Options

100 - 400l

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited October 27, 2013 in Cameras
This morning as I have done in the past been in the same position photographing squirrels close up using 5DMk111 and 100 - 400L lens. I have done this many times before without any problems. However, this morning I found I was unable to fully focus giving a pin sharp result. On occasions the AF was not focusing at all when pressing the shutter half way. In view of this I decided to pack in as it was so frustrating. When I got to the main entrance of the reserve I tried different length exposures and the AF appeared to be working fine.
I have taken so many shots of squirrels in the past. I have never experienced any problem whatsoever with the AF shooting under the very same conditions.
I would appreciate any help or advice on this.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited October 24, 2013
    Hi Bob,

The Minimum Focus Distance (MFD) for the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM zoom lens is 70.9"/5.9' (1.8m) @ 400mm. I suspect that you were dealing with semi-tame squirrels, which can get much closer than that.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Hi Bob,

The Minimum Focus Distance (MFD) for the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM zoom lens is 70.9"/5.9' (1.8m) @ 400mm. I suspect that you were dealing with semi-tame squirrels, which can get much closer than that.

Thanks Ziggy. Yes they are semi-tame squirrels. I have photographed these many times before at very close range without any trouble. T tried the camera and lens again when I got home and at long distances. It was focusing but I was not getting a fully pin sharp focus. I tried the lens on the 5D Mk11 and it was the same. After using the AF I had to use manual to get the fully sharp focus. I have only had the lens since 12th June this year. I have spoken to Amazon and they have agreed to replace it with a new one and have dispatched one today and it will arrive tomorrow. One couldn't ask for anything better than that.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 24, 2013
    Bob, check your focus limiter switch. Maybe it got switched it to the longer range. For closer objects you want to make sure it's on the 1.8M setting.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Bob, check your focus limiter switch. Maybe it got switched it to the longer range. For closer objects you want to make sure it's on the 1.8M setting.

Thanks Joel I tried that. I had it on 1.8 when photographing the squirrels at a very close range but was making no difference. For a much longer range I changed it to the other setting and it was still playing up. It was trying to focus but would not fully focus to give a sharp image. Sometimes it would not make any attempt to search for a focus.
    Thanks for your kind help.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    Thanks Joel I tried that. I had it on 1.8 when photographing the squirrels at a very close range but was making no difference. For a much longer range I changed it to the other setting and it was still playing up. It was trying to focus but would not fully focus to give a sharp image. Sometimes it would not make any attempt to search for a focus.
    Thanks for your kind help.
    Cheers
    Bob

Just to update. I received a new replacement 100 - 400L and after trying it I found it perfect in every respect just like my other until it started playing up. Amazon really are good and are to be applauded as I received a replacement in less than 24 hours of informing them of my problem.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited October 25, 2013
    That's great, Bob. Kudos to Amazon. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That's great, Bob. Kudos to Amazon. clap.gif

Certainly is Ziggy.
    Bob
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    Just to update. I received a new replacement 100 - 400L and after trying it I found it perfect in every respect just like my other until it started playing up. Amazon really are good and are to be applauded as I received a replacement in less than 24 hours of informing them of my problem.
    Cheers
    Bob

glad Amazon came through for you
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    glad Amazon came through for you

Yes no complaints whatsoever.
    Bob