Options

Published changes

Your SpiritYour Spirit Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited October 18, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
After making changes to a page & previewing it I hit publish but when viewing logged out all changes are gone & the page is virtually blank. I'm trying to put folders containing other folders & galleries on a page for viewing & ordering that clients can navigate to from the menu bar. There has been difficulty with when & how to set passwords as well as potential browser issues. I've tried everything & am stumped.....why does it look perfect in preview & then disappear as a logged out viewer? I've been pulling my hair out for days!!!
Thx for any advise/insight

Lisa
Your Spirit Photography

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2013
    After making changes to a page & previewing it I hit publish but when viewing logged out all changes are gone & the page is virtually blank. I'm trying to put folders containing other folders & galleries on a page for viewing & ordering that clients can navigate to from the menu bar. There has been difficulty with when & how to set passwords as well as potential browser issues. I've tried everything & am stumped.....why does it look perfect in preview & then disappear as a logged out viewer? I've been pulling my hair out for days!!!

Lisa
    Your Spirit Photography
    This sounds like your migrated site not legacy. Folks have been having trouble with hitting Preview. I'd
    suggest hitting "Done" and Publishing. You can always go back in and fix any changes.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2013
    Thanks - it worked!! Wonder what the problem is in preview mode??? I actually thought I tried clicking done & then publish bypassing preview earlier but maybe not. I've tried everything been going crazy for days on this!! Seemed so simple but I am a new user & have been a bit confused. Setting up my new site seemed fairly complicated.....the tutorials are long & don't explain things in detail.
    I will be posting a ton of folders to this same page now that it works.....I might be back for more help!!
    Thanks again!
    Your Spirit Photography
    Lisa
  • Options
    mayo_win_teimayo_win_tei Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2013

Lisa
    Your Spirit Photography

This happened to me too and drove me crazy on the Pages I was trying to create. I lost hours and hours of work when everything would disappear - Grrr!. I emailed SmugMug support but got nothing other than "Due to unprecented request for help . . . blah, blah, blah" and a promise they would answer me in 48 hours. That was about 2 weeks ago and I've received no response. I suspect they are swamped.

Anyway, through trial and error I found a crazy system that works - why I don't know, but it does. Here it is.

After making whatever changes you want on a page in the customization mode, click Done and then click Save For Later. Then navigate back to the page you were working on (in case you got off of that page), click on Customization and then go into one of your Text boxes that should appear with all of the previous changed (but not Published) changes.

Go to the end of a paragraph and add a meaningless space after the period, using your space bar. Click Done on the Text Box, click Done on the menu bar and then click "Publish" on the pop up menu. If you are asked for confirmation to Publish click okay. Your Page with the previous important changes should be there in all its glory. Why does this work - who knows, but it does for me every time.

To test it out, make some simple and fast changes on a Page and go through the above to test it out. If it works yell "Finally!" and go get your site finished :o)

Let us know if this works - I suspect many others have the same issue.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2013
    It's better but now I have galleries not displaying inside a folder within a folder on a page. My 'client galleries' page contains a folder entitled JFCA. When you open that folder several galleries & one other folder display properly but the galleries contained within the secondary folder entitled portraits are not there. It's probably something to do with the way I have it set to display because I don't fully understand the options in the 'select from' drop down tab.....current location, within a folder, folders I choose & top level folders. It's very confusing & I can't find a tutorial that really explains what they all mean & which one is the one I need to access my images. I'm not trying to accomplish anything difficult. I just want clients to be able to click my menu tab 'Client Galleries' which takes them to the page where I have their password protected folder. This folder is subdivided into various galleries & 1 other folder called 'portraits' which is further subdivided into galleries. Seems like it should be simple but I can't get it to display & clients are ready to order their images but I can't get it to work....thanks!
    Lisa