Packaging DVDs/CDs

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 22, 2013 in Weddings
I know many are going to USB, but clients want DVDs (I think the media is a little more stable, anyway).

STRUGGLING to find some pretty packaging. I know there are lots of companies which offer wholesale, but I only need maybe 3 boxes/folios, so it's not gonna work. Have put in a request for a Millers account, but so far... silence. :scratch

So, options? My colour printer at home isn't great (and the inks tend to fade), and I don't have a lightscribe burner. The fee for the gig was low enough that I can't put a bundle of $ behind it, but I'd like to deliver something classy rather than "just a DVD".

Thoughts? All help gratefully received.........!!

PS Totally ok with semi-making something (eg finding something nice and adding a ribbon closure myself) - anything at Michaels, Joanns or other hobby stores anybody knows about? I've been googlign for 3 days and have found NOTHING - help me out, folks!!

Comments

• jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    Labels are a big no-no in musician world, Sam - they often come unglued and disks get stuck. I've had that hammered into me for years, and I'd feel guilty doing it with photos!

What I've actually done is pick up a cheap Lightscribe extexrnal drive on eBay - at $30, it will pay for itself with just a few disks (plus it has other uses for me). So, if I can just find some affordable pretty packaging, I'm good to go. If I were doing the whole luxe wedding/album thing I'd go for something high end and have it in the cost of the shoot, but these two gigs didn't have material costs built into the fee so I don't want lumber myself with a ton of extra expenses. I'll come up with something - hopefully can find something classy and simple, and then do something cute and crafty with it! thumb.gif
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    WHCC has very slick looking DVDs and DVD cases for $29 I believe. I just buy blank white printable DVDs, and leave them un-printed and put them in the DVD case with all the awesome imagery on it. Yeah, the DVD is un-labeled, but it's kinda classy looking. You can also get printed DVDs, but then you gotta burn it perfectly the first time which I can't always trust my optical drives to do. :-(

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Labels are a big no-no in musician world, Sam - they often come unglued and disks get stuck. I've had that hammered into me for years, and I'd feel guilty doing it with photos!

What I've actually done is pick up a cheap Lightscribe extexrnal drive on eBay - at $30, it will pay for itself with just a few disks (plus it has other uses for me). So, if I can just find some affordable pretty packaging, I'm good to go. If I were doing the whole luxe wedding/album thing I'd go for something high end and have it in the cost of the shoot, but these two gigs didn't have material costs built into the fee so I don't want lumber myself with a ton of extra expenses. I'll come up with something - hopefully can find something classy and simple, and then do something cute and crafty with it! thumb.gif

I understand about the glue on labels. I did a few then stopped, but I thought it might be a short term solution for you.

I have a lightscribe and do use it. One thing you need to be aware of is the length of time it takes to actually scribe the disk. Plan on 20 minutes or so. :D

Sam
    edited October 21, 2013
    Thanks for the heads up on lengthy burn time, Sam thumb.gif

Have talked to some craft-y friends who gave me some great ideas, and also found Rice Studio Supply who have some LOVELY options for under $10. Still deciding how to proceed, but don't feel quite so lost now :)
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    I second WHCC- beautiful affordable cases - client loved them and fast delivery
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
    edited October 22, 2013
    I'd pretty much decided to go with Rice or make my own from card stock, and then got the freebie sample pack from Millers - WOW. I may change my mind and go with their printed 2-pack folio (which, since shipping is included, will come out about the same price as the Rice folios I think - about $10 each). Still thinking....