Options

Can't paste text into text box?!

fadeoutfotofadeoutfoto Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited October 26, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
So I wanna keep all my blog posts backed up in a Word document in case SM eats my content one day. And since the typing goes slow while entering in text box (since its populating the actual design field as you type), I decided to just do my writing in Word then copy and paste it into text box in edit mode. And paste doesn't work! Argh. I'm terrible at typing in the first place and having to retype three paragraphs caused me enough frustration to nearly chuck a beer across the room. Anyone else have this problem or am I just a spaz? Ha ha

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2013
    No sorry I don't have that problem ... I don't drink beer!!! beer.gif

In another thread, Allen advised not to use copy and paste from Word (something about bringing unwanted formatting elements).
    He said to use a text editor like Notepad.
    Maybe worth a try on one paragraph first - paste and have a drink whether it works or doesn't.
    Repeat as many times as necessary to achieve success or pass out. beer.gif
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 26, 2013
    If you use keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste, try using the right click menu to copy and paste instead.

A word about Word. It does introduce a lot of unnecessary formatting when using cut and paste (you won't know the formatting is there either). Color, font, and so forth-none of which you need. The Notepad or other plain text editor is a good idea for this kind of thing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 26, 2013
    So I wanna keep all my blog posts backed up in a Word document in case SM eats my content one day. And since the typing goes slow while entering in text box (since its populating the actual design field as you type), I decided to just do my writing in Word then copy and paste it into text box in edit mode. And paste doesn't work! Argh. I'm terrible at typing in the first place and having to retype three paragraphs caused me enough frustration to nearly chuck a beer across the room. Anyone else have this problem or am I just a spaz? Ha ha

Thanks

Mike

One of our British users asks that everyone please refrain from using the word "spaz" as it quite derogatory in the UK and Ireland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic#United_Kingdom_and_Ireland

... Lynne Murphy, a linguist at the University of Sussex, described the term as being "one of the most taboo insults to a British ear".
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2013
    Ha thanks yah still no luck. : (. Even tried emailing myself the text and trying to paste with my iPad, but quickly found out that I can't even type into a text field on my iPad. Seriously? So I can't update a blog from a mobile device? Huge fail smugmug.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 26, 2013
    Ha thanks yah still no luck.
    It might be worth trying a different browser if you haven't already done that. I've seen problems with different browsers attempting different things in my smug site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2013
    Well I will admit that I'm running a PPC G5 and Safari and Firefox are way behind in updates as it's no longer supported. So I figured I'd try from my iPad, and I cant type anything into a text field. And I don't want to have to go the CSS/HTML route as I'm not a programmer and know that will get messy as hell for me.