Back to previous page... use breadcrumbs?

ReignReign Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited November 21, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
To view a gallery on my site, after loading www.nathantpham.com, one might go:

Personal Galleries, then Family & Friends, then Nhat & Mina Bday Dinner gallery.

I wonder if this is possible:
  • Inside the gallery, I want there to be (where the breadcrumb would be if I put it in at the top) "back to Family & Friends"
  • On Family & Friends, I want there to be "back to Personal Galleries"
  • On Personal Galleries, I want there to be "back to Home"

Would I do this by tweaking breadcrumbs, somehow?
www.nathantpham.com (your comments and suggestions are welcomed)

Comments

• ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    It looks like right now you don't have a breadcrumb block. I suggest adding one:
    Content/Navigation/Breadcrumb
    Drag the block and set it in place.
    Play with settings.
    Then come back with questions if you don't see what you like.
    There are a bunch of customizations possible.
  • ReignReign Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    I know I don't have a breadcrumb block. I don't like the long trail. Are those available in the breadcrumb settings? I'll play with it, but it will have to be this weekend.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited November 21, 2013
    Reign wrote: »
    I know I don't have a breadcrumb block. I don't like the long trail. Are those available in the breadcrumb settings? I'll play with it, but it will have to be this weekend.
    You don't need to show all of the levels. Set the breadcrumb settings to "Display full breadcrumb" to off.

As you have your site right now you are not showing the breadcrumb and you haven't added any text to indicate what gallery the viewer has open. The breadcrumb shows the gallery name - if you don't want to use the breadcrumb you should at least add some text in the gallery description.

Not using the breadcrumb means your visitors need to retrace their path every time they want to change galleries. In my opinion that gets old very quickly.

--- Denise
  • ReignReign Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    Okay, I'm playing with the settings now. I've got the breadcrumbs enabled... but I'd like to tweak a little further. If you notice, I drew a line below the breadcrumb.
    • Is there no way to edit the look of the breadcrumb other than the emphasize function?
    • Also, can I align the breadcrumb to the right side of the page?
    Thanks for all the help. I know I'm being a bit of a pain. :lol: