Options

Nikon 5200 or Canon T3i for starter camera?

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
edited December 1, 2013 in Cameras
My daughter has been using her phone to photograph our little grand-daughter and would like to graduate to a dslr. Nothing too expensive or fancy but she definitely wants a dslr. I am exploring the Canon T3i, Canon T5i, and Nikon 5200. (I use a Canon T4i and 7D myself.)

I think she would start off with a modest lens: Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II lens or Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens and wait a year or two to get another zoom lens.

Which camera would you recommend?

Thanks,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    Can't go wrong with either, so since you have Canon why not keep her in the family? You can share lenses with her, or if you tire of any, just give them to her.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    I would get the EF-S 18-135mm lens instead of the 18-55 one. More expensive but a better lens, IMHO.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    Thank you both! There was a Black Friday sale at our local camera store on the T3i w/18-55mm lens ($500) and $50 for a 3 yr warranty. I was able to buy it today for a January birthday and Christmas gift from her parents and sibs.

Great suggestions about the EF-S 18-135 mm lens. I often use Canon's 18-135mm STM lens as a travel lens for my T4i but had to pair this camera with a more affordable lens, knowing that she can add other lenses later. Her brother and I might well be able to loan her some lenses from time to time as well - as Jack suggested. Interestingly, our local camera store was offering the T3i with Tamron's 18-270 PZD lens, too.

Thanks again,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Thank you both! There was a Black Friday sale at our local camera store on the T3i w/18-55mm lens ($500) and $50 for a 3 yr warranty. I was able to buy it today for a January birthday and Christmas gift from her parents and sibs.

Great suggestions about the EF-S 18-135 mm lens. I often use Canon's 18-135mm STM lens as a travel lens for my T4i but had to pair this camera with a more affordable lens, knowing that she can add other lenses later. Her brother and I might well be able to loan her some lenses from time to time as well - as Jack suggested. Interestingly, our local camera store was offering the T3i with Tamron's 18-270 PZD lens, too.

Thanks again,
    Gretchen

For 500 with warranty, that is a great deal clap.gif. I am sure she'll enjoy this awesome present. Happy shooting!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    I know the D5200 more than any Canon since the 5200 is one I currently own, however I can say this:

Make sure that the camera you get is at least one step up from the absolute most basic model. In my experience the super-duper basic ones are just a little too limited and un-customizable once you start to really get a handle on photography. That, and the articulated LCD screen is awesome. (Although unfortunately I do hear that for Canon shooters with articulated LCD screens, that is the number one break-down on a camera. Maybe it is for Nikon too, but currently Canon has the worse reputation from what I've heard about articulated screens. But honestly there's a good chance the two cameras are totally equal from the standpoint of a new beginner or advanced amateur.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2013
    I know the D5200 more than any Canon since the 5200 is one I currently own, however I can say this:

Make sure that the camera you get is at least one step up from the absolute most basic model. In my experience the super-duper basic ones are just a little too limited and un-customizable once you start to really get a handle on photography. That, and the articulated LCD screen is awesome. (Although unfortunately I do hear that for Canon shooters with articulated LCD screens, that is the number one break-down on a camera. Maybe it is for Nikon too, but currently Canon has the worse reputation from what I've heard about articulated screens. But honestly there's a good chance the two cameras are totally equal from the standpoint of a new beginner or advanced amateur.

=Matt=

Matt, thank you for giving input on this. I was hoping to hear from a Nikon shooter. You make a good point about making sure the camera is at least one step up from the most basic model. I think she wants to make sure she is ready to jump back into photography with both feet before getting a more expensive camera. After reading reviews, she asked for a Canon but that was partly because the 2 Canon shooters in the family are more accessible than the Nikon shooter if she wants help.

I purchased the Canon T3i yesterday, supporting our local camera store which pretty much matches whatever price B & H offers. Of course, Amazon is now offering excellent prices on all of the cameras I was considering!

As for articulating LCD screen, I am hoping that the 3 year warranty will be helpful if that or anything else malfuncitons. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2013
    sapphire73 wrote: »

I purchased the Canon T3i yesterday, supporting our local camera store which pretty much matches whatever price B & H offers. Of course, Amazon is now offering excellent prices on all of the cameras I was considering!

As for articulating LCD screen, I am hoping that the 3 year warranty will be helpful if that or anything else malfuncitons. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

I was also going to add take a look at refurbished models like the 60D - cheaper but looks and acts new and includes the same one year warranty
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    I was also going to add take a look at refurbished models like the 60D - cheaper but looks and acts new and includes the same one year warranty

Thanks for adding your input here. Good thought.

Yesterday, I bumped into a site suggesting 2014 best entry level dslr cameras and was interested to see the Nikon 5200 (#1) and Canon T5i (#2) ranked at the top. The 60D was not far behind (#4). Looks like all of these are great choices.