How long to shoot 47 individual people?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 11, 2013 in People
Aargh. Have been asked - as a favor, this is not for money! - to take individual shots of the cast of Mini-D's current production. Apparently that will be 47 people (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

My gut hunch is to say no, but if I do cave and wind up doing it (groan), what would be the easiest/best way, and about how long per person? I'll have to figure out how to light it, too - I only have speedlights, and there is no way I'm spending money on renting lights.

I was thinking a white background (either let it fall to grey, or high key lit if I can figure out how with what I have without frying my flashes and/or batteries), and about 2 minutes per person. At least half of them are under the age of 10 (bigger groan.....................)

As I say, I may just decline, but if I get persuaded..... thoughts?

Comments

• DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    It sounds like one of my middle school shoots. Assuming that they are similarly behaved to most children, you'll need at least one assistant for crowd control, and if you want anything more than generic lighting / one look for everyone, you'll need another one to move lights for you. If your getting 3-5 shots per individual (which you no doubt will what with blinking, giggling and such) then your going to have an issue with over-heating your flashes, least wise I do with my SB-900's just about every time (I know that they have a heat issue). You'll want, if possible to keep the ones waiting for their photos away from where you are taking photos, as kids like to heckle one another which really screws up the flow in a situation like this. I think that your better off letting the white go grey, unless you have enough speed lights to switch them when they go hot (external battery packs help with that). If you have enough help you can do it, after all you're a much better photog than I, but it definitely needs to be planned and set up well, with the crowd control, lighting, and hair people all knowing exactly what to do, otherwise you get what I usually get which can be somewhat disappointing and requires a lot of post.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    2 min per kid sounds about right assuming they are all lined up and ready to go
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    This makes me want to do it even less..... rolleyes1.gif
  • kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    I reckon it takes around 2.5 minutes.
    Good luck
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    I've gotten roped into this sort of thing a few times and can give a bit of advice.

Refuse to do this unless you will have the assistance of at least two other parents. The only way this works is if you have these other helpers getting the kids lined up and the next kid ready to have the portrait taken. If you are wasting your time asking for the next subject, you will go crazy. If you focus just on the photography, you can easily take each shot in less than one minute. I did 130 kids and took two shots each in under one hour for a school function at IB graduation next to the "Lamp of Knowledge".

I would only do this with my studio strobes. They have very fast recycle times and I don't have issues with power varying the output of my flashes due to batteries draining. Set up first with mini-D and dial in your lights and settings. Then just shoot manual. This will hasten your PP since all of your shots will be consistent.

Here's one at my temple. Over 70 women in one hour each holding a torah.
    38-L.jpg

Here's an example of one of the 130 kids from IB graduation.
    61-L.jpg
    edited November 11, 2013
    Thanks all. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I'll politely decline. I took production shots for them as my contribution to the cause so have already "donated" a good chunk of time and energy to the production, and a mass photoshoot like this is a HUGE job. And one which I actually don't have the gear to handle easily (no studio strobes at my disposal).

Thanks for the input!!
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    Get helpers for sure but I would pass. This is taking advantage of you.
    edited November 11, 2013
    I did indeed take a pass on this one thumb.gif
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    I can do T&I for a LL baseball team of 12 kids in 15 minutes. But I charge a minimum $20 pre-order per kid who wants an individual shot, for which the parent gets a $25 coupon code.

I would approach this job and say $250 and everyone gets a 5x7, take it or leave it. And that is being generous.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.