Options

Location of captions by Gallery style - collage portrait vs. landscape?

GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited October 29, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'm stumped. I love the new collage layouts, but I somehow have my site set up so that galleries with Collage Landscape setting display with captions in a hover-over bottom bar, but galleries with Collage Portrait settings display with captions underneath.

I'm not sure how I got there, and I'd like the option of having captions appear on bottom bar or under as appropriate regardless of the style chosen.

Here's one in Collage Landscape: http://sunnyshots.smugmug.com/PhotoBlog/2013
Here's one in Collage Portrait: http://sunnyshots.smugmug.com/PhotoBlog/2012

Two other issues:
1) I have Filenames turned ON in all galleries, but filenames are not displaying in any galleries - is that a bug right now? Should I submit a ticket? Here's an example of a gallery that has descriptive filenames that should suffice as captions, but they're not showing: http://sunnyshots.smugmug.com/Family/2013/Sope-Creek-with-Liz-and-Jackie-1

2) Is there any way to modify the size of the lightbox display? If I don't put captions in the main gallery display, I want people to be able to read them in the lightbox. As it stands, the image gets so big by default that the caption is unreadable at the bottom of the page.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited August 17, 2013
    GRBlizz wrote: »
    I'm stumped. I love the new collage layouts, but I somehow have my site set up so that galleries with Collage Landscape setting display with captions in a hover-over bottom bar, but galleries with Collage Portrait settings display with captions underneath.

I'm not sure how I got there, and I'd like the option of having captions appear on bottom bar or under as appropriate regardless of the style chosen.
    There is an info style in the settings for galleries and folders that designates where the caption appears. I clicked the wrench icon on the folders or galleries to get there. The style is designated on the basic tab. Then on the display tab you can select the info style.

--- Denise
  • Options
    martintylermartintyler Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    There is an info style in the settings for galleries and folders that designates where the caption appears. I clicked the wrench icon on the folders or galleries to get there. The style is designated on the basic tab. Then on the display tab you can select the info style.

--- Denise

Denise, where are you getting to this? Which wrench icon?

For actual galleries, as far as i know, you cannot do this.. you just get 'AREA RESERVED FOR DEFAULT SMUGMUG CONTENT' and no wrench icon.

For folders, pages, everything else, yes, you are right - but not for galleries
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited August 17, 2013
    Denise, where are you getting to this? Which wrench icon?

For actual galleries, as far as i know, you cannot do this.. you just get 'AREA RESERVED FOR DEFAULT SMUGMUG CONTENT' and no wrench icon.

For folders, pages, everything else, yes, you are right - but not for galleries
    Sorry, I was on the wrong page! I opened a top level folder on my site. Then I did a Customize site, all folders. There are two boxes displayed there, one for folders and one for galleries. I clicked the wrench icons for "on all folders" in both the folder space and the galleries space.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Sorry, I was on the wrong page! I opened a top level folder on my site. Then I did a Customize site, all folders. There are two boxes displayed there, one for folders and one for galleries. I clicked the wrench icons for "on all folders" in both the folder space and the galleries space.

--- Denise

Thanks. I can't even replicate that, except for the homepage. Still hoping for some help!
  • Options
    ChonteChonte Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 12, 2013
    Hello,

same problem here on galleries :
    Standard collage portrait displays caption under photos. Automatically.
    Standard collage landscape doesn't and no settings available to change that.

Thanks for your help.
    Christian
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2013
    There's currently no way around it, as SmugMug currently don't let us customise the options for the various gallery layouts (I really wish they would add this).

The best you could do would be to hide the captions entirely.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2013
    Dang it! I have this problem too. I really don't understand why we cannot change the display settings on the actual gallery level.

Can someone from Smugmug chime in?
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited October 18, 2013
    I tried with code and couldn't make the text move to that space and display properly. But that gallery styles design was chosen by our design team. I'll point them to this thread so they can see what you are looking for.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013
    Smug Eric wrote: »
    I tried with code and couldn't make the text move to that space and display properly. But that gallery styles design was chosen by our design team. I'll point them to this thread so they can see what you are looking for.

It's simple Eric - we want exactly the same options we get on every other kind of page on Smugmug!

Folders pages and Custom pages both allow you to configure them - galleries, which are arguably the most important pages don't.

I can't believe this still isn't fixed.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013
    Smug Eric wrote: »

Eric, I had a support email exchange with Hero Ana on September 1 of this year, and she said the following: "gallery styles currently cannot be customized, so yes, the captions will show as Hover in the bottom bar in the collage landscape gallery style, and under the photo in the collage portrait gallery style. I wish I had a different answer for you!"

I really wish this would change. Portrait and Landscape Collages are in may ways very similar, so it's not a huge deal. But each layout "shows off" different images, so I'd like the flexibility of using the style that suits the images rather than the style that offers the caption choice I need.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2013
    It's simple Eric - we want exactly the same options we get on every other kind of page on Smugmug!

Folders pages and Custom pages both allow you to configure them - galleries, which are arguably the most important pages don't.

I can't believe this still isn't fixed.

Martin,

I know you will think I am being dishonest, but it's not a simple "fix". Galleries are not the same as content blocks. They are built in a completely different way. So just so a content block can do something with a photo, doesn't necessarily mean it's a quick fix for the galleries. We have heard all of your feedback, and I have submitted much of it to our product team to investigate for future redesigns. In the meantime, I think dropping a multiple content block into a custom page might help with some of your most important galleries.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013
    yep, that is what I have done for my main portfolio galleries - but that is extra work, you have to think about your urls and cluttering your hierarchy (now you have pages mirroring galleries)

I know it could well not be easy to implement, galleries are different, you probably can't just change a couple of lines of code to enable what you have elsewhere..

The 'its simple' comment was just about the requirement, which in all the threads about this was not being acknowledged. We aren't asking for anything you don't already have elsewhere, so the requirements are straight forward