Maroc

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited November 25, 2013 in Journeys
Spent a couple of fantastic weeks on a dental working trip to the Atlas Mountains.

DAV_6248-XL.jpg

We lost the game of chicken on these narrow roads. Everytime!

But the people are very nice.

DAV_6256-XL.jpg
DAV_6275-XL.jpg

Heading into the first town we stayed.

DAV_6279-XL.jpg

DAV_6281-XL.jpg

I began to get the feeling people there did not like their picture been taken; (I know better now)

DAV_6289-XL.jpg

DAV_6568-XL.jpg

We set up the portable dental chair in this handicap association and had the handicap villagers come down from their villages in the hills for free dental work.

DAV_6439-XL.jpg

DAV_6476-XL.jpg

DAV_6492-XL.jpg

DAV_6429-XL.jpg

It was such a blessing to work with these people. More rewarding than anything I've ever done.
One of the workers there, had spoke with the locals about doing family portraits, so I had the opportunity to shoot dozens of families that would otherwise turn away from the camera. Prints are on their way, and will be sent back to them soon. Out of respect and my word, I told them they would not be shared. (there was a few in another village that didn't care but we'll see)

After 3 days and pulling probably 300+ teeth, we headed up the Atlas mountains and over them to Ouarazate.

DAV_6513-XL.jpg

Our little Renault diesel minivan was awesome!

DAV_6528-XL.jpg

DAV_6536-XL.jpg

Several berber villages throughout this valley, hidden in the natural colors of the earth.

DAV_6545-XL.jpg

DAV_6552-XL.jpg

DAV_6562-XL.jpg

DAV_6541-XL.jpg

DAV_6570-XL.jpg

DAV_6551-XL.jpg

DAV_6577-XL.jpg

DAV_6533-XL.jpg

DAV_6535-XL.jpg

DAV_6579-XL.jpg

DAV_6580-XL.jpg

DAV_6587-XL.jpg

DAV_6590-XL.jpg

Suppose thats good for now.

Comments

• babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    Are you a dentist?

I'm currently applying for dental schools, but the general consensus is that despite the good intentions, these "dental mission trips" are the worst there is... unlicensed volunteers performing extractions and such.
    Sorry about the off-topic /rant.

The valley shot looks great!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    No, my friend is. He worked tirelessly 10-12 hours a day with maybe a 30 minute break. We got so many hugs, and heart felt thank yous from these people cause we come to learn that the local dentists don't use the topical, and if they do use any pain killer, they don't let it set in before pulling. He was very careful and painless, and they loved him. Unfortunately they just don't brush. They all had gum disease, and tooth decay. He was able to do several complicated procedures that took 1-2 hours and it was really neat. He also has in the past worked with a local dentist in one of the villages but he was not there this time to help.
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    That's awesome! I'd love to go on a mission trip with a licensed dentist someday.. Looks like you guys did a great deed for those people!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
    edited November 18, 2013
    Yes thanks!
  • kobistarkobistar Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2013
    Thats great! I could feel the scenery from your shots.
    Good work!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    loved to see photos from remote village! looks very peaceful
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited November 23, 2013
    Thanks Awais. In my ignorant American bubble, I had my presuppositions and ill feelings toward the people with head coverings. The Arab-Islamic (sunni, I believe) people have without a doubt proven to me to be the nicest, warmest, big hearted people I've ever come across in all my travels. I would love to sell everything here and move to Morocco and live there. And yes, it was very peaceful. Thanks!

Here are the rest. Morocco
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 23, 2013
    Interesting places that you visited. Always nice to see things like that.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 23, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Interesting places that you visited. Always nice to see things like that.

Thanksthumb.gif
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2013
    Thanks Awais. In my ignorant American bubble, I had my presuppositions and ill feelings toward the people with head coverings. The Arab-Islamic (sunni, I believe) people have without a doubt proven to me to be the nicest, warmest, big hearted people I've ever come across in all my travels. I would love to sell everything here and move to Morocco and live there. And yes, it was very peaceful. Thanks!

It's funny how with our own huge and fairly recent history of civil rights and racial equality, Americans still hold on to societal perceptions or expectations of other places and people we really know nothing about. Travel in China, living in Muslim communities, and other countries being "dangerous", are a few I've experienced where the expectations of people I know and even sometimes myself were totally wrong. I think everyone ought to travel in their youth as a part of their education, to realize that everywhere around the world, with all our differences and peculiarities, we all really are pretty much the same. I value these experiences far more than my formal schooling.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited November 25, 2013
    coldclimb wrote: »
    It's funny how with our own huge and fairly recent history of civil rights and racial equality, Americans still hold on to societal perceptions or expectations of other places and people we really know nothing about. Travel in China, living in Muslim communities, and other countries being "dangerous", are a few I've experienced where the expectations of people I know and even sometimes myself were totally wrong. I think everyone ought to travel in their youth as a part of their education, to realize that everywhere around the world, with all our differences and peculiarities, we all really are pretty much the same. I value these experiences far more than my formal schooling.

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb