Options

Please add "open in new page" to single photo Go To URL block

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited October 23, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Please add an option in the dropdown list of Single Photo for "Open in New Page [or Tab]".
Since right click is the security feature for not downloading an image, there is no way for a visitor to keep on one page and view a photo in another.

There may be other blocks that have a "go to URL" functionality, and they too should have this added.
thanks.

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2013
    Well, the visitor can just middle-click on the photo to open it in a new tab.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Well, the visitor can just middle-click on the photo to open it in a new tab.
    True, if the visitor has a 3-button mouse. Not all do. And not all touchscreens support middle-click emulation.

SM shouldn't assume that all visitors are kitted-out for life at the "bleeding edge".
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited October 23, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    ...Since right click is the security feature for not downloading an image, there is no way for a visitor to keep on one page and view a photo in another.
    I hope that you're aware that right click protection does not protect your image. If an image is displayed it can easily be grabbed from the browser cache - right click protection does not stop that.

From the help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93274#protection:
    FYI: Right-click protection is a deterrent for image theft but it should not be considered fool-proof. To truly protect your images, lock galleries with a password or apply a watermark and disable your originals.
    --- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2013
    Yes, Denise, I know that, but thanks for the reminder. My question was not so much about the right click function.
    Because the Photo block settings only allowed "go to page" (staying on the same page), I thought users wouldn't have the option of opening a link into another tab any which way. I did not know that middle click would open an embedded photo in another tab. My mouse has the roller thingy as the middle mouse button so I tend not to try to use it for other functions.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited October 23, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Yes, Denise, I know that, but thanks for the reminder. My question was not so much about the right click function.
    Because the Photo block settings only allowed "go to page" (staying on the same page), I thought users wouldn't have the option of opening a link into another tab any which way. I did not know that middle click would open an embedded photo in another tab. My mouse has the roller thingy as the middle mouse button so I tend not to try to use it for other functions.
    Cool! There are so many people who don't know that, just wanted to be sure.

I don't have a middle mouse button either...

--- Denise