Options

What exactly is the definition of "Currently Online"

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 6, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
At the bottom of the dgrin homepage, it lists users currently online. What exactly is the definition of this? How long has to go by after a dgrin access before a user isn't online anymore? Or are there some different kind of criteria?
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    At the bottom of the dgrin homepage, it lists users currently online. What exactly is the definition of this? How long has to go by after a dgrin access before a user isn't online anymore? Or are there some different kind of criteria?

Are you bored today rutt lol3.gif

It's exactly as it says it is. There is a lag, between being "online" and "offline" IOW, I could close my browsers right now, and be listed as "online" for a while - dunno how long that is.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Are you bored today rutt lol3.gif

It's exactly as it says it is. There is a lag, between being "online" and "offline" IOW, I could close my browsers right now, and be listed as "online" for a while - dunno how long that is.

Not bored at all. I need to get a hold of someone listed as being online. So I wanted to know eactly what that meant. Could the person be asleep with an open browser that s/he hasn't touched for hours? If it's based on the time of last access, perhaps s/he has walked out the door 10 minutes ago?

If you don't know, fine. But I was hoping someone, most likely you, would actually know.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Not bored at all. I need to get a hold of someone listed as being online. So I wanted to know eactly what that meant. Could the person be asleep with an open browser that s/he hasn't touched for hours? If it's based on the time of last access, perhaps s/he has walked out the door 10 minutes ago?

If you don't know, fine. But I was hoping someone, most likely you, would actually know.

It means what it means - online - but can't guarantee that they're actually in front of monitor. If you leave your machine active, and it doesn't go to sleep mode, I suppose it will be always "online"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    I think that if you access the site you're online. My guess is that the status times out after a half hour.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    Just for you, Rutt....
    ...I went to the Admin System. We're set for 1800 seconds, that's 30 minutes. This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before any unread posts are marked read. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity.

I hope this helps,
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ...I went to the Admin System. We're set for 1800 seconds, that's 30 minutes. This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before any unread posts are marked read. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity.

I hope this helps,

Thank you very much, Andy. That's the info I wanted.
    If not now, when?