Options

Pumpkin Portraits

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
edited October 19, 2013 in People
I was asked to take fall family/maternity photos this past weekend. Any feedback and/or comments on lighting, posing, etc. are appreciated!

i-dNrBcJc-L.jpg

i-tXgsSTM-L.jpg

i-B5CGxfF-L.jpg

i-mSJXSWp-L.jpg

i-zcWG6T6-L.jpg

i-rjXf8GL-L.jpg

i-ncRqnqk-L.jpg

i-HJHhXvX-L.jpg

i-T7MBF3F-L.jpg

i-t2qjcF5-L.jpg

i-dKgTFsb-L.jpg

i-mmTLbBd-L.jpg

i-Pg2pm5G-L.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    MarkEdwardsMarkEdwards Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 18, 2013
    Really nice series. #6 and specially #10 really brought me a smile.
  • Options
    Your SpiritYour Spirit Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 18, 2013
    image #10 is the cutest thing ever! Gr8 idea.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    Really nice series. #6 and specially #10 really brought me a smile.

+1 clap.gif
  • Options
    Eustace2Eustace2 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    This is a very nice set. I'm guessing the family loved them. Great pun in #6. The pose in #4 is beautiful. In that shot (#4) her hair blends in with the background, I am wondering if there is a way to increase the separation a little.

OK, now for the noob technical questions. Did you use any fill lighting? In #2, did you apply a blur vignette? It doesn't look like it's all DOF. I'd crop #2 a little tighter, but that is a matter of taste.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    There are several winners here. I love 2,4,5,6,7,9,10. Now, IMHO... In 1 I would have posed the parents with dad embracing mom front to back so they are both facing the boy and gazing upon him. Instead we have what looks like a bar scene with dad trying to pick up mom. I can almost hear him saying "how YOU doin'?" They're totally disconnected from the boy so there are two different scenes in that photo. The parents are upstaging the boy. In 3 I imagine she's not going to like her one squinting eye, otherwise it's nice but it doesn't say pregnancy. 8 is pretty good but it's kind of redundant with 4, and 4 is a home run. Really classic. 10 is great, cute idea for a pose. It's a little funny that the boy is going for 2nd base, but it's not a dealbreaker. 11 is very nice but the hands sort of hide the pregnancy. Yeah I see the heart, which is very "in" these days, but people who don't know won't know for sure that she's pregnant. But it's the best shot of him so it's a keeper. 7, meh. 12, bar scene. 13, I'd prefer them looking at each other, happily. Nice job overall, great colors, compositions, and exposures.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    we have what looks like a bar scene with dad trying to pick up mom. I can almost hear him saying "how YOU doin'?"

I laughed out loud...so not what I was going for!
    Thank you all for taking the time to comment on these...nice insight.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain