Shipping Charges went UP

PhilmarPhilmar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited November 19, 2013 in SmugMug Product News
I had two orders today and just noticed the min. shipping went from $2.99 to $3.99, When did this Happen?? did I miss it, didn't see any announcements. This is NOT a GOOD thing. they were already to high. This will definitely hurt the small orders. Now SM is the same min shipping as the OTHER company....I don't know if I have the time but it is definitely time to look into self-fulfillment with the other company :dunno

Comments

• tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 18, 2013
    Philmar,

It has been many years since we've adjusted shipping prices, but in the meantime shippers have been steadily increasing what they charge. So we finally had to adjust most shipping methods by about $1.

I wish we had a better answer for you.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Well, you could start by answering the questions in the OP:
    When did this Happen?? did I miss it, didn't see any announcements.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
    edited November 18, 2013
    Beardedgit,

This change has been made a week ago.

Take care,
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
    edited November 18, 2013
    Beardedgit,

This change has been made a week ago.

Take care,
    Thanks for the info thumb.gif
    What about the announcement? ne_nau.gif
    edited November 18, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Thanks for the info thumb.gif
    What about the announcement? ne_nau.gif

No, there was no announcement for this.
    edited November 18, 2013
    No, there was no announcement for this.
    Thanks for your honesty, you've saved me having to trawl my emails looking for a non-existent courtesy message.
  • mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    philmar,

it has been many years since we've adjusted shipping prices, but in the meantime shippers have been steadily increasing what they charge. So we finally had to adjust most shipping methods by about $1.

Have shippers increased what they charge that much to justify charging me $31 for the USPS regular shipping (NOT even UPS!!!) when BayPhoto charges for the same service $0 (ZERO)? I realize that I pay for your "handling"... but for this price I hope you wore freaking golden gloves when packaging my images. Oh, wait, I suppose you do not even package them - BayPhoto is doing that and re-branding the envelopes to SmugMug? right?
  • zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    Have shippers increased what they charge that much to justify charging me $31 for the USPS regular shipping (NOT even UPS!!!) when BayPhoto charges for the same service $0 (ZERO)? I realize that I pay for your "handling"... but for this price I hope you wore freaking golden gloves when packaging my images. Oh, wait, I suppose you do not even package them - BayPhoto is doing that and re-branding the envelopes to SmugMug? right?

Can you show me an example where you are seeing this? I need to know what product, size, and print lab you are shipping from.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
    edited November 18, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Can you show me an example where you are seeing this? I need to know what product, size, and print lab you are shipping from.

Order from karenmorsephotography.com, the last four digits of the order are ..... 6337. That order, from Bay Photo, only the Bayphoto portion of the order, would've been shipped for free. F R E E! Do I relay believe it would be free? No, of course not:) I know very well they are making enough margin on the prints prices. But with SM I am for... what am I paying for exactly?

Oliver Williams
    OCT 25, 2013 | 08:38AM PDT
    Hi again Michael,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've had a look at your order and I am seeing that the large quantity of prints from Bay photo cost $31.95 with 3-5 business day shipping, and the merchandise from EZ Prints cost $8.95 with the same shipping method.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concenrs along the way.

Best,
    -Oliver
    SmugMug Support Hero

Michael
    OCT 25, 2013 | 08:43AM PDT
    Thanks! Can I also ask why shipping from BayPhoto through SmugMug ordering
    website cost me almost three times more than if I would order directly
    through BayPhoto. And I am not even mentioning that some print sizes would
    cost me less if ordering directly from Bay as well. SmugMug clearly
    advertises their prices as better than if ordering from Bay directly. Any
    thoughts or info, please? Did I do something wrong with my order that
    caused such shipping price?

Michael
    OCT 25, 2013 | 09:07AM PDT
    "...order handling on our end" - I am shocked. 15% percent of profit share
    is supposed to cover the cost of doing business, handling/processing. Once
    again - this is what you advertise the 15% is for. If, in addition to 15%
    SmugMug also upcharges for print and shipping - that is a hidden cost, not
    openly disclosed to me. What you are saying now is different than what is
    being advertised and fed to your customers.

Nick Wilson
    OCT 25, 2013 | 04:02PM PDT
    Hi

Thanks for your reply.

The 15% SmugMug retains includes credit card payment fees, customer service, and the costs of administering the program. That is explained on this page: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93354-where-s-my-money-

It doesn't say that it covers handling and processing. That is all done at the lab's end. As Oliver said, the prices you get directly through Bay or any of the labs for that matter may be different, sorry.

I wish I had a better answer for you. If you have any questions or problems, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Nick Wilson
    Connection Team
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited November 19, 2013
    .... crickets... ? :)
    edited November 19, 2013
    Thanks. That order was placed before the price of shipping increased, I can't say weather the shipping price would be higher today or not. SmugMug does not get the same shipping deals that BayPhoto can offer. There really isn't much else to add, sorry Michael. That is the price we have to charge for shipping. If a specific order shipping cost seems out of whack to you let us know and we can take a closer look to see if there was a mistake.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
    edited November 19, 2013
    Thank you, Zac. This whole thing just does not seem logical simply because we all know what the prices are. Many will upcharge their customer to cover it, many will ditch SM on favor of other services, etc. I know you are simply relaying the company's policy and have no control over this subject. Thanks for the information.
    On a side note, I just glanced at your location- seems we are neighbors:) I and other photographers shoot in Saratoga from time to time.
    edited November 19, 2013
    Yes, you are a short 15 minute drive from me :)
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
    edited November 19, 2013
    We should shoot together sometime:) My girlfriend is a photographer too and we are with this meetup(.com) Saratoga Photography Group. Very interesting an entertaining (and educational) bunch of people. Check it out if you are interested!
    edited November 19, 2013
    Cool! Shoot me a PM when you have a meetup.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero