Options

Post to Facebook from passworded galleries...

ClassicMemoriesKCClassicMemoriesKC Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 26, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I found out that you can only post photos to Facebook from non-passworded galleries. I asked tech support an the response was:

"You cannot enable sharing to Facebook from passworded galleries - that would defeat the purpose of having them passworded in the first place."

Are you kidding me? Passworded galleries are precisely the place form where clients want to post to Facebook as they have control on what photos they post and they have the option of giving access to their guests at their own risk.

I have Photo Booth business and client generally prefer to have passworded galleries that maintain their privacy and gives them the option of sharing photos with social media. If anything, it should be the reverse where you can post from passworded and not from non-passworded galleries.

What they are telling me is that if my clients want to post their private picture from their passworded gallery to Facebook, the only option they have is to make the gallery unlocked so anyone can access their pictures, and by extension, post them to Facebook/social Media without their permission? Do they understand how much trouble I would be in if someone else starts posting to Facebook pictures for which they do not have permission? Since I have no way of controlling who accesses the public, non-passworded galleries, I have no way to prevent this.

Many clients, particularly brides want to look at the gallery first and many times will request that we remove unflattering pictures before they share them with guests.

I have to think that someone must have a reason to do this, but for my particular business, it does not work at all.

Obviously this is not an acceptable situation for my use and I cannot present this approach to my clients without losing their business. I cannot imagine anyone accepting a gallery with no privacy.

Furthermore, I can access my SmugMug site from my cell phone web browser, open a passworded gallery and click on a picture, I can then select view picture and the photo will open in a new window and now I can select the options button and select share link and I can send to Facebook.
And…
If I use SmugMug's own application for Android, access my site, select a passworded gallery and the keep my finger pressed on a photo, a menu will open with an option to post the picture directly to Facebook.

In short, I can post a picture to Facebook from a passworded gallery from my cell phone web browser, from any Android Pad/Tablet and from SmugMug's own application for Android but I cannot do it from a Windows computer. It does not make any sense.

I would like to have the option of being able to display the share icon for passworded and non-passworded galleries.

Since I started looking at this issue, I have heard from a number of photo booth operator that have left SmugMug just for this reason.

Tech. Support/SmugMug Hero suggested I join this forum and hopefully someone has a workaround of some sort or maybe a solution using HTML or Java in the CSS.

I would like to know what other users think of this issue. Obviously, the way it is structured now does not work for my business type. Any suggestions or solutions will be greatly appreciated. If I cannot resolve this issue, I will have to find to abandon SmugMug; I understand, most of the competitors provide this feature.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    TheBradfordTheBradford Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2013
    Good luck - considering there has been minimal talk on implementing a client gallery in the first place, this will probably be added to the innumerable other things that need to be added as useful functions to the new SM.
    Bradford

edited October 26, 2013
    Thanks for the reply.
    In my business, all the pictures for an event are placed in a passworded "client" gallery where the client can access his/her pictures and review them before making them available to guests.
    The part I don't understand is why SmugMug does not allow posting to Facebook from that gallery but if I remove the password, anyone that has internet access can then post to Facebook from the non-passworded gallery. In my opinion, it should be backwards, or better yet, permission to post to Facebook should be a property of each gallery and set as the owner sees fit.
    This approach does not even apply to SmugMug own Android application from where you can post to Facebook from passworded galleries.
    I had not used tech. support before and the use of "heroes" does not work well for me as each response is from a different person and there is no continuity. It would be nice to be able to get a hold of someone that is part of the development team and get actual answers instead of talking points.