Options

Nikon D7100 Format Problem

cameraicamerai Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited October 15, 2013 in Cameras
Hi -- Haven't posted here in awhile. Nikon D7100 Problem.

When I use the format process of simultaneously pressing the trash and format buttons, the format process works well. But when I use the format option on the tool menu, it fails to work at all, and my old pictures remain. What can be the problem? Is there a bug in the software? How do I check for software upgrades; I am taking this camera to Australia and New Zealand in two weeks.

Camerai

Comments

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2013
    Just gotta ask this because a lot of times it's the simplest answer....when you did it with the menus did you double check that you formatted the right card? And was this a one time thing or does it continuously not do it from the menu?
  • Options
    cameraicamerai Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2013
    Just gotta ask this because a lot of times it's the simplest answer....when you did it with the menus did you double check that you formatted the right card? And was this a one time thing or does it continuously not do it from the menu?

I did it with four different cards. Card 1. Nothing worked, though three of those cards were originally formatted for a D-40.

canerai
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    camerai wrote: »
    I did it with four different cards. Card 1. Nothing worked, though three of those cards were originally formatted for a D-40.

canerai

Can you tell me what folders there are when you do that?

Is it 100D40 then 101D7100? I can't test it out exactly since my only other Nikon camera that takes SD cards is a P300 but I can format in there then move to the D7100 and see if I get the same error.
  • Options
    billg71billg71 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2013
    Current firmware is c:1.01, you can get instructions and download it at the Nikon USA Support site. It didn't mention any problem corrected re: card format but it's always good to have the latest firmware. To check it's in the Setup menu> Firmware version

Just to be sure, are you following all the menu choices when formatting, especially the last one where you're asked "All images on memory card will be deleted. OK?" ? Then you have to select Yes and that choice will get a red surround, press OK then. No is the default, if you just hit OK at the confirmation screen the camera will just take you back to the Setup screen. I've been caught out by that a couple of times when in a hurry. Do you get the "Formatting memory card" banner?

HTH,
    Bill