Suggestion: Distinguish Videos

TysonTyson Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited September 7, 2004 in SmugMug Support
After using smugmug for several months, I've been amazed with all its great features and ease of use, and most importantly, that the owners actually listen to their customers and add features that they want.

One feature that is on the very top of my list that would make it much easier to browse galleries would be to distinguish which thumbnails represent just photos and which ones represent videos.

Is there currently a way or setting so that when you view a gallery in thumbnails or traditional view, that the videos can be distinguished? It would be great to be able to scan through a gallery to find videos without having to click on each thumbnail.

Maybe a watermark or little icon next to the thumbnail? I tried adding my own watermark to the beginning of my videos but found out that the thumbnail shown for the videos is actually a frame that's a couple seconds into the video.

Any suggestions would be great!

Keep up the good work!

=)Tyson

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    Tyson wrote:
    One feature that is on the very top of my list that would make it much easier to browse galleries would be to distinguish which thumbnails represent just photos and which ones represent videos.
    Hear hear!
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Hear hear!
    A simple caption "this is a video clip" will do.

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    Thank you,

• TysonTyson Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2004
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    A simple caption "this is a video clip" will do.

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    That is actually what I've been doing for now, however, the captions only show up with the thumbnails when the gallery is viewed in "Traditional" view. I have set some of my galleries to "Traditional" view so that people could tell which thumbnails were actually videos. However, by setting a view for the gallery, people can't choose the view they want to view the gallery (which I would like them to be able to do).

Any suggestions, Baldy?

=)Tyson
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    This looks like another job for style sheets! If it is possible in the code to determine if what we are linking to is a movie, then i can set up a class tag for it that you can apply some definitions too. This way everyone can decide if they like the image that smugmug uses to show it is a movie, or they can make their own.
    edited July 12, 2004
    {JT} wrote:
    This looks like another job for style sheets! If it is possible in the code to determine if what we are linking to is a movie, then i can set up a class tag for it that you can apply some definitions too. This way everyone can decide if they like the image that smugmug uses to show it is a movie, or they can make their own.
    That would be fantastic!

Would this image be in addition to the thumbnail or would it replace the thumbnail? I don't want to lose the thumbnail it shows for the video like it does for password protected galleries (since I still want to know what the video is), but a small icon next to it would be perfect!

And the customization would make it even better!!!

=)Tyson
    edited July 12, 2004
    It really depends on how you want to edit the CSS, you can have it replace the image, be next to it, or around it. What I would like to do for smugmug though is to have an overlay. So that you would still see the thumbnail behind it, but a play button or camcorder icon over it.
    Tyson wrote:
    That would be fantastic!

Would this image be in addition to the thumbnail or would it replace the thumbnail? I don't want to lose the thumbnail it shows for the video like it does for password protected galleries (since I still want to know what the video is), but a small icon next to it would be perfect!

And the customization would make it even better!!!

=)Tyson
    edited July 12, 2004
    {JT} wrote:
    It really depends on how you want to edit the CSS, you can have it replace the image, be next to it, or around it. What I would like to do for smugmug though is to have an overlay. So that you would still see the thumbnail behind it, but a play button or camcorder icon over it.
    Having an overlay would be my first choice if it wasn't much harder to do. That's what I was dreaming would be THE feature I'd like to add to smugmug.

Will it be a lot of work to get this working? I can definitely test things out for you as you try and implement it.

=)Tyson
    edited July 13, 2004
    It may not be too hard to do, but it is part of the planned overhaul to the entire site and the CSS code that needs to be added to it. As soon as we get the next project out the door, I will have a better idea as to when it will be added :)
    Tyson wrote:
    Having an overlay would be my first choice if it wasn't much harder to do. That's what I was dreaming would be THE feature I'd like to add to smugmug.

Will it be a lot of work to get this working? I can definitely test things out for you as you try and implement it.

=)Tyson
    edited September 7, 2004
    {JT} wrote:
    It may not be too hard to do, but it is part of the planned overhaul to the entire site and the CSS code that needs to be added to it. As soon as we get the next project out the door, I will have a better idea as to when it will be added :)
    Has there been any progress on distinguishing videos yet? It's definitely the feature on the top of my waiting list.

I have a couple hundred photos from a trip that I'll be uploading soon, and ideally I'd want to have the videos amongst the other photos in the order they were taken. But for now, since people won't be able to tell which thumbnails are videos, I think I'll have to make a complete separate gallery just for videos.

-Tyson
    edited September 7, 2004
    As of now, there has not been any progress on making videos stand out. The priority has been getting the new cart out there and the cropping tool, but soon it will be the visual overhaul.
    Tyson wrote:
    Has there been any progress on distinguishing videos yet? It's definitely the feature on the top of my waiting list.

I have a couple hundred photos from a trip that I'll be uploading soon, and ideally I'd want to have the videos amongst the other photos in the order they were taken. But for now, since people won't be able to tell which thumbnails are videos, I think I'll have to make a complete separate gallery just for videos.

-Tyson