqT-X2.jpg

Shutter got his cards full, but nothing can stop him from taking one more frame:

i-mFhHLnf-X2.jpg

Focus enjoying the quiet morning:

i-8wgGKHR-X2.jpg

The amazing trailer: now you see it:

i-5wVDdgQ-X2.jpg

And now you don't:

i-XdsDrPd-X2.jpg

Saying goodbye to an awesome location:

i-BDnBp7D-X2.jpg

Airing back up:

i-8j3Z8Nq-X2.jpg

While Shutter poses for in front of the Cliffs:

i-tmFvbGV-X2.jpg

At this point we parted ways with ISO and Focus.
    After some minor shooting on our way back we left Shutter in Las Vegas airport and then me and
    F-stop said our goodbyes in Bakersfield late Sunday evening.

More later...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 6, 2013
    Nik! I mean "Aperture"! Awesome job my man! clap.gifbowdown.gif
    edited October 7, 2013
    ISO - Sunday cont.

After a couple Margaritas we headed over to the location I had scouted earlier in the day.

Shutter getting up close and personal with a giant hoodoo

i-rb3zBt6-L.jpg

While still showing off his fashion sense and advanced tripod techniques
    i-dB2qCzD-XL.jpg

F-Stop being kind and checking to ensure he is not in the frame of my shot
    i-2J6tMLn-L.jpg

And then proceeds to walk in to frame a few minutes later
    i-PKBdq4b-L.jpg

Once the sun had set we determined it was time to get some dinner and hash out a few left over details. Hmm...where to go for dinner?? YEP - Back to Fiesta Mexicana!! Stomach full with the best Mexican food in the area Shutter, Aperture, and F-Stop headed off to find a hotel while I ventured back out to the formations we shot earlier. We decided it would make for a great sunrise location as well.

Monday- predawn came early and we stumbled back out to the formations hoping to get some great morning light.

Shutter waiting for Golden Light
    i-cg4bzpC-XL.jpg

F-Stop shooting for distance, Aperture shooting F-Stop, and Shutte shooting details
    i-V6r6LDj-XL.jpg

Once the sun was up and the light had gone to crap, the guys offered (see requested) that I could use their hotel shower after three days on the road and sleeping in the car. Feeling refreshed we headed off to meet Focus at the grocery store to stock up on necessities like meat and booze before heading off to get the houseboat and powerboat.

As Aperture mentioned, houseboats are a relaxing ride. Mostly due to the fact the behemoth travels at a snails pace.
    i-vbvZ8h2-XL.jpg

Aperture living dangerously by sitting on the rail.
    i-zqnZQLF-XL.jpg

Several hours later we beached the boats at the location that would be our home for the next two nights.
    IMG_6915-L.jpg

We spent much of the week exploring canyons during the day and shooting near-bye formations for sunset and sunrise. We felt very limited in shooting as there is no boat travel permitted on the lake between sunset and sunrise.

Focus was excellent at driving the houseboat but he wasn't too enthusiastic of sticking the power boat in canyons that were barely wider than it. He quickly grew tired of our concept of no canyon left unexplored and always go right.

Aperture playing watchmen while Focus pilots the powerboat and F-Stop looking less than enthused
    i-7MTxBKp-L.jpg

Our powerboat was great in the narrow canyons but when we got out into the open channels it was sometimes underpowered for the choppy swells that grew with each passing boat from the water bouncing off the sandstone cliffs like water in a bathtub.

F-Stop a little more enthusiastic as we rode the swells in a larger channel
    i-v73G8dd-XL.jpg

$25,000 worth of camera gear on the boat and yet.......
    i-SHJv8p4-L.jpg

Shutter shooting the painted sandstone walls in one of many dead end canyons
    i-7vdffrv-XL.jpg

Shutter and Aperture at one of our morning shootouts
    i-26bDw7K-L.jpg

F-Stop likes his big lenses
    i-7bBW94X-L.jpg

Focus and Shutter taking in the scene
    i-S2bbD8B-L.jpg

F-Stop providing scale
    i-WxZSBQ3-L.jpg

While Aperture does his Teddy Roosevelt impression
    i-LXPmgtj-L.jpg

Yes - he is asleep, on a powerboat, in one of the most scenic places on Earth. Some photographers are hard to please.
    i-PnLRR4L-L.jpg

Hard to blame him though. Even after the sun went down we continues to shoot long into the night as we were blessed with a full moon during our week on the lake.

Focus taking in a little water, sandstone, and stars
    i-Pz3NCcJ-L.jpg

F-Stop unaware he is a prop in this shot
    i-9wVcckQ-XL.jpg

When photographers get together sometimes a little craziness occurs too.

i-3LM6Dmh-L.jpg

i-3pmZHGF-L.jpg

In the end it was another great adventure with this group of guys and I look forward to our next destination.

Aaron Newman

edited October 8, 2013
    Nice one, Iso! thumb.gif
    Minor correction: it was F-stop who liked "living dangerously by sitting on the rail.", not me! mwink.gif
    edited October 8, 2013
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Yes - he is asleep, on a powerboat, in one of the most scenic places on Earth. Some photographers are hard to please.
    i-PnLRR4L-L.jpg
    Actually it's more of a commentary on whoever was driving the boat so slow. lol3.gif

Love the fire shots!
    edited October 8, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Actually it's more of a commentary on whoever was driving the boat so slow. lol3.gif

Love the fire shots!

I thought you were posing here to show off your fancy GPS device mwink.gifrofl

And speaking of slow... Iso, are you going to share those GoPro videos you took?
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2013

Love the fire shots!

Awesome hat though. :D

FYI, it was an outstanding trip for me. I'll post my input shortly. I have been consumed with fluffing our house to get in on the market by Nov 1st.
    edited October 8, 2013

Love the fire shots!

More like SMOOTH piloting of the boat. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

edited October 8, 2013
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I thought you were posing here to show off your fancy GPS device mwink.gifrofl

And speaking of slow... Iso, are you going to share those GoPro videos you took?

I still have a lot to go through. Including those videos. :cry

Aaron Newman

• nwoodsnwoods Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 10, 2013
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    I still have a lot to go through. Including those videos. :cry

Looking forward to seeing them! Great story telling so far, and those steel wool on a sling night shots are amazing!
    edited October 11, 2013
    A perspective from +1....Focus

I got into photography primarily through my love of back country camping an my desire to capture and share my experiences. As others have pointed out, once you decide to get serious about your photography you are on very slippery slope. rolleyes1.gif

I typically shoot alone so I have missed out on the growth opportunity of shooting with other highly skilled photogs. When ISO invited me to join this group for the Lake Powell trip I recognized this as an amazing opportunity to shoot with highly talented, well respected photographers. I quickly replied, duh, of course I'll join the gang.

I was not disappointed. From day one it was an awesome experience and every time we went out shooting I learned more and more. One key point I learned is these guys are insanely passionate about shooting. If you want to keep up with them then you better be willing to give up on sleep. The only down time is maybe a few hours in the middle of the day. As F-Stop told me, "welcome to landscape photography". eek7.gif

Making the trip even better was the fact that everyone got along well and each of us brought something to the table.

Getting ready to explore the area around our first beach head:
    Lake%20Powell-28-L.jpg

I was banished to sleep on the roof of the HB. Not a bad deal at this time of year. Once the moon set this was was my view. wings.gif

Lake%20Powell-121-L.jpg

Aperture and I were typically ordered to the bow of the PB to act as bow weights. rolleyes1.gifNot a bad view.

Lake%20Powell-206-L.jpg

With the lake water levels being so low it's important to pay attention to where the rocks are hiding just under the surface. Some folks in the past apparently weren't paying attention.

Prop scaring across the previously submerged rock.
    Lake%20Powell-127-L.jpg

Hello Marina, I think we have a problem.headscratch.gif
    Lake%20Powell-330-L.jpg

Focus found Aperture in a crack.
    Lake%20Powell-304-L.jpg

Nighttime fun
    Lake%20Powell-352-L.jpg

F-Stop and his big guns
    Lake%20Powell-411-L.jpg

Shutter shooting ISO, shooting F-Stop
    Lake%20Powell-421-L.jpg

ISO on pose
    Lake%20Powell-504-L.jpg

Shutter gunning on the move
    Lake%20Powell-685-L.jpg

Aperture went hand fishing on a sand bar when we didn't feed him well enough.
    Lake%20Powell-628-L.jpg

Aperture walking back to the HB dejected and still hungry after a failed fishing attempt. :D
    Lake%20Powell-630-L.jpg

Aperture inspecting all the holes looking for rock genies, sadly on this trip, there were none to be found.
    Lake%20Powell-467-L.jpg

F-Stop, Shutter and ISO....AKA the anchor boys. :D
    photo%281%29-L.jpg

Focus relaxing on the last day's return to the marina after an epic trip.
    photo%282%29-L.jpg

My only regret is after shooting with these guys and seeing their ridiculously amazing results bowdown.gif I now have to spend bookoo bucks migrating my equipment up to full frame and nice optics. My wife is not happy about this.

Thanks for the adventure and the excellent company to shoot with.wings.gif
    edited October 11, 2013
    Nice set, Focus! thumb.gif
    edited October 11, 2013
    Focus, dude, I'm calling your wife. You don't need new camera gear, your shots are awesome! clap.gif
    Great having you along on the trip. Your maritime and camping skills are exemplary. bowdown.gif
    edited October 11, 2013
    Focus, dude, I'm calling your wife. You don't need new camera gear, your shots are awesome! clap.gif
    Great having you along on the trip. Your maritime and camping skills are exemplary. bowdown.gif

Don't call her! I have her convinced that I really need new full frame gear.

Maritime skills? Just point the HB at the guys standing on the beach and accelerate to ramming speed. Easy deal. rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 11, 2013
    A few non-candids from the trip.

Don’t judge the book by its cover:

NYK_8196-XL.jpg

We started taking picture during sunset in the Valley of Fire:

NYK_7654-XL.jpg

And stayed there a tad after:

NIK_7717-XL.jpg

After spending a night in Zion Lodge, we took a short morning hike to Lower Emerald Pools:

NIK_7718-X2.jpg

We made a quick stop at Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park:

NIK_7746-XL.jpg

And basically shot from the road on our way to Page, AZ:

NIK_7757-XL.jpg

In page we spend the sunset time around the place Iso discovered during his alone time:

NIK_7764-XL.jpg

The place offered countless rock formations just a few dozen steps from the car:

NYK_7996-XL.jpg

to which the sunset provided some sweet light:

NIK_7777-X2.jpg

including lovely cloud patterns:

NIK_7769-XL.jpg

We loved the place so much we decided to return to it the very next morning for pre-dawn shooting:

NYK_8008-XL.jpg

We shot sunrise there:

NIK_7803-XL.jpg

Until the light started to “harshen”:

NIK_7809-X2.jpg

We spent most of the day obtaining the boats and riding as far away as we could at 6mph top speed, so we arrived just in time to shoot sunset:

NYK_8047-XL.jpg

I found a little rain pool, which I used for mostof my sunset/night shooting there:

NIK_7844-X2.jpg

Despite being rather small, it provided almost 360 degrees of reflected views:

NIK_7846-XL.jpg

After quick dinner on our 48’ Navigator:

NYK_8053-XL.jpg

we proceeded with some early nigh shooting right next to our house boat:

NIK_7870-XL.jpg

and then me and Focus went to use that rain pool again:

NIK_7876-XL.jpg

Next morning we took our power boat to West Canyon where shot us some sunrise:

NIK_7893-XL.jpg

The mouth of West Canyon during the sunrise:

Lake%20Powell%20Pano%207896_99-X3.jpg

I managed to find me a nice little gorge with a view:

NIK_7900-XL.jpg

During the day we explored some more of the nearby “fiords” and ended up shooting sunset just a few minutes away from our beachhead:

NIK_7883-XL.jpg

Mother Nature awarded us with both crepuscular rays and nice clouds:

NIK_7885-XL.jpg

which later produced some lovely purples:

NYK_8119-XL.jpg

Next day we moved our HB to a new location. We did some hiking (F-Stop and Shutter conquering local Everest), had a lovely dinner and finally shot some steel wool later at night:

NIK_7946-XL.jpg

Next morning we did another morning raid shoot:

NYK_8123-XL.jpg

which gave us a chance to explore those ubiquitous holes up close and personal:

NIK_7974-XL.jpg

After some more exploring we moved our “home away from home” to another beach:

NIK_8048-XL.jpg

where we shot some moon both late in the evening:

NIK_8050-X2.jpg

and early in the morning:

NIK_8054-XL.jpg

This was already Friday, so we had to return our boats. We decided to go to Paria Plateau to shoot us some sunset/night/morning frames. Needless to say we miscalculated our timing a bit, so we met the sunset while still on the road:

NIK_8059-XL.jpg

The full moon did us great on the location, though:

NIK_8101-XL.jpg

Allowing to get those magnificent rock formations with relatively low iso settings:

NIK_8109-XL.jpg

thus producing almost no-noise images:

NIK_8111-XL.jpg

5:30 in morning I felt that I’m about to collapse and had to crawl back to camp to get some sleep. Iso, F-Stop and Shutter stayed. I met them in a couple of hours when I got back to shoot some morning clouds

NYK_8167-XL.jpg

and reflections:

NIK_8151-XL.jpg

Later that day we made a quick dash to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon:

NYK_8190-XL.jpg

and then spent a night in Kanab, after meeting sunset while driving through Kaibab forest:

NYK_8199-XL.jpg

Yet there was no rest for the wicked. We woke up at 4:30 and drove to Bryce Canyon, where we managed to get some decent sunrise shots from Bryce Point:

NYK_8240-XL.jpg

It was a great morning. We got some majestic god rays:

NYK_8250-XL.jpg

with the sun peeping through the clouds and creating magnificent patches of light:

NIK_8824-XL.jpg

and that coveted “Bryce glow”:

NYK_8265-XL.jpg

After saying good-bye to Bryce:

NIK_8837-XL.jpg

we drove towards Las Vegas. On our way we decided to take a quick scenic loop through Cedar Breaks. Where we were hit by the golden aspens:

NYK_8417-XL.jpg

Once we saw that, we realized it’s not going to be “quick”:

NYK_8464-XL.jpg

as we simply could not stop shooting:

NYK_8469-X2.jpg

We all that golden beauty we almost forgot that we came there for the rocks:

NYK_8371-XL.jpg

so we shot some of those, too:

NYK_8381-X2.jpg

To sum things up, the trip was fun and very productive. Like with the original F4 trip, many things went not according to plan or were not planned at all. There were some hitches, too, but those hitches were definitely compensated by having a great company and great photo ops.

You can see more images from this trip here:

http://nik.smugmug.com/share/oPKgt5BXInhxE
    edited October 12, 2013
    Great stuff, Nik. bowdown.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    FANTASTIC job of making us all bright green with envy. clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 13, 2013
    Great trip! Making fire looks like fun too :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2013
    Nikolai wrote: »

i-N3csHpv-X2.jpg

they let him in?
    Aaron Nelson