Options

Finding a bag

frofanfrofan Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited November 7, 2013 in Accessories
Hi all, I'm a long time lurker. I'm an amateur photographer at best. I have a D90, 50mm, and 18-200 that I would like to carry. I also have a 15" Macbook that would need to fit. In addition to the camera equipment and laptop, I would like enough room to fit a change of clothes and a book for travelling. I would prefer a backpack and not a sling.

I think I have it narrowed down to 4 bags, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm only looking for input if you have personally used or been around at least 2 of the bags to be able to offer any first hand experiences.

Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Lowepro Transit 350
Vanguard Skyborne
Kata Bumblebee

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    belgiantrotterbelgiantrotter Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2013
    Lowepro is really got quality. I have a Flipside 300 that I use for daily hikes. very good bag and have had a few of those...

I just went through a detailed selection for a newer bigger bag that I use on big long trip to carry all my gear including a big sigma 150-500 and a few other lenses + a second body.
    I hate to add another brand to your list but ...
    I ended up going for a thinktank bag http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/camera-backpacks/airport-backpacks.aspx
    the airport commuter and essentials are really nice as they meet carry-on restrictions on airplanes..

I have the commuter which also includes a laptop section + tablet section. the bag is really massive.... packed on my recent trip to Africa I was carrying around nearly 15 KG of stuff ...

dont know about the change in clothes but if you don't fill it with all camera gear I guess you could easily put a t-shirt and some other stuff in there.
    not sure how many clothes you want to bring (even for the other bags you are considering)

but with lowepro you can't go wrong.
  • Options
    MolsondogMolsondog Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2013
    +1 for the Karachi Outpost. I just got it and it's terrific. Holds D800, 28-70, 16-35, 50, 100 with enough room for Leica and and extra lens. I could fit in charger, etc. but that pushes it. Love the top compartment for personal stuff. Water bottle, etc. goes in outside pockets.
    frofan wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm a long time lurker. I'm an amateur photographer at best. I have a D90, 50mm, and 18-200 that I would like to carry. I also have a 15" Macbook that would need to fit. In addition to the camera equipment and laptop, I would like enough room to fit a change of clothes and a book for travelling. I would prefer a backpack and not a sling.

I think I have it narrowed down to 4 bags, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm only looking for input if you have personally used or been around at least 2 of the bags to be able to offer any first hand experiences.

Crumpler Karachi Outpost
    Lowepro Transit 350
    Vanguard Skyborne
    Kata Bumblebee

Thanks!