Options

Passwords are *****

time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited November 23, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have noticed that the passwords in my settings are ****, I often forget them and go into settings to see what they were, now I can not see them, can this be changed back to viewable.

thanks
Ted....
It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
Nikon
http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    It seems if I make a new password then its viewable, just the transferred ones are *****
    That works for me, I can deal with it for now...
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SmugMegSmugMeg Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Ted, for security reasons the passwords cannot be displayed after they have been added. If you add a new password, it will be visible as you are typing it, but once you save and go back in, you will just see the ****** again. So you will need to make sure that you remember the password, or use some way to keep track of the passwords that you add to various galleries and folders. If you forget you can always put in a new password, but there won't be a way to view the old one.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I wonder if anyone can elaborate on "security reasons". What exactly is the security risk this protects against, at great inconvenience to the site owner?
  • Options
    AlliOOPAlliOOP Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I wonder if anyone can elaborate on "security reasons". What exactly is the security risk this protects against, at great inconvenience to the site owner?

I'm not associated with SmugMug so I can't speak to the exact reason why, but I personally am glad they are protecting any and all passwords by not showing the letters/numbers. Anything that travels across the internet is essentially being transferred from one computer to another to another until the sent item reaches the final destination computer and that includes emails, images, text, passwords, etc.. Any item not protected by encryption or by ***** is readable on those "transmission station" computers. Most people use a single common-to-them password because a single password is easy to remember as compared to different ones for each site. Any unprotected password shown in letters/numbers on a screen would be a gold mine to unscrupulous people. I prefer the inconvenience.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Thanks for the( possible) explanation.

Of course, to actually send them to my client, I usually just send them clear on email.

I'm not sure there's much demand from nefarious types for being able to access private galleries on a website. Sitewide passwords perhaps.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I think a notice should go out to every Pro site reminding them that every gallery password
    will be hidden after unveiling. They should switch to their legacy site and copy/save them.
    This is a huge problem for those with lots of client galleries and lots of PW's.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    nicolesynicolesy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2013
    Is there any chance that the asterisks on passwords can be optional? This was just brought to my attention ... having to remember several passwords for different galleries is nearly impossible. I would have to keep a separate database, or search for the email, to remember what it was.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited November 23, 2013
    nicolesy wrote: »
    Is there any chance that the asterisks on passwords can be optional? This was just brought to my attention ... having to remember several passwords for different galleries is nearly impossible. I would have to keep a separate database, or search for the email, to remember what it was.
    Passwords can't be decrypted (as noted in the post by SmugMeg earlier in this thread). You will need to keep a log of them outside of smug.

--- Denise