Options

Change Menu Bar to link to page with folders

JeanFJeanF Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited October 20, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I've tried reading SmugMug help and looking at the SmugMug vidoes, but I can't seem to figure out how to change my Navigation (Menu) bar to link to a page with gallery folders. If you click on one of my Menu links (i.e. Galleries), a flyout appears with a massive list of the gallery names. I want to be able to click on Galleries in the menu bar and go to a new page where all the individual galleries show up in their separate folders. How do I do this?
http://jeanelizabethimages.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 20, 2013
    You defined a drop-down navbar. If you want the viewer to click on Galleries to open the folder containing all of the galleries then remove the drop-down entries - you only need the top Galleries entry.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Sorry...I must be dense, but I have no idea how to implement what you just explained. That has been my issue since converting to the new Smugmug.

Can you give detailed instructions?

Here's what I have done:
    Go to Customize.
    Click on Entire site
    Click on wrench for Menu

NOW what? If I click on Links, I see the drop down choices:
    Page/Choose, URL, ETC.

I have Page / Choose
    Pick one: General (Which is the name of the FOLDER I have created in the Organizer that holds all my Galleries within that category.

Obviously this method is creating the flyouts-- something I don't want.

Can anyone give me the EXACT steps that I use in order for someone to Click on one of the Menu Categories--which will then take them to a page that I would have all my Folders in that category?
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    In that same menu where you have "Link to ... Page I choose"
    You should set the "Include Folder Contents" to OFF
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    That didn't work. I just changed the "Include Folder Contents" to OFF, and when I did a preview...nothing changed. I'm still getting the flyout list of galleries.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Did you set it to OFF for each and every link?
    The menu that I have with a "sub" level is vertical (accordion style). But I did try out what I wrote to you in the previous post: I changed it to horizonal and set the "include contents" to OFF for one of the links - and for that one link it did work.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Still doesn't work. I changed it to OFF for all of my Gallery choices on my Menu (Galleries, Portfolio, Clients) - still have a flyout for all of them.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Also, if I don't click on any specific gallery in the flyout, but just click on Galleries in the menu...I get a blank page with just the Menu at the top.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    In the LINKS tab of your navbar's settings, do you have links only for
    home
    galleries
    portfolio
    etc.

Or do you also have separate links for
    windmill
    sacramento
    garrod ranch
    etc.
    ?

This is what Denise was referring to in her post.

BTW, when I click on "galleries", it opens in a new window.
    If that's what you meant for it to do, then OK. If not, fix it.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    I only have links to Home, Galleries, Portfolio, Clients, Contact

I do not have separate links to the contents (windmill, etc.) within each of those Menu items.

In the ORGANIZE Site Menu, the Galleries are listed under the Folder (Gallery=General, Portrait, Clients) Those are the folder in the "flyout".
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    I reached a dead end here
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    If you go to this page it's blank.
    http://jeanelizabethimages.smugmug.com/General

Add a "galleries" box to the page and set it to "current location".

In your menu put in that above link for custom url.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Before I do that, I need to know what "current location" means. Will it pick up only the gallery that I was looking at last or all my Galleries? Will doing that replace the flyout from the Galleries menu to a link to this page with all my folders?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    JeanF wrote: »
    Before I do that, I need to know what "current location" means. Will it pick up only the gallery that I was looking at last or all my Galleries? Will doing that replace the flyout from the Galleries menu to a link to this page with all my folders?
    The "galleries" box will show all galleries only in the "General" folder when set to "current location".
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Jean,
    Is it possible that you have two separate yet almost identical navbars -
    One on the homepage and one on the gallery pages?

Because, when I'm on you homepage - I get what you are describing but nothing helps.
    BUT
    When I'm on a gallery page, for instance - Sacramento, the navbar "behaves" like I would expect it to given your settings.

I'm not sure - but maybe this is a clue to what's happpening.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    In legacy you could have both galleries and sub-cats in a category. To show both on NewSmug
    you need to add both a gallery box and folder box then all the contents of the category will show.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    I don't know how to do that. Can you give me exact instructions? The problem I'm having is that when I go to the customizer, I cannot go to the specific Galleries page.
    If I choose "Entire Site" I can edit the Menu (as I described in my first post).
    If I choose "Homepage", I can edit the Menu and add photos...as I have already done.
    If I choose "All Folders", I see the menu and under that on the left in large letter is "Portfolio". I don't know why it didn't start with Galleries. In the middle is a folder icon with "No Folders Found"
    If I choose "All Galleries", I see the menu at the top and "no Galleries selected" I scrolled down to "Add content Blocks", clicked on Navigation, then selected "Folders, Galleries, Pages" and dragged it onto my site. I see the top level of all my folders, including "General".
    HOWEVER...when I preview the site...I STILL get the flyout and get a blank page when I click on Galleries.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    einat wrote: »
    Jean,
    Is it possible that you have two separate yet almost identical navbars -
    One on the homepage and one on the gallery pages?

Because, when I'm on you homepage - I get what you are describing but nothing helps.
    BUT
    When I'm on a gallery page, for instance - Sacramento, the navbar "behaves" like I would expect it to given your settings.

I'm not sure - but maybe this is a clue to what's happpening.

I just checked and made sure the Navbar is the same on the homepage/entire site/ galleries.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Can you please tell me that based on how I set up the site navigation (see my initial thread with all the steps)...did I do this correctly, or am I missing some special link/child page/URL...something custom that I'm not doing right??
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    If I understand correctly -
    If you can edit the menu from the "Entire site" AND from "Homepage" - then you do have 2 separate ones.
    I'm not sure which one is the "good" one (though I do suspect the one on the homepage is giving you trouble) and which will override the other.
    If you want the same menu throughout the site, then keep only the one on the entire site, you don't have to set a separate on for the homepage.

I didn't follow on the rest of your questions reg. the "structure" of the site.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Sounds like you have two menus. It should only be editable when "entire site" is highlighted. That is, if
    you want the same one on every page.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    If I understand correctly -
    If you can edit the menu from the "Entire site" AND from "Homepage" - then you do have 2 separate ones.
    I'm not sure which one is the "good" one (though I do suspect the one on the homepage is giving you trouble) and which will override the other.
    If you want the same menu throughout the site, then keep only the one on the entire site, you don't have to set a separate on for the homepage.

I didn't follow on the rest of your questions reg. the "structure" of the site.

I have a Menu on my "Entire Site" (shows in red when I click on it)
    I have the same Menu on my Homepage (shows in blue when I click on it)
    If I delete the menu off my Hompage, NO Menu shows up. I would have thought that if I had a Menu on "Entire site" that it would show up everywhere. But it doesn't. Now what?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Again I'm at a loss. At least until my next idea turns up :bash
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Again I'm at a loss. At least until my next idea turns up :bash

I know the feeling..."I'm at a loss"! Very frustrating.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Sounds like you have two menus. It should only be editable when "entire site" is highlighted. That is, if
    you want the same one on every page.

Allen - that's how I too thought it should work but I just checked and tried with my site, and although the navbar is on "entire site", to my surprise I could edit it from any of "entire site" \ "homepage" \ "all galleries".
    What could only be done from "entire site" was editing the dimensions.

This is strange, that's not how I remembered it from when the last time I looked.

But this doesn't help us in helping Jean.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    JeanF wrote: »
    I know the feeling..."I'm at a loss"! Very frustrating.

This is not the type of advice that I like, but I wonder -
    If you deleted any and all menues that you now have anywhere throughout the site and re-built just one on "Entire site", with all the correct settings, then I guess it should be OK but we'll never know why (at least I won't know).

And it only refers to the navbar itself, not your other questions.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    You're right, it can be edited on any page. But it highlights in red and says "entire site" on it.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    OK I've come to this late and also can't follow all of the threads, but want to ask: You have a navbar. But, I think there's a completely different step you need to take, which is to:
    Customize site/

Then click to enter one of the areas: home page or all folders (I think I did this next step twice, once in each of these locations (home page and folders).

Then, on the right, in the black Content tab, scroll down to:
    Navigation/

And I think you want to drag the block:
    Folders, Galleries and Pages

Onto your site, in the main body. Drag it with the mouse and look for a horizontal or vertical slice of highlight to show you where you can drop the block. There are several places one can drop a block so move the mouse around and all over so you get comfortable knowing where to drop it.

You are not unveiled, right? You are setting up your site privately for now? (That's where I am and so I just want to make sure we're doing the same level of tasks.) If this is what you're doing, then, after you've edited some, like adding blocks, click the Done in the upper right corner, and click "Publish", which will still be private to you, and let you see your site as a visitor would.

I might not have understood the problem so want to hear back what results.