Never Ending Games Challenge Discussion Thread

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2013
    Wow, very nice - congratulations!

I was too taking photos at that age and earlier, but I don't have anything left.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2013
    My father gave me that camera for my 20th birthday in November 1957. The Woman's Work photo was #1846 - we didn't take millions of photos in those days because it was too expensive. I had three rolls of film taken on this section of the trip and my sister had four rolls. We had about 25 duplicates made. My mother worked out that it was less expensive per photo to use 36 exposure rolls, so that was what I used if I could. (Before 1957, I had a Brownie and not many of those photos have survived.)

At the time of this trip, I had been married for 5 years and had two children. My sister (2.5 years younger) had been married 3 years and had one child. Her husband was stationed in Germany, and my husband was on a Med cruise on one of the big grey boats (aircraft carrier). I took the trip to meet him at the various ports. I left my kids with my mom.

I have been thinking about this trip. My mother wouldn't let me drive from Norfolk (where I lived) to Baltimore (where she lived) without company. But she apparently had no problem letting me go off to Europe for five weeks by myself. I flew to Germany, took the train to Spain, met my sister for a trip to Lisbon. Then we had planned to go to Seville but we couldn't get a train, so we went back to Madrid and my sister flew back to Germany and I went on and met my husband in Valencia. After a week there, we met again in Marseilles, I visited my sister in Nuremberg and then went to Naples to meet Bob again before I flew back to the US.

This is the travelogue of that trip - sections linked together at the bottom.
    http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8b8aa/#TL

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited October 1, 2013
    I see that nobody has any "X" photo to post - I still have a few and I inserted one, to keep the play running.
    However, if somebody else wants to come up with another, I can delete mine... :) is it OK?
    Travelways.com
    edited October 1, 2013
    I don't see why not. X and to a lesser extent Q and Z seem to be difficult and I've taken those letters to add to move things forward. Even if someone else had an X to add, the letter will come around again in another 26 posts :)
    edited October 1, 2013
    Right :)

I still have images from the Xcaret Ecological park in Mexico, Quintanaroo state in Mexico and Quebec.
    I wouldn't like however to give up with my W, Y (not too many), P and R images - I may upload 2 photos at the time if nobody else comes up with something... headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 6, 2013
    Looks like Y and Z were accidentally skipped this round.... So easy to do.
    edited October 6, 2013
    Corrected - sorry.
    Travelways.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 6, 2013
    Nice save, Travelways! Always fun to see what you and others post there.
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    ne_nau.gifOops on the "R" roses - did not refresh my feed fast enough I guess. Sorry! GP
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    Could they be considered "tea roses"? I had to change my R for red shot too! Timing! ;)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    lkbart wrote: »
    Could they be considered "tea roses"? I had to change my R for red shot too! Timing! ;)
    I know right? Indeed, "tea roses" would have been clever...but I think we're past that now. Thanks, GP
  • cactuscactus Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2013
    Hey I'm Paul and I'm new to the forums, this is a great idea and an excellent way to meet some nice new people and see some amazing photos along the way :)

Also an excellent idea to keep the photos and comments separate too.
    edited October 11, 2013
    Wow, the all the photo's in here are fantastic, the bokeh on the ice is incredible and the jellyfish is a stunning shot (as are all the others.) I need to slow down. I'm a little excited, sorry for posting so many.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 11, 2013
    cactus wrote: »
    Hey I'm Paul and I'm new to the forums, this is a great idea and an excellent way to meet some nice new people and see some amazing photos along the way :)

Also an excellent idea to keep the photos and comments separate too.

Welcome to the forum!
    edited October 11, 2013
    cactus wrote: »
    Hey I'm Paul and I'm new to the forums, this is a great idea and an excellent way to meet some nice new people and see some amazing photos along the way :).

Welcome, Paul! Hope you enjoy the Dgrin community!
    edited October 15, 2013
    Thanks for the welcomes, Dgrin is the nicest and most helpful photographic community I've ever come across. It's a pleasure to be here. :)
  • JL BoyerJL Boyer Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    Hello everyone. My friends call me JL. I am new in this forum and love the concept. Great idea and superb pictures. Hope the Y for Yellow jacket fits in. Thank you all.
    JL - Every shot is an adventure, every shot has a story. -
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    Welcome cactus & welcome JL! There are so many fantastic shots in the Alphabet thread - yours included!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 19, 2013
    JL Boyer wrote: »
    Hello everyone. My friends call me JL. I am new in this forum and love the concept. Great idea and superb pictures. Hope the Y for Yellow jacket fits in. Thank you all.

Welcome JL!
    edited October 20, 2013
    Thank you for the welcoming posts.
    edited October 20, 2013
    Regarding the Orb Spider: It is a Shamrock Spider (Araneus trifolium). The tiny droplets on the silk are not water from fog or dew. They are the actual sticky fluid that traps the unfortunate insects. This glue-like material is deposited at the same time that the web is builded.
    edited October 20, 2013
    Very nice image and interesting information!

Welcome to you and to Cactus as well!
    Regarding the Orb Spider: It is a Shamrock Spider (Araneus trifolium). The tiny droplets on the silk are not water from fog or dew. They are the actual sticky fluid that traps the unfortunate insects. This glue-like material is deposited at the same time that the web is builded.
    Travelways.com
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    Y for Yellow-rumped warbler (male) - Dendroica coronata -

Yellow-rumped%20warbler%20-%20Dendroica%20coronata%20-%20by%20JL%20%20Boyer%20-%20Downloaded%20from%20500px_jpg-M.jpg

Wrong thread! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited October 20, 2013
    Ha! Yes, sorry. Fixing it.
    edited October 22, 2013
    NAubin, you new, so some allowances, but, X comes after W , then Y.... thumb.gif

and if you reference images already on the web, you Can post more than one image in a post in your other recent Challenge offering! :D

Welcome to Dgrin!

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited October 22, 2013
    The Airplanes picture was taken during the Heritage Flight pass. P51 Mustang - F22 Raptor - F16 Falcon
    Fleet week 2012 in San Francisco, Ca
    edited October 23, 2013
    Oops - two of us posted L (lighthouse and lights) and I deleted mine and then Travelways changed hers. I was going to make mine Mayport Lighthouse for M. So L is out of order. Sorry

Anyway
    3695599-Lighthouse_Mayport.jpg

This is the St. John's River lighthouse in Mayport - it is on the Navy Base. The bottom of this has been buried underground when the land was filled so that the runways would be stable. The 'shadow' of the top of the old house (the roof line) that stood next to the lighthouse was visible in the masonry. In order to access the inside of the tower at present, one has to climb through a window.
    edited October 31, 2013
    How did we hey to M from C?

headscratch.gif

:D

Don

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
    edited October 31, 2013
    Last round we had M-N twice too.
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    Lovely Shot ....

Alan

IMG_4394%20-%20Version%202-L.jpg