smugmug maintenance ~1am PST July 11th

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited July 17, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Just a heads up that I'm going to take the site down for a short time period around 1am this morning.

For the curious, I'm migrating many of our servers over to some new power strips on new power circuits. They allow us to do complex monitoring and realtime maintenance of each power outlet, which should enable us to respond to server problems and such more quickly in the future.

I'm going to try to make a habit of announcing these things earlier here so that people can get a heads up. We'll see how it goes.

Don

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    Is it just me, or has dgrin been slower since yesterday? I'm starting to get the same delays for new pages that I've become accustomed to on ADVRider. *sigh*
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Is it just me, or has dgrin been slower since yesterday? I'm starting to get the same delays for new pages that I've become accustomed to on ADVRider. *sigh*

Much slower for me too.

Dave
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    dgrin and ADVrider have always shared the same WWW box and same DB box. So they should have been identically slow (or fast) all the time.

Having said that, I closely monitor both of those servers and there doesn't seem to be any performance bottleneck on either one.

For example, right this second both CPUs on the WWW server show 81.3% idle. Both CPUs on the DB server show 78.8% idle.

If there's a speed issue, it's probably vBulletin's issue, and not strictly a server issue. The fact that they felt different in speed seems to back that up... dgrin has been relatively small most of this time, so it's been easy for it to be 'fast'.

I'd take it up with Baldy.
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    dgin and ADVrider have always shared the same WWW box and same DB box. So they should have been identically slow (or fast) all the time.

Having said that, I closely monitor both of those servers and there doesn't seem to be any performance bottleneck on either one.

For example, right this second both CPUs on the WWW server show 81.3% idle. Both CPUs on the DB server show 78.8% idle.

If there's a speed issue, it's probably vBulletin's issue, and not strictly a server issue. I'd take it up with Baldy.

Oh, and if you see both of them AND smugmug slow at the same time, it's probably a network problem between you and us.

Rare, but it happens.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 12, 2004
    I'm having trouble replicating speed issues on dgrin or advrider except for one thing that's driving me crazy: posting to ADVrider can be ssssllllllooowwww. Onethumb and I are looking into that and may take advrider down for awhile to make some tweaks.
    edited July 12, 2004
    In recent weeks I've found ADVRider to be slow to open threads. Not everytime, but when it happens, it's the same length delay as waiting to post a response. And it happens about as often.

Here, the delay is in opening threads. The wait is not nearly as long as the wait at ADVRider. But it's a noticeable and recent change.

All of the above are consistent on two machines, using two different types of connections (T1 at work, cable at home.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited July 17, 2004
    When we're doing live remotes via satellite, it's not uncommon for there to be technical problems. The exchange with the truck often go something like this:

Me: "Uh Dwight, we're getting a lot of audio buzz in the signal. Can you check that out?"
    Truck Op: "Everything's fine on my end, it must be on your end."

That's kinda what this deal feels like. naughty.gif I don't often get a chance to visit here during working hours. But I made a point of it this week. And I can conclusively, and sadly, report that dgrin is noticeably slower now than it used to be. "Used to be" in this case is less than a month ago.

I don't know if others are experiencing the same thing. ne_nau.gif All I can say is that using two different routes to the internet (as iterated above) it takes longer to open threads and post replies than it used to. Not ADVRider-type delays, but measurably slower than it used to be.

Problem's on my end, right? naughty.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    Ginger
    wxwax wrote:
    That's kinda what this deal feels like. naughty.gif I don't often get a chance to visit here during working hours. But I made a point of it this week. And I can conclusively, and sadly, report that dgrin is noticeably slower now than it used to be. "Used to be" in this case is less than a month ago.

I don't know if others are experiencing the same thing. ne_nau.gif All I can say is that using two different routes to the internet (as iterated above) it takes longer to open threads and post replies than it used to. Not ADVRider-type delays, but measurably slower than it used to be.

Problem's on my end, right? naughty.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Where ever one is is where the problem is IMO. I have AOL and comcast, but I use AOL alot, my friends are convinced all my problems are AOL. I am running McAfee, yet I was having so much trouble everywhere I ran an extra scan and found two Trojans in my husband's files. So I used that thing to set the date back.

I have a list of problems a "mile" long re this PC. No, I have found dGrin to be almost a breeze compared to some of the other things I do, like read and write mail.

Life is not easy on the computer for me right now, and when you are deaf, but don't use things like a TTY, as you just became too deaf to use the phone and most help is being outsourced, so the accents have not helped, well it is even more frustrating. I almost came on dGrin to ask you all what to do about a Trojan, McAfee said they cleaned it and they went away.

I have discovered the techs online just want to get rid of you, I am sure it is not the policy of the company, as in AOL, but the techs personally, suggest the most basic of fixes like dumping the cache. And they keep going til they found one you haven't done yet, then they say go do that and get back to us if it doesn't work. Since my husband never knows what I am doing, he is an easy target.

I am so frustrated, but not at dGrin.

But where are all the people. I just came in from taking the dogs out for a "business" break, and I am sweating 1/2 hr later. SC can be wonderful in the summer, but right now I don't feel like running around with a camera.

Is that where you all are, I thought most of you were night shooters.

Oh, and I am going to get notecards made out of two different dog pictures, 10 to 12 dollars a box on Shutterfly. Why can I not find the darn things on Smugmug. Now that is a complaint.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.