Options

Can't have pagination in galleries?

fadeoutfotofadeoutfoto Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited October 25, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Ugh I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. In my client login section I have some large wedding galleries that I would like to limit to 50 or so images per page, and have page navigation buttons at top and bottom of the multiple photo layout that I'm using across my whole site. I think it sucks if someone waits forever to scroll down for 800 images to finish loading, then if they click off that page and go back they may have to wait for everything to reload again. I see that I can have a list of galleries or pages broken down into separate pages, but why not images within a gallery? Am I missing something? Have searched this forum up and down but can't find any answers.

Please and thank you

fadeoutfoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2013
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2013
    Thanks but
    I don't see any info pertaining to what I'm looking for. There's code for removing pagination in what looks like Smugmug style, but I'm not using that style. And I don't mind having pages listed in light box mode. Basically I need to have control over how many images are on each 'page' within a gallery. When I click on my blog page, I can eventual get to a setting that will allow me to enable pagination of the content on front page of the blog, and it lets you control how many rows and stuff you want. Why is this not available in galleries too? When I try to get to same setting in a gallery, or group of galleries, or site wide, the 'multiple images' content box is locked and says 'reserved for default smugmug content' and no where are there settings that will let me split galleries into pages. Some of my blog post and galleries will be small, but the wedding galleries under 'client login' contain hundreds and hundreds of images and it makes no sense that I cant split those into 'pages' automatically by limiting how many images per 'page' or have page navigator. Grr.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2013
    Still waiting to hear back from SM email support about this. I'm having a hard time believing I'm the only person that has run into this issue but can't find anyone else posting similar problem. If light box can have pagination from image to image, why can't a huge gallery be limited to a custom number of images in collage landscape or whatever mode, and have the rest of the images populate the succeeding/automatically created pages? I know I'm being redundant here but I'm losing my mind and am in no way a programmer of any kind. My old website like 6 years ago was able to do this, and a friend programmed it for me while he was just learning HTML or whatever. This seems like a pretty basic function that should be readily customizable across all styles and layouts. C'mon smugmug!
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2013
    Still waiting to hear back from SM email support about this. I'm having a hard time believing I'm the only person that has run into this issue but can't find anyone else posting similar problem. If light box can have pagination from image to image, why can't a huge gallery be limited to a custom number of images in collage landscape or whatever mode, and have the rest of the images populate the succeeding/automatically created pages? I know I'm being redundant here but I'm losing my mind and am in no way a programmer of any kind. My old website like 6 years ago was able to do this, and a friend programmed it for me while he was just learning HTML or whatever. This seems like a pretty basic function that should be readily customizable across all styles and layouts. C'mon smugmug!

I think I'm not knowledgeable enough, but, can you check that you set your container parameters to only a certain dimension. In edit mode, click the "all galleries" section. Try on the Layout tab on the RIGHT black customize area, change the Layout option to Fixed (not Stretchy). There's also a body width lower down that on my site is set to auto px, that you can control.

For height - or to solve everything easily - CSS might work, but you need a CSS expert to join in here.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2013
    Thanks but yah that setting is just for width of image content box, so it can either be same size all the time, or adjust to how large of a screen each visitor is using. For instance, my arrangement of images is different on my desktop than it is on my laptop. This is okay with me as I want to maximize the real estate used by any given screen. I could see where this would not be desirable, say if I spent a ton of time making sure that certain images lined up next to each other in the collage and I wanted them to remain in that same layout no matter what sized screen the gallery was being viewed on.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2013
    That's not currently possible, though I think I remember reading SmugMug staff saying that it was something they plan to add.

Use the SmugMug-style if your galleries are really long, which does use pagination.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2013
    Ok thanks for info. And yah the whole point of my wanting this to work is I don't like Smug view. If you don't square the thumbnails the image pile looks like a mess, and if you do square them off you lose important parts of the image that make the tiny thumbnails even harder to recognize.