Input Needed - Camera Bags

Gobo FongoGobo Fongo Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited October 26, 2013 in Accessories
Hi! My name is Max and I'm working on a Top Secret, Revolutionary, All-New, Super Fantastic camera bag.

And I want your help!

Please let me know what your dream camera bag would be like. What kind of features do you like / wish you could get? How much gear do you want to be able to carry? How big is too big?

Thanks in advance, and anyone with winning ideas might just get a discount on the finished product (coming later this year).

For example:
"I need a bag that will stay put while running / climbing, and I need to be able to open it, pull out the camera, and take a picture one handed."

"I carry my 5DmkIII and 70-200mm, and a lot of camera bags just aren't big enough for that and a couple other lenses. I want to be able to carry the camera with lens attached, another lens or two, plus a couple light stands, umbrellas, and speed lights."
Check out my website at: www.billibilli.com

Which carrying option do you prefer (and why?) 41 votes

Backpack
39% 16 votes
Sling-Bag
17% 7 votes
Shoulder / Messenger Bag
31% 13 votes
Rolling Duffel / Gear Bag
12% 5 votes

Comments

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    how about a bag that can be configured / altered by the user

a bag that can hold either one or two ready to use camera's w lens attached
    short or long , all possible , perhaps even with a flash-unit attached

keep in mind that bags are meant for carrying , walking
    most bags look more like they are meant for storage ( body here , lens there , etc )
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    Ooh - WISH LIST!!! I'm in bag hell at the moment, so you've really pushed my start button :)

One of the reasons I personally have multiple bags is that I need different things for different scenarios, so something that can be adaptable and fill more than one "type" would be AWESOME.

For instance, I personally own:

- Aktivpak backpack, which acts as storage for my full rig at home, and which I carry on location as necessary (2x dslrs, 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm primes, 3 flashes, 3 flash triggers and all the other bits and pieces). (I also have a cheap shopping trolley into which I put my lightstands/modifiers). I keep toying with abandoning the backpack format and getting a wheelie since it is SO heavy when fully-loaded, but haven't found one that I like enough to buy yet.

- messenger bag (Crumpler 6mdh knock-off, aka the Versabag) - this is great when I don't need to carry EVERYTHING. It still holds quite a lot, but is way more carry-able, especially since I can wear it cross-body if I'm worried about leaving a bag where it might get stolen.

- My much-loved Swiss Gear doesn't-look-like-a-camera-bag tote. I love this bag to pieces, and it is GREAT for carrying a small outfit as a tourist, because it doesn't look like a camera bag. Got it at Best Buy 5 years ago and still use it A LOT. Big enough to hold a largeish dslr and a couple of lenses, but small enough not to be too heavy, and it will also fit inside a wheeled carry-on as needed. I wish I could get something like this slightly larger, as it would probably be my go-to bag.

All that said, I'm flying cross-country tomorrow with ONLY carry-on (curses United, on charging for a single checked bag!) and I am STILL struggling to figure out how to carry both camera gear AND 8 days worth of clothes/necessities as carry-on. My "perfect bag" for this week would be: a wheelie bag within average carry-on dimensions (thus less than 45 hxdxw linear inches) that is divided in some way for personal belongs in one section and configurable for gear in another, AND somehow has a detachable (or nestable) smaller section which could be used as a lensbag or combo purse/gearbag. Unisex is fine (although choices for gals who like stylish purses not objected to!! :D). And it mustn't look like a camera bag when you're carrying the smaller section. I'm a fan of teardrop slings, but messenger or tote style is good too. :D While I love luxury leather for bags, I think it adds too much weight, so the LIGHTEST robust materials would be preferred.

So, my wishlist:

- doesn't scream "camera bag"
    - big enough for professional gear, but can carry fewer items just as easily (some bags don't work well unless you stuff them) - attached cinch straps can work well for this if they are provided. Or expandable/shrinkable with zippers.
    - can be configured (eg wheelie with removable wheels, larger bag with smaller detachable section to make a day pak, or has a stowable smaller bag inside it - nested, maybe?)
    - Any wheeled bag is WELL within airline carry-on sizes AND can somehow be configured so gear *and* essentials can be more easily carried in one bag.
    - straps that can be configured as shoulder, crossbody or backpack; zippers under flaps, or placed so they can be turned against the body for security.

Small, but annoying details:
    - If velcro is used, include a silencer panel/flap so that it is possible NOT to have the sound of ripping velcro if you need to shoot silently!
    - Tote-style bags often have straps that are too short; they need to be long enough to easily go up on a shoulder and/or adjustable
    - zipper pockets big enough for something BIGGER than an iPhone (us Android users have bigger handsets and frequently "phone pockets" are a pain!)
    - LOTS of zipper pockets, so cards can go in one, batteries in another, personal items in another. Not just one big "accessories" pocket so everything gets lost or broken.

Hope that helps. If you want a beta tester, consider this me volunteering! :)
  • brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I thought I hit the jackpot...
    ..when I found the "Rotation 380 Pro." Wow a backpack good for all and everything! Well I think that it is impossible to find or make the perfect camera bag.

Don't read me wrong, please. The Rotation 380 is a good backpack and in some occasions perfect it has a large capacity, it has room for everything including a lap top and tripod. It fills well in aircrafts overhead bins, it isn't to heavy, easy to use on location, no need to place it on wet ground and more but it is not the perfect solution or the solution for all shooting situations.
    As matter of fact I will leave next week for a trip and I will take along my smaller Tamrac back pack.

And by the way, in my closet there are 8 camera bags/backpacks.

Good luck on you effort and let me know when you are ready to sell your camerabag, I might decide to buy another one.clap.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    There is no such thing as one camera bag
  • perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    This.
    cmason wrote: »
    There is no such thing as one camera bag

I have a tiny camera bag for carrying my Nikon 1 with a small lens.

I have a medlum sized bag for when I take my Canon or Nikon film cameras.

I have my old journalist bag from my newspaper days for carrying 2 bodies and 4 lenses.

I have my small Thinktank roller for my basic assignments

I have my large Thinktank roller for my bigger assignments

I have my grip bag for when I need to set remote cameras and need magic arms, safety wire, clamps, etc.

Sometimes I take a combo of these things.
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I have multiple camera bags, my two main bags are a backpack and a sling.

My camera backpack is a Crumpler Sinking Barge. I can fit almost all my equipment in there with a macbook. Now this bag I only use when Im traveling, on shoots when I need both my computer and camera. Waterproof material which is awesome and a selling point for me no need for those built in raincoats. I have another camera backpack as well which is a different design but holds just as much or more but the Crumpler is easier to get into.

My camera sling/bag is a Crumpler Talle.... Now this is my favorite camera bag!!! I can fit one camera SLR and 2-3 lenses depending on if I want to carry a flash. Both bags have plenty of pockets for accessories. Waterproof material which is awesome and a selling point for me no need for those built in raincoats.

I have other over shoulder camera bags that I dont like, very uncomfortable to carry around all day also these bags have that built in hide-away rain coats which I hate. lol sorry but annoying pulling out those raincoats and trying to get them over your bag.

So the bag all depends on what you are shooting that day and for how long and also comfort! Again my Crumpler Talle (sling-bag) is awesome one strap i throw it across my body and very comfy to wear also out of the way when shooting and if I need to change lenses very quick since its a sling like bag I can just pull it around my body reach in the bag when I need to get a lens or any other accessories.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I feel like it's a journey to finding that "right" bag.
    I've purchased 5 bags, and the only one I decently like is the ThinkTank retrospective.
    I'm thinking of getting the Streetwalker Pro, but I need to do something about these bags piling up.

I have 2 smaller bags (during early years/gears), 1 lowepro sling bag (terrible), 1 medium shoulder bag (good for hauling), and the retrospective (good for walking around).
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I have so many bags it's not even funny! Currently I use the LowePro Flipside 400 AW (I also have the 300 AW). I have a few LowePro modular pieces, and Tamrac sling bag, and shoulder bag....and some old school bags - lots of them!

What I am looking for is a bag that will fit a FEMALE body! The Flipside 400 AW is big enough for most of the gear that I have, but I think it is made for a man. It does not feel comfortable on my shoulders, and the waist strap doesn't help much to distribute the weight. I'd love a bag that has easy access (for me...but not thieves) and can carry all my camera equipment neatly and well organized.

Oh, how about a bag that has a hydration bladder for long excursions??? I would LOVE one of those. I know they make them, but it would be nice to have more options. :D

The most important for me is the comfort factor...if it's not comfortable to wear, I wind up not bringing all my stuff with me, and then I lose out on some great photo opportunities!

Good luck!
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Different Bags for Different Uses
    I have bags for shooting, for carrying equipment on a trip and for storage...

One single bag will not fill all of my needs...

I tend to go back to one bag for shooting:

Domke F-2 which I modified by switching the hard to manage clasps to trigger type clasps and by adding a Domke U.S. Post Office shoulder pad. Not so much for easing the weight (I usually don't carry my entire arsenal when shooting) but, because it helps prevent the strap from sliding off my shoulder. This pad is unique in that it is thicker on one side that the other, effectively preventing the bad from sliding.

OEM Domke clasps:
    Domke%20snap-L.jpg

Trigger clasps:
    Snap-L.jpg

I was just thinking last weekend while shooting, how comfortable and convenient the modified Domke seems.
  • doyledoyle Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Just make it comfortable to carry over a shoulder and easy enough to open and pull out a fully assembled camera with a single hand while keeping other items from falling out.
  • silvio000silvio000 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Exactly what doyle said, but in messenger style.

Sílvio Oliveirawww.silviooliveira.net

• TontoTonto Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I don't think a single bag can cover all the different combinations of gear that I carry so I have ended up with an assortment that are keepers, others have come and gone due to feature failure or excessive size.

The keepers:

Lowepro flipside 400AW for everyday use, any bigger and I will just put another body / lens that I don't really need in the bag.

Lowerpro dryzone 200 for when it just doesn't look like it will stop raining and I am going to be outside all day.

CCS Gladstone number 10 for when I want an over the shoulder style bag.

Peli 1550 hard case with either a divider insert or a Lowepro omnitreker in it.

Calumet wt 2175 hard case with the same inserts as above.

As my main transport is my motorbike I can either fit the soft bags in my panniers or ratchet strap hard bags to the bike to carry an ever changing assortment of gear and lights around with me.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    - doesn't scream "camera bag"wings.gifdeal
    - big enough for professional gear, but can carry fewer items just as easily (some bags don't work well unless you stuff them) - attached cinch straps can work well for this if they are provided. Or expandable/shrinkable with zippers.
    - can be configured (eg wheelie with removable wheels, larger bag with smaller detachable section to make a day pak, or has a stowable smaller bag inside it - nested, maybe?)
    - Any wheeled bag is WELL within airline carry-on sizes AND can somehow be configured so gear *and* essentials can be more easily carried in one bag.
    - straps that can be configured as shoulder, crossbody or backpack; zippers under flaps, or placed so they can be turned against the body for security.

Small, but annoying details:
    - If velcro is used, include a silencer panel/flap so that it is possible NOT to have the sound of ripping velcro if you need to shoot silently!
    - Tote-style bags often have straps that are too short; they need to be long enough to easily go up on a shoulder and/or adjustable
    - zipper pockets big enough for something BIGGER than an iPhone (us Android users have bigger handsets and frequently "phone pockets" are a pain!)
    - LOTS of zipper pockets, so cards can go in one, batteries in another, personal items in another. Not just one big "accessories" pocket so everything gets lost or broken.

Hope that helps. If you want a beta tester, consider this me volunteering! :)

Don't forget a little water resistance. I see too many camera bags that have nothing to prevent moisture and when they DO, they are too "camera bag" or too expensive.
  • MaulinMMaulinM Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2013
    I really enjoy my Domke F-803 bag. I have taken it with me on vacation and some shoots and it holds a lot of gear like a champ. Of course, if you want to lug around a lot of gear, you won't have easy access necessarily unless you purchase the dividers and organize properly. My biggest problem is that my camera tends to "get stuck" when I try and take it out with the bag still on my shoulders. That said, I really like the low profile of the bag - it doesn't look like a camera bag, and doesn't feel like one. If I take the divider out, it functions great as a regular bag.

I'd like to try some of the bag hacks rpcrowe mentioned, and I'd love a similar bag that was bike friendly in some way.

I definitely wouldn't take the bag with me on a serious hike. I have a Kata 3N1 Sling Backpack which is pretty good if I need something rugged or to carry around more gear. However, I really don't like the way the straps are designed, and it seems like they used extra padding to make up for poor strap construction and placement.

I'd love to have an affordable rugged bag similar to an osprey daypack but designed for cameras. I know there are options out there, but haven't needed to look into it yet.
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2013
    babowc wrote: »
    1 lowepro sling bag (terrible)

That was my first bag and, wow, it was junk. Almost put me off Lowepro for life.

I actually want 2 bags. I currently own two, but none of them satisfy me completely.

I have an f16 backpack that is wonderfully comfortable, but a bit too big to check in an airplane. It is also cumbersome to get gear out. Which is why I also have a sling, which I use for walking around short term. I would use the sling all the time but I have yet to find one that sits well on the back. If I carry around a couple of lenses, after a few hours I start getting physically uncomfortable. Somebody needs to develop a sling that can more evenly distribute weight on the shoulders when used in backpack mode.

Develop that, and I will buy it.
    Cave ab homine unius libri