Options

Stumped in CS5

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited October 30, 2013 in Finishing School
It's driving me nuts.

I've created a new document in CS5, 6" wide, with a resolution of 240. I'm copying and pasting an image that is 5" wide with a resolution of 240, but the image is blowing up inside the document, coming out too big for the document. I know from past experience that if the resolution of the image doesn't match the resolution of the document you're pasting it into there will be a discrepancy in size, but as far as I know, I have everything set up properly.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    Its simple. You are copying an image that is 1440 pixels wide into an image that is only 1200 pixels wide. It has NOTHING to do with resolution and everything to do with pixel count.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Its simple. You are copying an image that is 1440 pixels wide into an image that is only 1200 pixels wide. It has NOTHING to do with resolution and everything to do with pixel count.

I solved it. (and as far as I know, I was trying to paste identical pixels into identical pixels)

There were two images involved. The image I sent to CS5 directly from LR, I had no problems with; it copied and pasted exactly as I would have expected it to. The image I grabbed via "open>file" was the one I had problems with, even though I re-sized everything identically in CS5. In other words, the image that gave me problems had been processed and exported first, which I then brought into CS5. Weird.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    FOOTNOTE: When pasting one image into another, forget about resolution (xxx pixels/inch) and inches. Those are relevant only to print output. Just pay attention to actual pixel dimensions.

muke.jpg

Pay attention to the numbers in the highlighted section. Ignore the numbers in the "Document Size" section. Those are relevant only -- only -- to print.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 30, 2013
    What Peano said.
    Resolution refers to ink on paper.

When copying an image on top of another image, as a layer, you want the dimensions, in PIXELS, to match. Otherwise, you will have to select one image, and use the image transform command to adjust the size to match, but that is a kind of kludge.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin