Options

Ka-Boom

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited November 24, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Festivities at the Maritime Museum of San Diego to celebrate the 150 yr. anniversary of The Star of India sailing vessel.
KaBoom-XL.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2013
    If he was trying to hit the bird, I think he fired a little late. I like the shot. It's unusual and it has energy.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 20, 2013
    The Star of India is a beautiful ship. Did you get any pictures of her?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2013
    Cornflake wrote: »
    If he was trying to hit the bird, I think he fired a little late. I like the shot. It's unusual and it has energy.
    Thanks Don... yes, it is unusual and rare to see these old cannons in action - it was fun! I wanted to catch the firing at just the right moment, and I'm pretty happy with the result.
    I'm sure the bird was quite surprised... but it was unharmed - that's what it gets for photo-bombing... :D

The Cannon Crew took their duties seriously and had muster before the exhibition. deal.gif
    Cannon%20Crew-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    The Star of India is a beautiful ship. Did you get any pictures of her?
    I did Ian... to be honest though, I have never been completely satified with my images of the Star.
    Where the ship is moored is rather crowded with stuff - buildings, ticket booths, ramps, cars, etc.
    The only clear shot of her broadside is starboard from the water.... and, alas, I left my cutlass
    in the car and wasn't able to commandeer my own ship for the POV. :D
    She did sail this month for the celebration, but I missed it.
    So, I got her fore and aft, and did the best I could with the winter sun.

The%20Star%20of%20India%20fore-XL.jpg

The%20Star%20of%20India%20aft-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    Nice grab on the cannon shot, Eric. I've watched a number of such scenes when they fire the big stuff at the fort in St. Augustine. I guarantee you that the bird felt the pressure wave. You also got some very credible shots of the ship....even under the trying conditions of the surroundings.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2013
    Nice shots Eric. The cannon shot is very good, but I really like the cannon crew, what a group!