Options

Full width slideshow in Homepage

fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited October 24, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi all
I'd like to have a slideshow in homepage that could fill the width of the homepage itself and, needless to say :wink, should automatically adjust to the viewing on different devices.
I tried to use very wide images (up to 1600px) but, as I expected, this way fits well large screens like the one of my iMac, but doesn't work the same on smaller screens of laptops and tablets, where the image width gets someway scaled down and results in a much smaller slideshow than what I wish to have :scratch.
I figure it's something that could be, possibly, worked out in the CSS but, if that's the case, I don't have the skills to make it on my own.
Thanks to all for the help

Fabio

Comments

• Options
    dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    It looks like what I want is not presently possible. Here it is:

- Want it to look like this without the zooming.
    - Do not want to hard-code references to individual pics. It should pull all pics from a gallery.
    - Want it to be implemented as a SM slideshow with no need for custom CSS.
    - Want it to be supported by all browsers that SM currently supports.

Am I dreaming?
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    Someone else has to help at this point. But CSS is not hard....

EDIT: Complete confession necessary: CSS is not hard when a wizard gives you the code, and your job is copy/paste. :D
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Thanks, I went for the first link and the thread takes to a beatiful and effective customization! clap.gif
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    dberthia wrote: »
    It looks like what I want is not presently possible. Here it is:

- Want it to look like this without the zooming.
    - Do not want to hard-code references to individual pics. It should pull all pics from a gallery.
    - Want it to be implemented as a SM slideshow with no need for custom CSS.
    - Want it to be supported by all browsers that SM currently supports.

Am I dreaming?

Dberthia,
    You're not dreaming but you're going to have to either be patient or accept that there's a hack of a workaround and implement that. Like you, I'd love for the fullscreen background 'slideshow' to work as you say ... pull from photos in a gallery, not need custom CSS, and not need to be hard coded. As it stands, it's not available from smugmug. However, having visited SM HQ and talking to several SM'ers they're working hard on adding this functionality. It's coming. Be patient!

Like you I had the option of sitting tight and waiting ... or getting something that's pretty darn close. The Fullscreen slideshow that was put together and I reference on my Customizations site at least provides the functionality. And it's not very complicated. 10 minutes of work to get what you want isn't so bad ;)

Sit tight, it's coming.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    Dberthia,
    The Fullscreen slideshow that was put together and I reference on my Customizations site at least provides the functionality. And it's not very complicated. 10 minutes of work to get what you want isn't so bad ;)
    I have been here few years now and I wish I had more often such an easy going code to add!
    I confirm, a bit of simple paste and copy and it soon runs smoothly and effectively wings.gif
    For a mere 60$ a year I can't really expect more than this rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    I'm not afraid of CSS. I'm a professional web app developer. My point is that if I'm paying for a service, it'd just be nice if it was done for me so I didn't have to futz with it. One of the principles of good software development is "don't make the user think". It sometimes feels as though we have to think too much when it comes to basic styling and functionality. Don't get me wrong- I'm happy with SM and the new tooling. I just hope they can fill in some of the gaps.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    I'm not afraid of CSS. I'm a professional web app developer. My point is that if I'm paying for a service, it'd just be nice if it was done for me so I didn't have to futz with it. One of the principles of good software development is "don't make the user think". It sometimes feels as though we have to think too much when it comes to basic styling and functionality. Don't get me wrong- I'm happy with SM and the new tooling. I just hope they can fill in some of the gaps.
    I agree, to a certain extent, with you.
    Obviously, we all expect the biggest amount possible of service included in the fee we pay; the point is in defining what is worth the fee and in this regard we all have subjective opinions.
    From my point of view, the 60$ price I pay for the Power plan is well worth the level of customization I can get by default. Put it the other way: with a much higher level of customization by default the price tag would probably be much bigger and, maybe, you might end up with many features you don't really need but paid anyway.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 23, 2013

I hear ya dberthia. There's a lot of things on here that made me scratch my head and say "you released the new smugmug with THIS?!" There's so many things that make me feel like this is a 0.5 beta rather than a 1.0 release. For example, why is there no WSYWIG formatting bar for fonts or inserting images. The dgrin forums has more functionality for formatting things than the New SM. Right now you can change the font size and bold something but that's it. There should be all the normal options, insert image, insert link, change font, font size, font color, adding bullets, etc. Or how about on the menu content block -- why isn't there an easy button to click on to give your menu borders ... or to edit the padding. Why isn't there an easy way to edit mouse link color, hover color, etc.

Luckily, in the case of the fullscreen slideshow, SM is working on it. I think if we give them time a lot of our requests will get implemented :)
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    There's a lot of things on here that made me scratch my head and say "you released the new smugmug with THIS?!" There's so many things that make me feel like this is a 0.5 beta rather than a 1.0 release. For example, why is there no WSYWIG formatting bar for fonts or inserting images. The dgrin forums has more functionality for formatting things than the New SM. Right now you can change the font size and bold something but that's it. There should be all the normal options, insert image, insert link, change font, font size, font color, adding bullets, etc. Or how about on the menu content block -- why isn't there an easy button to click on to give your menu borders ... or to edit the padding. Why isn't there an easy way to edit mouse link color, hover color, etc.

Luckily, in the case of the fullscreen slideshow, SM is working on it. I think if we give them time a lot of our requests will get implemented :)

I saw on another thread that a SM staffer said they were testing or about to release new features on the text block. clap.gif
    Don't know the timeframe though. But I agree, SM will be adding/updating features. I think we *are* in .5 Beta but I don't mind that at all. Frustrating somewhat, but still good.