Options

Email contact form hide from spam

toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited October 28, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Now that the new Smugmug doesn't allow java-script, I am wondering the most effective way to hide email addresses from spammers.

I have added a contact form by way of using the generic smugmug one that pops up in a small box, but I am not very keen on this.

Would an image with the email details be effective in hiding it from spamming?

Comments

• Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    When you are logged in to SM and test your contact form' it shows your email address.
    But when you're logged out, or when a visitor or your site clicks the contact form, then no @ddress is inserted anywhere, so as I see itm there's no spamming concern, but CMIIW.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    This is really great, NOT!
    Your email address is right there in your page source for everyone to grab and send spam.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Your email address is right there in your page source for everyone to grab and send spam.

Yeah, for that very reason (spammers) I didn't add mine at the bottom of the site like I'd done on the Legacy site. I just have the generic SmugMug form, for now, and people have used it successfully. Not sure of any workaround other than javascript. ne_nau.gif
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    Yeah, for that very reason (spammers) I didn't add mine at the bottom of the site like I'd done on the Legacy site. I just have the generic SmugMug form, for now, and people have used it successfully. Not sure of any workaround other than javascript. ne_nau.gif

What about an image with details on it, this would be effective wouldn't it?
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2013
    toadlet wrote: »
    What about an image with details on it, this would be effective wouldn't it?

An image can be used, I guess, but the viewer would have to type in the photog's email address right (since it wouldn't be hyperlinked to the email address when it's clicked)?

I didn't wish to go that route. I figured the form would be more convenient for the viewer.
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2013
    Thanks pmbpro - What do you mean when you said "I didn't add mine at the bottom of the site like I'd done on the Legacy site." Was there somewhere on the legacy site for your email address to show up? How is this different to the smugmug form, is your email address hidden from the code on this form?
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2013
    I just looked at the code for the smugmug contact form and it does show your email address, so spammers would be able to use it.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    FWIW, I just checked my NewSM contact-form page-source...

My email address is in there when I'm logged in, but it's not in there when I'm logged out.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2013
    toadlet wrote: »
    I just looked at the code for the smugmug contact form and it does show your email address, so spammers would be able to use it.
    On legacy the contact form shows your email address when logged in and was sent to the help desk. On
    NewSmug logged in the contact shows your email address and sends the email back to you. eek7.gif

Logged out your email does not show in either.

Why would anyone email them selves? Stupid. They need to fix this and set it like legacy.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog