Options

How do you share links over facebook?

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited December 3, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hi,
In the past I was sharing my photos over facebook with share to facebook button.
I am not sure if that is correct but I feel that this has changed and now facebook does not preview the image I am sharing but the gallery's thumbnail.... Grrr...

What are the alternatives now?

R
A

Comments

• Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 30, 2013
    Hi Alajos,

Could you please give us more details? How are you sharing your photos to Facebook?

Have you tried to export your images from SmugMug to Facebook? You can read about this here:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/256170-can-i-publish-a-gallery-to-my-facebook-page-
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    Hi
    I do not want to put any of my shots in facebook. I want to show my links there. The problem is when the links appear there not the
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    alaios wrote: »
    Hi
    I do not want to put any of my shots in facebook. I want to show my links there. The problem is when the links appear there not the

I believe if you share a photo from the gallery then a link to Smugmug will get posted.

The instructions pointed to above are not complete. Would be nice if the different ways could be spelled out - right now I feel that it is pot luck what happens.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    Hi
    I am including an example.
    I have a gallery the new images I announce through facebook.

For example this one works correctly

i-J2DDm2D-M.png

while in this one
    i-RPB77sJ-M.png

not the right thumbnail appears (actually this is the gallery's thumbnail and not the image I want to announce on facebook)
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    I think the system is designed to work that way, unfortunately. I think it always has been, or, at least that's what I've seen when I post links, and I'm not unveiled yet.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    wait.. and how you explain then the first screen shot? Was that working wrong?
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    Oh, I'm sorry, I missed this. I have not seen the top one work for me.
    What are you doing differently between the two?
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Oh, I'm sorry, I missed this. I have not seen the top one work for me.
    What are you doing differently between the two?
    e x a c t l y the same thing... :(
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    Hmm well that does not make sense.
    They are different images, correct?
    Can you do a test, and publish them to FB, and then look on FB directly to see what published there? I'm thinking that even though you see the right image in the first example, once it publishes to FB, it will revert to what the 2nd example does.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    I post to facebook a lot. I've found that using the social Like button only posts the thumbnail you select to represent the gallery. If I want a specific image to appear as the thumbnail instead, I use the lightbox URL found in the "get a link" menu. This works for me every time.

i-5s5vvFx-L.png

i-NTLVJng-L.png

i-7FdvVCk-L.png

Note: The last screenshot was taken way back when metadata was not working correctly.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    COOL! clap.giflustclap.gif
    I had no idea - I thought Lightbox was a zillion miles away from a workable FB method.
    THANKS.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    If only it worked like that everywhere. I've tried posting the same lightbox URLs to Reddit but it just grabs a random thumbnail from the gallery.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Hmm well that does not make sense.
    They are different images, correct?
    Can you do a test, and publish them to FB, and then look on FB directly to see what published there? I'm thinking that even though you see the right image in the first example, once it publishes to FB, it will revert to what the 2nd example does.
    Hi no it will not revert, the visible thumbnail you see there will appear over my facebook account
    Darter02 wrote: »
    I post to facebook a lot. I've found that using the social Like button only posts the thumbnail you select to represent the gallery. If I want a specific image to appear as the thumbnail instead, I use the lightbox URL found in the "get a link" menu. This works for me every time.

i-5s5vvFx-L.png

i-NTLVJng-L.png

i-7FdvVCk-L.png

Note: The last screenshot was taken way back when metadata was not working correctly.

this did not work for my case when I paste the link in facebook no thumnail appears...
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 1, 2013
    Facebook caches thumbnails that it uses and we have seen them get stuck. Using their delinter it can help update the cache. See if that helps.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    Thanks that is a new suggestion! I appreciate,
    I tried it and I think I am getting closer

Have a look on my screenshot and the warning I get

i-8p7k3Gj-L.png

All the pictures I have on this gallery are pure uploads of my camera, so there should be soemthing going on with smugmug creating thumbnails.

Regards

A
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2013
    Frankly not going to subject my Facebook friends to trial and error. Firstly they have the delusion that I know about computers so I would look like an absolute prat. Secondly I found a better way.

I crop my chosen photo in aperture to fit my intended Facebook post (you can google the recommendations from Facebook).
    I export to my desktop.
    I login to facebook and have it fetch my version from my desktop to my photo album.
    Then I make my fb post

For a link I cut and paste my smugmug link if appropriate. Smugmug could help streamline this by letting me work from my smugmug gallery, a clear instruction guide and help with cropping would be neat!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    Thanks for the answer, but I am not gonna accept your suggestion. Some of the smug mug guys need to take this seriously under consideration. This is a service I am paying quite a lot and they have to inform me what I am doing wrong here and my facebook sharing does not work. Yes I chosen smugmug for that feature too.
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2013
    When I use the Share to Facebook button the proper thumbnail has come over 100% of the time (and I use it almost daily). I usually post to my FB photography page and then within FB share that to my personal timeline. In every instance the proper thumbnail has appeared.

Don't know what I'm doing that would be any different than you...
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    Hi, is there any smugmug guy around that wants to take over here?

Regards
    A.
  • Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 2, 2013
    Hi Alaios,

I have sent you an email. Please check your email account.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    I think I figured out what seems to cause this. The photos in question seem to be collected photos from another gallery. In that case, the "share to Facebook" option doesn't seem to include the correct photo in the post. This only seems to affect collected photos and the current workaround (as mentioned on this thread) is to get the lightbox link for the photo and post it manually on facebook.com .

I've reported the issue to our QA team for further investigation.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero