Options

Job Quote

chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited October 21, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
...outside of my photography passion, I am a working contractor normally bidding small, one-man jobs. I've gotten pretty good at putting prices together for my *normal* work, but lack some data on the pixel-side of things, namely what I should charge for computer time and mounting. Basically I'm doing processing for a client who goes to exotic places and bangs away with his Iphone, I take his favorites and do a Lightroom scrub, *may* go into my Topaz suite if necessary, then up to Photoshop to do any remaining adjustments plus a resizing so his images will print large. Then I mount the results on i/2" Gatorboard (8x12 and below I do in my cabinet shop...anything larger I have a man to do it}. I've heard $100 an hour is fair for photoshop/software work, Gatorboard is very expensive but the best no-warp stuff out there short of metal or plexi. Anyhow, suggestions would be welcome...I don't want to price myself out of work, but don't want to be way south of the market, either!:D
Charlie Groh
(tin can tied to the bumper)

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited October 21, 2013
    You want to cover equipment & software, labor, and any utilities & expenses in your hourly fee. You can price the actual print outside of your hourly fee but be sure to include the time it takes to mount and prepare the image into account. You might find that $100 is lower on the scale or not. It all depends on your situation.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    You want to cover equipment & software, labor, and any utilities & expenses in your hourly fee. You can price the actual print outside of your hourly fee but be sure to include the time it takes to mount and prepare the image into account. You might find that $100 is lower on the scale or not. It all depends on your situation.

...thanks for the input. Pretty much what I would do, but the computer time had/has me going a bit...I'll use the $100 number and go from there...it's all pretty straight up otherwise...thumb.gif
    Charlie Groh
    (tin can tied to the bumper)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited October 21, 2013
    There are a variety of different tools you could look at to quote. FotoQuote is one of them.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?