Options

Banging my head against a wall here :( How to change the sidebar size?

MysticpumaMysticpuma Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited November 1, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Okay, primarily I am a Photographer with '0' web-page design knowledge. I have Smugmug as a gallery to show my images and with the 'Legacy' version I suffered a lot getting it set up, but managed it eventually.

Now I have the option to move to 'New Smugmug', but I find it nearly incomprehensible in comparison to the first version.

So I have the name "DecisiveImaging", how do I get to make the sidebar wider so I can see the full name?

Issue shown in image below.

Cheers, DI

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2013
    No head-banging allowed. eek7.gif Too dangerous.
    Okay I'm not 100% sure this will fix your problem, but give it a try.
    On the black right side, click the Layout tab, scroll down, and change the px width of your left sidebar.

For theme choice, when you are done playing, and click Done (upper right corner on green bar), there is an option to Save. Save. I think you will assign a name. I say I think because I'm a bit beyond that in terms of customizing, and I can't quite recall what I did.

If that works, then next is, when you open to customize site again, if your theme seems "gone", do this:
    - Click the Theme tab on the right, scroll down to the bottom to My Themes (under Available Themes). Open it and select the one you saved.
    - This should 'populate on the part of the site you are working on.
    - This time, when you're done playing for the moment, click DONE (upper right corner on green bar), and click PUBLISH. This is "save what I've done and show me my new site privately".
    - Next time you log in to customize, you should see your theme in place.
    - When you click to one of the other sections of your site (the list in the top right of the black section, Entire Site, Homepage, All Folders, All Galleries, and Just this page, you may need to re-apply your theme choice like you did above. Each time, just end with DONE and PUBLISH. When you've applied your theme to all parts of your site, then customizing gets easier in the future because there's one consistent theme.

FYI there is no option to save a theme you've customized, to a new name, as a 2nd version. You can, however, make an infinite number of "new themes". Just choose a new theme, and save it with a new name. When I first tried this I thought it would be efficient to try modifying different themes, to see if I liked one over the other. Honestly that didn't work, and as I created something in one theme and realized I really did like this other theme so I would need this customization I was doing, on the other theme, which meant I would have to do the work twice, I stepped back and decided to settle with just one of the themes I had created. Now I just continue to customize my 'new site'.

Don't use the "preview" option at the top, I don't know what it does and apparently it's a bit buggy. Just do DONE - PUBLISH each time.