Options

New Gallery Sort Direction "Random"

AndreasVAndreasV Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited November 3, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Please add a Sort Direction "Random" to sort a gallery in Gallery settings. I present my images in one large gallery > 1.500 photos (including keyword search). My visitors should see randomly different images at the top, each time they visit my SmugMug homepage.

Similar feature request are concerning the slideshow

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237652 Slideshow by keyword - random
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237194 Random Slideshow Order

Thanks

Andreas

Comments

• Options
    AndreasVAndreasV Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    sorry I mean "Sort By" Random.
  • Options
    bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    Yes! Please do this!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 27, 2013
    AndreasV wrote: »
    ...I present my images in one large gallery > 1.500 photos (including keyword search). My visitors should see randomly different images at the top, each time they visit my SmugMug homepage.
    As a viewer I would see this as extremely frustrating. When I look at a gallery on someone's site I am most interested in seeing the new photos first. Then I may or may not browser through other photos or galleries on the site. Also - random order in a gallery that large would make it very difficult to find an image I want to go back too.

Have you asked your visitors what they think?

--- Denise
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    As a viewer I would see this as extremely frustrating. When I look at a gallery on someone's site I am most interested in seeing the new photos first...

--- Denise

I agree but it would still be useful.
    For instance if you had a hidden gallery used for your homepage slideshow it would give the random feature everyone is looking for.

Speaking of seeing new photos first. We need the option of the 1-9 / 9-1 available for Sort Manually.
    It's no fun when every uploaded picture ends up at the bottom of the gallery instead of the top.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2013
    As a viewer I would see this as extremely frustrating. When I look at a gallery on someone's site I am most interested in seeing the new photos first. Then I may or may not browser through other photos or galleries on the site. Also - random order in a gallery that large would make it very difficult to find an image I want to go back too.

Random sort order might have some advantages for me... i was shooting some fireworks this weekend, and sometimes you see similar effects next to each other. Currently i'm using manual sort order and mix the photos around a bit.

I'm shooting on a convention once a year and of course i make multiple photos from the same actor, just from different views or using different camera settings. Sometimes a chronological order would make a gallery look boring...

For me a button "randomize order" would be nice, so i would not have to randomize the photos manually. It's not to have a random sort on every view of the gallery, just to mix photos around after upload.

So... this is not what the TO was asking for, but something similar.

You can see a sample of that currently on my Activity page here (Some of the firework photos at the end of the site look similar). On the gallery page here i mixed the photos around and that looks more intresting to me...