Options

Itasca State Park

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited December 2, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
We took a 2 day trip to Itasca to see the fall colors and the headway to the Mississippi. Lake Itasca is the source of the Mississippi River -- this is where it starts it's 2552 mile journey to the Gulf of Mexico. Once the water of Lake Itasca rolls over the rocks it becomes the Mississippi River.

1 -- Lake Itasca

i-khptbCs-XL.jpg

2 -- Mississippi River

i-qfT562G-XL.jpg

3 -- You can walk across the rocks, but they're very slippery. I decided to walk in the water vs the rocks :D

i-S8b8Lw6-XL.jpg

4 -- One of the many beautiful lakes/sloughs/bogs they have on the White Earth Indian Reservation

i-3Mc8Nqx-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    Beautiful scenes, Mary, and well captured. I didn't know that Lake Itasca was the headwaters for the Mississippi.

Good to see you posting,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2013
    Beautiful scenes, Mary, and well captured. I didn't know that Lake Itasca was the headwaters for the Mississippi.

Good to see you posting,

Tom

Glad to hear you liked them :D The State Park is only 2 hours or so from our home and I'd not been there since I was a wee-one.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2013

Good to see you posting,

Tom

I agree, very nice scenes!
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    I agree, very nice scenes!

Thank you
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    Not many people have ever walked across the Mississippi River!

I always knew you were special clap.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Not many people have ever walked across the Mississippi River!

I always knew you were special clap.gif

It was hard to really 'take in' that it was the Mississippi River .. seemed more like a creek to me :D But it was fun.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 1, 2013
    Amazing place. Hard to imagine it as the headwaters for a river that runs to the Gulf of Mexico-the distance, and work the river does as it makes its way to the Gulf.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Amazing place. Hard to imagine it as the headwaters for a river that runs to the Gulf of Mexico-the distance, and work the river does as it makes its way to the Gulf.

Such a simple ordinary landscape we see every day, but knowing it's the beginning of something that is so huge and important .. it has one contemplating the whole function of the Mississippi river.