Options

Instruction for 404 page/under construction customization?

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited December 3, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I know Lamah or someone gave instructions for customizing the 404 page break, or some page where you can customize "under construction".

Could the link be posted for that? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited November 30, 2013
    Go to your 404 page by specifying an invalid URL on your site (while you are logged in). Then customize the page as desired.

For an under construction page I would recommend adding a content block on your homepage to indicate the site is under construction.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    Thank you, Denise! Okay that was fun. I realize I'm probably the only one who can appreciate this but I just have to post the image. The wizard gif is animated, his arms go up down up down putting things in the magic pot. :)
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2013
    Thanks, Denise. I know that personally I hate bland generic, invisible, flat 404 pages. When they're really generic, I think the site owner doesn't even care or want to be involved. I've been wanting to customize this page for-ever. I'm delighted SM gives us a way to do so.

I got a couple of other cute, non, er, rat-type gifs for "under construction". If anyone wants them, email me.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Thank you, Denise! Okay that was fun. I realize I'm probably the only one who can appreciate this but I just have to post the image. The wizard gif is animated, his arms go up down up down putting things in the magic pot. :)

You might mine then... http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/404
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Brando, I did see that! Kind of cute - but - in my honest opinion you run the risk of losing a whole slice of good customers. :cry
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    One question for anyone: someone asked me, are you sure the navbar at the top will be there if a page is 404? Is that the case, that visitors will see it? If not I need to change how to contact me.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    One question for anyone: someone asked me, are you sure the navbar at the top will be there if a page is 404? Is that the case, that visitors will see it? If not I need to change how to contact me.
    Yes, the navbar will be there. You can see it in this non-existent link on my site - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/badlink.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Thanks!
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    Brando, I did see that! Kind of cute - but - in my honest opinion you run the risk of losing a whole slice of good customers. :cry

And why is that?